Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,123 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm a Canadian living in Calgary and I'm considering moving for University. I've done some basic research on my own but I'm interested in hearing personal opinions and experiences of each city, the good, the bad, everything!

I've been to Victoria on 3 occasions and I really enjoyed it. I've never been east of Alberta, at least when it comes to Canada, and the Maritimes definitely appeal to me as well. I really don't know what to do but I know that I no longer wish to live in Calgary, at least for the foreseeable future. Ideally I'd like to take a trip out east sometime in the spring or summer to get a feel for Halifax.

I guess a few key questions or concerns I have are related to:
*Job Market especially for part-time/student based work (can students survive?)
*Cost of Living - After rent is it possible to afford basic food and other expenses?
*Culture and sense of community - Is it easy to get settled and feel at home, make friends?

I'm in my mid 20's and I guess I'm most hopeful that I'll find a welcoming environment in either city. I've lived in Calgary my entire life, born and raised, and being entirely honest, its never really felt like home. My parents came to Canada in the 1980's from Scotland. While I identify as a Canadian, I don't really know that my roots are here in Calgary. That isn't to say Calgary is terrible, its relatively safe and a place of opportunity, it just isn't for me. I've often heard it described as a working city, where people come to find work, but nothing more beyond that, they make their money and keep to themselves. A true statement? Maybe, maybe not? I once heard a quote that has stuck with me; "People make the place" implying that you can live in any sort of environment, one that some might consider to be a hell hole or conversely a paradise, but if there is no feeling of community or sense of belonging, if you have no friends or rich, rewarding, satisfying relationships, it won't ever feel like home. Sadly I can't say Calgary provides such things, at least for me. I do have one good buddy here, and of course I'd miss my family, but my desire to leave is much stronger than my desire to stay.

I've never really been in to the party/night club scene being an introvert and one that rarely drinks, but in saying that I'm not opposed to going out to the pub now and then with friends. I love being outside and enjoy hiking, I love the ocean. When it comes to weather and climate, both cities appeal to me, I love the rain, so being on the coast isn't really a concern of mine in any way. Music, art, and cultural activities are big things in my life and I enjoy participating in sport social clubs as well.

Also, would being single and dating be particularly advantageous in either city? This might be a stupid question but are there any significant differences between West Coast women and East Coast women? I've always been someone that's wanted a relationship over a fling or anything like that; I know making generalisations is often troubling, but would one group be more open to serious or committed relationships than the other?

I was also considering St Johns, NFLD and even Charlottetown, PEI as well, but Victoria and Halifax appear to be the more appealing options at this time.

Any thoughts, opinions, and personal experiences would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 07:51 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,070,461 times
I can offer absolutely zero advice based on experience, but if it's human interaction you're looking for, I'd say maritimes, especially St. John's. Good luck finding a career there though.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:40 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,450,457 times
These are utterly personal questions, as the opinions on "the sense of community" and "people are open to dating" will vary from one person to the next. The same places may seem cold - or welcoming, to two different people. I personally found Nova Scotians clan-ish, they won't let "a stranger" too close. But you won't notice it until you've lived there for 5 years, because outwardly they are welcoming. I understand that I am generalizing; this is just one-person opinion. Halifax is a smallish city, (Victoria too, though) with shrinking tax base (greying province) and resulting economic problems. If you decide to visit the Maritimes, that would be the best, to "try it on". Try not to get too mesmerized with the fact that it is - well, the Maritimes - the ocean, the sand, the smell of seaweed in the air -- that does affect people. Try to focus on finding answers to more profound questions that you are asking.

(Cost of living is lower, so are the wages - $10 an hour, $15 after a few years. It is possible, but harder, to get a meatier job, and that is where you will start feeling the clan-like arrangement.)

Old 01-31-2016, 11:12 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,508,936 times
A friend's son is in the Navy, and he was offered that very choice. He chose Victoria, and he loves it there.

Me late sainted mum was Scottish born, aye, she was from Dundee. Given that, perhaps you might feel more drawn towards the east coast. Personally, if I had to choose, I'd take Halifax over Victoria any day.

I've never been down east. Have been out west, though, and it's got its advantages and draws, but I am just not a westerner at heart.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:47 PM

394 posts, read 597,855 times
Both are beautiful and lovely cities and Victoria obviously has the nicer climate. Conversely you will find Victoria much more expensive. The wages in the two cities are roughly the same because they are the same size, civil service government towns, have navy yards, and are big tourist draws.

Halifax probably is better for a young person as Victoria isn't called "home of the newlywed and nearly dead" for nothing. It is a more staid and reserved kind of place so as someone under 30 I think you would find Halifax a lot more fun and interesting.

Again both are wonderful so there really isn't a "bad" option but as a young person I think you would find Halifax a better bet.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:29 AM

625 posts, read 1,389,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Halifax probably is better for a young person as Victoria isn't called "home of the newlywed and nearly dead" for nothing. It is a more staid and reserved kind of place so as someone under 30 I think you would find Halifax a lot more fun and interesting.
This is pretty old news. Despite perhaps the best efforts of the old guard, Victoria has evolved into a pretty happening place, full of summer music festivals, decent nightlife for young people, coffeeshops, brewpubs, co-working spaces, a farm-to-table scene that was just written up in the New York Times, two universities, and is a destination for those who love the outdoors, with a fair bit of a countercultural aspect to it. There is an MEC right downtown, kayaking and hiking not far away, surfing and skiing on the island, and lots to do for a city this size. We're seeing more people from the Lower Mainland coming to start families as well. I think any young person would enjoy Victoria. Of course, I hear Halifax is nice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada