Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 04:44 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,199 times

Advertisements

The New York Times article of 16 January asks if Canada is "suddenly hip".......

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...pgtype=article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 03:32 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
They talk about a "dawning self recognition" of hipness. I disagree, I believe most actual Canadians who care about these things have always been aware of what's going on culturally in our country. The modern scene is not that different from how it's been for ages. They mention Xavier Dolan, Justin Trudeau, Drake and Lorne Michaels. In my parents' day we had Denys Arcand, Pierre Trudeau, Neil Young and... Lorne Michaels. Snow hicks is a weird stereotype considering we have one of the most urban national populations on earth. The NYT is just trying to make news with a headline, Canada's pretty much its normal self. I dunno, I guess I've just never considered Canada uncool or unsophisticated in any way, but I've mostly lived my life in and around the big 3 cities.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 01-18-2016 at 04:46 PM..

Old 01-18-2016, 03:53 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,845 times
I already new it, but glad to know the rest of the world just might be getting it too :P!

Old 01-18-2016, 04:03 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Agreed, weird article. They talk about a "dawning self recognition" of hipness. No, obviously actual Canadians have always been aware of what's going on culturally in our country. The modern scene is not that different from how it's been for ages. They mention Xavier Dolan, Justin Trudeau, Drake and Lorne Michaels. In my parent's day we had Denys Arcand, Pierre Trudeau, Neil Young and... Lorne Michaels. Snow hicks is a weird stereotype considering we have one of the most urban national populations on earth. The NYT is just trying to make news with a headline, Canada's pretty much its normal self. I dunno, I guess I've just never considered Canada uncool or unsophisticated in any way, but I've mostly lived my life in and around the big 3 cities.
The article is coming from a place of ignorance. The author seems to see Canada as " the country that gave the world ice hockey, the snow blower and Labatt beer."
Pretty pathetic.

As you noted, we are a very modern urban country. This view of Canada as being a cultural wasteland, or being backwards is not a rare view in the US.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:27 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Canada has always been cool, specially during the 80s.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:50 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citygirlchic View Post
I understand what's going on here, the writer seems to think Canada is just joining the modern world. Exactly why do Americans regard us Canadiams and Canada as bumkin land? I notice Minnesotans and Nothdakotans refer to themselves as "south Canadians" too. They seem to be under the highly misinformed impression that Canada is a rural, hockey loving small town 20 years behind the times.
Would also like to add..Most Candian's live in Igloo's///Something I learned back in the '60's....which made us all LOL..especially when Montreal at the time hosted the Summer olympics with millions visited ( including AMERICAN"S and their media outlets)....Course, education never really taught Canadian history nor European history so much..Just whatever suited politicians of the time would allow...LOL

Ohh well, So many American's keep posting threads to demean Canada ...Hummm why..It's my understanding anyone who does such things feels either jealous/envious thus somehow MUST trash ( kind of like what politicians do daily)...LOL

As a proud Canadian..I don't give a flip!! Why? Because those attempting to trash..always expose their vulnerability....They are ENV-IOUS!!! Too bad so sad for those who feel it necessary to make themselves in short term feel better....

In the meantime..preaching..cut services/cut fundings/ deport/ blame the enslaved worker's/taxes which benefit those upper level earners.....because those workers are so low paid..THEY don't have to pay taxes..thus..TAXPAYER"S actually have to pay to bailout those Corporate Enslavers in order to maintain cheap goods....

Hey...I have NO BONE in the issues..BUT sure have an OPINION when it comes to exploiting worker's to pay SLAVE WAGES on the back of taxpayer's who subsidized the corporations ~WALMART is to top 10 of such Corporations!!!!!!!

No one will cry for the Walton's..They will laugh all the way to the bank..and none of them can take those $$$ with them when they die...So, I wonder what future generation of the Walton's will do?? Who knows?..But sure hope Humanitarian lightbulbs goes off in some of them

Old 01-22-2016, 06:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Canada from British Columbia to Nova Scotia has always been cool in my book. I am planning to visit Newfoundland next summer.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:09 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Canada from British Columbia to Nova Scotia has always been cool in my book. I am planning to visit Newfoundland next summer.
But, but, GregW, Canada is one of those "crazy gun-free zones"! Won't you feel unsafe travelling there without being armed?

Old 01-22-2016, 12:23 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
It's on my bucket list. Do they play those Newfoundland Tourism ad down there? They've had a similar feel to them over the years, ripe for parody.

Here's a real one followed by an hilarious parody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQpwDtIn4ec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJCKvpg6WTg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada