Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2016, 04:20 PM

431 posts, read 516,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think Aussies act like Aussies, not Americans.

Canadians seem American to me.
At the end of the day Canadians have a lot in common with Americans and act like Americans. For some reason Canadians on here think that all americans act like we are from the south. New England, the midwest, and western Americans all share great similarities with Canadians. I've travelled internationally and no matter how hard Canadians try to deny how close our people are culturally, the rest of the world shares your same views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 04:30 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,315,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
of course australia is more british , canada looks to the usa first and foremost
History actually indicates the reverse.

When the American colonies revolted against the crown because their rights as “Englishmen” were not respected, empire loyalists fled to Canada so they could remain 'British". Meanwhile, the British then had to find a new place to send the troublesome poor who were at odds with the establishment, along with political 'trouble makers' and those agitating for freedom from British rule in places like Ireland. And so came about the first white 'settlements' in Australia.

Those dynamics have echoed down through history.

When Canadians and Australians were establishing the form of government for their new federations, Australia chose a model that was far more influenced by American thinking compared to that adopted by Canada. Even the Westminster aspects of Australia’s system were subject to US constitutional federalist concepts of checks and balances: the powers of the Governor General were codified and hence limited, and the legislature was given control over the executive, to the extent that it can shut down the day to day activities of government by blocking budget bills. And of course, voting was made compulsory in Australia to further ensure that the people controlled the government, and not the reserve.

Fast forward to World War One, which both Australia and Canada entered with volunteer armies. Both governments wanted to introduce conscription to ensure their forces remained viable. While the Canadian government succeeded, Australians voted twice to reject conscription for the war. If you read histories of the debates around those votes, you’ll see than even in that time period there were a lot of Australian who certainly did not regard themselves as ‘British', or even supporters of the ‘British Empire’.

Fast forward again to WWII. Canada essentially fought to support Great Britain, while British-Australian relations reached a crisis point for number of reasons. The then Australian PM John Curtin’s famous “we turn America” speech clearly signalled the end of Britain’s role as a significant security partner for Australia.

In the post WWII era, both are far, far more influenced by the US, culturally and economically.

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 08-19-2016 at 04:45 PM..

Old 08-19-2016, 04:35 PM

7,639 posts, read 5,410,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
At the end of the day Canadians have a lot in common with Americans and act like Americans. For some reason Canadians on here think that all americans act like we are from the south. New England, the midwest, and western Americans all share great similarities with Canadians. I've travelled internationally and no matter how hard Canadians try to deny how close our people are culturally, the rest of the world shares your same views.
One fundamental difference is that Americans tend to focus on the concept of a free society (individual rights) where Canadians focus on the idea of a just society. Religion in politics doesn't play well in Canada either.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:49 PM

3,426 posts, read 4,331,792 times
Per capita, Australia has about twice as many expatriate Brits living there as Canada does. So I'd expect Australia to have a much more visible British cultural connection.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:00 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,096,251 times
Australia NZ and Britain share a pub culture, Cxnadians don't really feature if I am honest

Old 08-19-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Australia NZ and Britain share a pub culture, Cxnadians don't really feature if I am honest
A lot of Aussies wish Australia did have a pub culture like the UK does.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Per capita, Australia has about twice as many expatriate Brits living there as Canada does. So I'd expect Australia to have a much more visible British cultural connection.

You'll find a lot are like former PM Gillard, who came here in their preschool years (3 or 4 years old?) with their families and have no real memory of the UK. And Australia also has significantly more migrants from countries outside the British Isles.

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 08-19-2016 at 05:26 PM..

Old 08-19-2016, 09:04 PM

3,426 posts, read 4,331,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
There's a certain segment of Canadians who frequent pubs, it's almost like a hardcore subculture here. There are a few historic pubs, and some dives, but mainly chain-type yuppie watering holes. "Bars" are like a totally different concept here; they have a trendier vibe, and aren't known for having a regular crowd. Pub=craft brew. Bar=cocktails.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:21 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,337,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
I too have travelled and in the land of stereotypes, the loud ones are, Americans, Australians, and Germans.

That is what I meant by behaving like Americans. Canadians can be loud of course, but in general we " don't like to make a fuss ".

This is NOT denying that we have a lot in common with Americans, but there are fundamental differences in the Canadian mindset from the American mindset.

Just look at your debates about healthcare, abortion, gay rights etc.

Look at your outward views of the world as a super power. That also has an effect on a nations mindset.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:23 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,337,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think Aussies act like Aussies, not Americans.

Canadians seem American to me.
Well people are people everywhere and there are more commonalities than differences. My comment was about the brashness of Australians and Americans. It's similar. Canadians...tend to be less in your face...until we have a few pints
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada