Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 11:08 PM

984 posts, read 1,313,482 times

Advertisements

I find Kiwi accents not as broad and coarse sounding as Australia's. Frankly I find Australian English as bad as Quebec French which is a nauseating dialect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 12:27 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I find Kiwi accents not as broad and coarse sounding as Australia's. Frankly I find Australian English as bad as Quebec French which is a nauseating dialect.
In all fairness it depends on the person. There are many Australians that don't have as strong as sounding twang as others, just like some Quebecois have this " horse French " accent and others sound much more subtle.

Generally, the more urban, the less strong sounding.

Like English Canada....the more country, the more we say " eh " every two seconds.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:49 AM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
Australian accents are not regional as in many other countries but more linked to social class. But the difference is no way as pronounced as in the UK.
When I have been overseas for a couple of months or longer I get a bit of a shock to hear our accent all around me. It is rather grating, but what can you do? It is as it is!
But we tease the poor Kiwis mercilessly about their accent and the way they pronounce the short i vowel. Actually we were on a holiday tour earlier in the year and we found the Kiwi couple from the South Island harder to understand than the couple from Scotland.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:13 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,342,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Australian accents are not regional as in many other countries but more linked to social class. But the difference is no way as pronounced as in the UK.
There are regional variations though, but agreed, nowhere near as pronounced as in the UK or US. South Australians are usually pretty easy to pick, while northern Queenslanders quite often pronounce certain vowels quite distinctly, and Victorians are subtly different than people from NSW.

A lot of people from rural NSW and Qld speak in a more pronounced drawl than their city counterparts.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:23 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
You do realize that Australian English has different variations, just like the British and American accents?

You can might as well say you find American English 'nauseating' because of Mississippians and Texans.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:53 PM

269 posts, read 199,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
You do realize that Australian English has different variations, just like the British and American accents?

You can might as well say you find American English 'nauseating' because of Mississippians and Texans.
......but Australian English has far less variations than the other two.
And the variations in Australian English are nowhere near as different as regional accents in the other countries

Old 10-23-2017, 02:42 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
For this I'd broadly agree.

But my experience with the British is that many of them will still pay lip service to (having) affinities with Canadians.

It often begins with a comment that Canadians are more "chill" and easy-going than their neighbours to the south, but the conversation quickly diverts to "so... about those (American) neighbours of yours..." or something to that effect.

I've always gotten the impression that Canadians in the UK are a well-liked afterthought, and that even if they're somewhat higher-maintenance (writ large) than Canadians, Americans and their country are seen as infinitely more interesting.

I thought about this thread over the weekend. I went out for a drink with a childhood friend of mine who just came back from a cruise in the Mediterranean. It was the first trip overseas for he and his wife.

He is of French Canadian origin but has lived all his life in Ontario. All of which to say is that his accent is standard Canadian in English, and he speaks decent French but with a discernable anglo accent. His wife is an Anglo-Canada who speaks almost no French.

Anyway, so they're on the good ship lollipop for a week, mingling as regular Canadians with the kaleidoscope of nationalities.

He mentioned without me asking that on two occasions during the week, different British passengers upon learning he was Canadian wanted to talk to him about Trump. In both cases he really had the impression the Brits thought Trump was *his* President. And when he tried to impress upon them that Canadians can't vote in US elections, they said "oh yeah, that's right"... but still pressed on with the discussion about Trump.

Last edited by Acajack; 10-23-2017 at 02:52 PM..

Old 10-24-2017, 01:30 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longaotian View Post
And the variations in Australian English are nowhere near as different as regional accents in the other countries
its a new country , people could move around the country easily from the get go , in the middle ages , to travel thirty miles was a big deal for many

Old 10-24-2017, 10:30 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longaotian View Post
That's not the point. Just like many national dialects, Australian English has an 'educated' or refined dialect, which is far from grating, and is the standard dialect among Australians living in the city (maybe besides Brisbanians). On the other hand, we have the rural or broad Australian accent, which is the stereotypical one and most exposed in international media (Crocodile Dundee, Steve Irwin) - It's not so pleasant to the ear. You cannot ignorantly confuse the latter with the former, and think all Australians sound like that (as one user is doing here). That's just as absurd as thinking all Americans sounds like cowboys and Brits sound like the queen.

Watch this and you'll get the gist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH4ZQH_3_pE&t=2s

Old 10-25-2017, 01:03 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,342,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
That's not the point. Just like many national dialects, Australian English has an 'educated' or refined dialect, which is far from grating, and is the standard dialect among Australians living in the city (maybe besides Brisbanians). On the other hand, we have the rural or broad Australian accent, which is the stereotypical one and most exposed in international media (Crocodile Dundee, Steve Irwin) - It's not so pleasant to the ear.
I agree totally with you that there is more variation in Australian accents than a lot of folk from overseas realize, or are attuned to. But I wouldn't say there are “educated” and “uneducated” accents, or correlations between accent and education or “success”. Most educated and successful folk I’ve met are characterised by a quiet, certain confidence, and with it the tendency to speak in a way that’s natural to them. Most have spoken in a typical broad accent, and if they’re from more rural backgrounds, then that slow country drawl is usually pretty evident. I’d even say that people who contrive a “sophisticated” accent are more often than not viewed as shallow, or pretentious.

Personally I really like the slow, pronounced drawl you hear a lot in inland NSW and Qld; there’s a relaxed warmth to it that’s quite appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada