Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 04:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The first is not particularly outrageous fare for prime time TV. At least not by my standards.

The second one was never aired by the CBC. Codco proposed it for its CBC program but it was rejected for broadcast. It caused quite a brouhaha among the group's members and their fans.

But there is no way the CBC would broadcast something like this - certainly not in prime time.

Outrageous, no. Brash, yes.

The second one was rejected because at the time there was that Mt Cashel scandal happening. So IMO it was the timing not the content, since CBC later did air that skit in a BEST OF CODCO SPECIAL in prime time.

Another skit that did air with no issue as far as I"m aware, was the Queen and Phillip having martini's. Butler asks them if they want it "orally or anally ". " Anally, I think " said the Queen. Butler goes out and gets a trolly equipped with a hose and bends the Queen over a desk..I'll leave the rest to you imagination. Still pretty raunchy stuff for prime time.

Last edited by Natnasci; 10-09-2017 at 04:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
My bad, I just read the last page. lol. But either way those are really not all that brash, so you kind of made Fish & Chips point. But I admit I have a very sick sense of humour, so not much really shocks me.
My sense of humour can be pretty base at times as well.

IDK. I think the second one is pretty irreverent .

Old 10-10-2017, 08:16 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Outrageous, no. Brash, yes.

The second one was rejected because at the time there was that Mt Cashel scandal happening. So IMO it was the timing not the content, since CBC later did air that skit in a BEST OF CODCO SPECIAL in prime time.

Another skit that did air with no issue as far as I"m aware, was the Queen and Phillip having martini's. Butler asks them if they want it "orally or anally ". " Anally, I think " said the Queen. Butler goes out and gets a trolly equipped with a hose and bends the Queen over a desk..I'll leave the rest to you imagination. Still pretty raunchy stuff for prime time.
Prime time? Colour me skeptical...

Old 10-10-2017, 09:15 AM

According to Rewind and Search: Conversations with the Makers and Decision-Makers of CBC Television Drama, by Mary Jane Miller, CODCO was moved from censored time slots in prime time to an 11 pm time slot, which is when the more controversial sketches were aired.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
According to Rewind and Search: Conversations with the Makers and Decision-Makers of CBC Television Drama, by Mary Jane Miller, CODCO was moved from censored time slots in prime time to an 11 pm time slot, which is when the more controversial sketches were aired.
OK, so they were in Prime Time. I remember them being on right after Kids in the Hall.

The sketch I posted though, was in the special, which as far as I remember was in Prime Time, but I can't find proof.

Well at least we are getting somewhere. You learned that CBC actually DID air that episode, and that the show for a lot of it's run was in Prime Time.

I learned that it got moved to a different time slot.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:09 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Canadians have a more 'Americanized' accent, whereas Australian and NZ accents can still be confused with a few British accents.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Canadians have a more 'Americanized' accent, whereas Australian and NZ accents can still be confused with a few British accents.
Not sure how good " my ear " is for these things, but I find New Zealand accents much softer. Aussie accents with their elongated vowels have that in common with a lot of US accents...different accents though. If that makes sense.

Canadians don't elongate their vowels as much.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Not sure how good " my ear " is for these things, but I find New Zealand accents much softer. Aussie accents with their elongated vowels have that in common with a lot of US accents...different accents though. If that makes sense.

The Australian accent is quite twangy to my ear, in spite of its obvious British inflections.

A once knew a guy from England whom I originally mistook for an Australian. He said that's because the Australian accent originated in the part of England where he's from. (In the SE.)

Old 10-12-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
The Australian accent is quite twangy to my ear, in spite of its obvious British inflections.

A once knew a guy from England whom I originally mistook for an Australian. He said that's because the Australian accent originated in the part of England where he's from. (In the SE.)
I can see that happening, but the following is a bit of a stretch for me. Possibly because I'm familiar with French and Quebecois accents.

The other day I was in my elevator. You get to know or recognize a lot of the people that live in my building. There is this nice young family from Mexico. Really friendly and talkative. To me it's an obvious Mexican accent, but this one guy who has lived in the building quite a while was chatting to the Mexican father and asked if his kids are in French Immersion. The father said no. The guy seemed surprised and asked but your French?

That REALLY surprised me. The father said no, we're Mexican. Made me chuckle.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:07 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,342,969 times
Quote:

The rising inflection is another point of similarity between Australian and a lot of US accents. Brits, Canadians and Europeans seem to find it confusing, if not irritating. It probably goes back to the strong Irish influence in both countries.

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 10-12-2017 at 04:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada