Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2008, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,668 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

New to this great site.
I am a Canadian, and currently live in Belize, Central America.
My fiance is a Belizean - does he require a VISA to visit Canada with me on a trip home? Is there some kind of *health?/next of kin?/sympathy? clause* to speed up his getting of a VISA? That is, can letting someone in a consulate somewhere know about my need for better (i.e. Canadian health care - just had miscarriage) help us speed up getting a VISA if, in fact, he does require one??

Grateful for any help.

We are seeking to move permanently there. Will it be easier to say that he is just coming for a visit - and to then start the paper filing for legal/residency status once in Canada - or, to start it now?

Due to recent (i.e. election 2 days ago) political changes we are wanting to be out asap - like mid-March by latest.

Any help would be so appreciated.
Cskahlou.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 09:11 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,779,685 times
If your boyfriend is a citizen of Belize, he will require a Temporary Resident Visa (visitor visa) to transit or visit Canada.

All the requirements and processes are explained at:

Visiting Canada

Unless they are exceptional circumstances, people entering Canada on a TR visa are required to file their application for Permanent Resident's status from their home country and to await the results of that application in their home country. PR applications may take up to 2 years to process.

Information about PR applications in available at :

Immigrating to Canada

You are a Canadian citizen and have the right to return to Canada at any time you wish. While there are exceptions to every rule, it's doubtful that your boy friend would be given a "short cut" because of your relationship.

The Canadian visa center responsible for Belize is located in Guatemala City. Contact them to get answers for your specific circumstances. The Guatemala City visa center's contact information can be found at:

Canadian Visa Office - Guatemala City

Old 02-24-2008, 08:37 AM

2 posts, read 5,668 times
Default Your reply

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, have hit the Canadian gov site - for appls/etc.

I am hoping - as we are moving to Edmonton, AB [such a tremendous need for workers!] that "an employer letter" may speed up the Permanent Residence appls.

Thot we'd extend his Visitor's Visas as we filed for Permanent Resident with an Employer's Letter...while in Canada.

We'd been advised that that would be okay - sounds like you may not be saying so...hmm...I guess, I could bring an Imm lawyer into the scene soon - just holding off on the fees as long as we could.

We will marry in September 2008 - so, hopefully, that will help...

Thanks kindly,
Kahlou.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:16 AM

315 posts, read 1,627,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cskahlou View Post
I am hoping - as we are moving to Edmonton, AB [such a tremendous need for workers!] that "an employer letter" may speed up the Permanent Residence appls.
With very few exceptions, your boyfriend will not be able to work in Canada without a Temporary Work Permit or Permanent Residency. Permanent Residency can be expedited (6-9 mos total time) through the Provincial Nominee Program (if he is a skilled/semi-skilled employee and has an appropriate company that wants to sponsor him). The PNP program only costs a couple of thousand dollars (plus attorney's fees if you use one).

Of course, the trick is finding an employer that will commit to hiring someone many months before the person can even start.

Alberta, Canada - Immigration : Alberta Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada