Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2016, 05:39 PM

389 posts, read 276,494 times

Advertisements

Lately I have been seeing a lot of provincial tug of wars with the countries federal money allocations and rights. Quebec wants to separate yet keep all the perks of being united, B.C. doesn't want a pipeline to export oil from Alberta but wants to supply Hydro to them therefore Alberta won't buy Hydro until they can build a pipeline. Is it just me or does our country seem to be falling apart in the sand box of provincial politics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 05:45 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki66 View Post
Lately I have been seeing a lot of provincial tug of wars with the countries federal money allocations and rights. Quebec wants to separate yet keep all the perks of being united, B.C. doesn't want a pipeline to export oil from Alberta but wants to supply Hydro to them therefore Alberta won't buy Hydro until they can build a pipeline. Is it just me or does our country seem to be falling apart in the sand box of provincial politics?
The conundrum of elected representatives having to respond to constituents who do NOT have the welfare of the entire country foremost in their minds.

Takes a formidable, charismatic and intelligent federal leader to navigate and stimulate co-operation. We may have lucked out this time.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
The conundrum of elected representatives having to respond to constituents who do NOT have the welfare of the entire country foremost in their minds.

Takes a formidable, charismatic and intelligent federal leader to navigate and stimulate co-operation. We may have lucked out this time.

True and while other countries issues are important our Countries Leader/Parent needs to turn some focus on his provincial children. If he doesn't they will never learn to be a team. Trudeau does seem to have the ambition to make it happen. Let's hope he can do it.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:47 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
Nikki, you have asked a constitutional law question, and one that is very difficult to answer at this point.

Understand, first, that this is "separation of powers" question, and should be answered at Constitution ss. 91-95 of the constitution. More specifically, we might be able to find our answer at s. 92A, which gives the province rights over resources. Easy so far, but Alberta, for example, can only ship its oil through other provinces. Rail is a solution (as per s. 92(10)(a)) being federally-regulated, as is a pipeline, under the same section, but you can begin to see that the feds and the provinces are going to bump up against each other in this debate.

So, do Ontario and Quebec have the constitutional right to stop interprovincial shipments of oil via rail? Do they have the right to stop the Energy East pipeline? Can the feds invoke s. 92(10)(c) and declare a pipeline for the advantage of Canada, thus overturning whatever Quebec and Ontario want? Would today's federal government do such a thing? Good questions all, and they are yet to be determined.

Nobody knows at this point. But it is a constitutional law question that will be answered in due course.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:38 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Quebec wants to separate yet keep all the perks of being united, ]
Well, Quebec doesn't want to separate at the moment and this won't likely be the case for a while if it does re-energize.

And the people who do want Quebec to separate aren't looking to keep their ''perks'' if by perks you mean equalization.

If you mean continuing to trade, then yeah they want to keep that. But I am not sure I'd describe that as a perk. Everyone trades with everyone around the world these days. Even the Israelis trade with the Palestinians. The Armenians with the Azeris.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:27 AM

My question was basically do our provincial leaders seem to be acting immature. Rather than helping each other I'm seeing "if I can't do this then you can't do that". Just work together and be happy. That's all I"m saying

Old 03-06-2016, 12:24 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
My question was basically do our provincial leaders seem to be acting immature. Rather than helping each other I'm seeing "if I can't do this then you can't do that". Just work together and be happy. That's all I"m saying
But, but, but, you're ignoring the electorate who put the leaders in there to exact vengeance upon other provinces for perceived slights in the past. Most of them got elected of late by promising to bring Ottawa to it's knees.

It's like the old 'shop steward' conundrum; to get elected just pick a fight with the foreman in the middle of the shop floor for all to see.

Now you're in office you have to maintain your 'bully' image to remain in office. A fool's errand...nothing worthwhile gets done by confrontation other than to increase the cleaning budget to get rid of the resultant mess.

Why do you think Ontario gets the privilege of being hated by virtually all the others......goodness me, look where Ottawa happens to be situated. Never mind the majority of PM's have been Quebec natives.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Nikki, you have asked a constitutional law question, and one that is very difficult to answer at this point.

Understand, first, that this is "separation of powers" question, and should be answered at Constitution ss. 91-95 of the constitution. More specifically, we might be able to find our answer at s. 92A, which gives the province rights over resources. Easy so far, but Alberta, for example, can only ship its oil through other provinces. Rail is a solution (as per s. 92(10)(a)) being federally-regulated, as is a pipeline, under the same section, but you can begin to see that the feds and the provinces are going to bump up against each other in this debate.

So, do Ontario and Quebec have the constitutional right to stop interprovincial shipments of oil via rail? Do they have the right to stop the Energy East pipeline? Can the feds invoke s. 92(10)(c) and declare a pipeline for the advantage of Canada, thus overturning whatever Quebec and Ontario want? Would today's federal government do such a thing? Good questions all, and they are yet to be determined.

Nobody knows at this point. But it is a constitutional law question that will be answered in due course.
I've been taking a look at these sections. S. 92(10)(c) is quite interesting. It states that the Federal Government can intervene is it is for the good of two or more provinces. I will be reading on it a bit more but at this point there are a lot of amendments to consider and read through as well. Peter Lougheed played a great part in some amendments. Thank you for the info

Old 03-08-2016, 07:21 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
that is not an issue with "our provincial leaders". That applies to democratic politics in general. Party one blocks the reasonable proposal of party two not because it doesn't agree with it, but for the sake of forcing party two to vote for other proposals. don't we see enough of that?

this is why getting anything done is extremely difficult because everyone has another agenda for supporting you in whatever issues.

this troubles countries with federal systems such as the US and Canada more than those more centralized countries.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:56 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

I won't debate charismatic and intelligent. Formidable remains to be seen. So far it's just been "sunny ways" and the hard days are ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada