Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2016, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 681 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am a US Citizen but my biological father is canadian born. My father passed away in halifax, nova scotia but was born in Edmonton, Alberta. I would like to obtain dual citizenship but I am wondering what documents I need in order to do so. Father's birth and/or death certificate? etc etc

also do i need to apply for proof of citizenship before I can obtain a passport or do I just apply for a canadian passport straightaway?

cheers and thank you in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 02:34 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Every person born outside Canada but within one generation of the native-born or naturalized citizen parent is automatically a Canadian citizen by descent

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng

Old 04-01-2016, 05:20 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,295,494 times
And in case you didn't follow the link, a link is on that one to apply for your documents. Once you have those, you can apply for a passport.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:40 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
I'm in a similar situation. I'm planning to go through the process to claim my citizenship since I fall under the Canadian by descent category (my mother), but it's looking like spouses aren't automatically included, so I think my husband might have to go through the standard immigration process from scratch. If you have a spouse or dependents, be aware that this may be the case. Based on my research, they can't just up and live with you in Canada just because you're a citizen.

(I am not a lawyer.)

Old 04-01-2016, 10:10 PM

446 posts, read 397,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Every person born outside Canada but within one generation of the native-born or naturalized citizen parent is automatically a Canadian citizen by descent

Citizenship

That link is to the Canadian embassy in Germany. Do you know the web address for this information for people in countries other than Germany? I am in the US.

This seems interesting:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen...ules/index.asp

Old 04-02-2016, 01:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Sharp eye Siskia i totally missed that.
The German version is certainly written in a much clearer and concise fashion that the Canadian version which seems overly complex and as a result i now have no idea on a brief scan if our op is eligible for Canadian citizen by decent.
Changes to citizenship rules

I'd presume this clause would apply to our op=

Quote:
In 2009, you became a Canadian citizen if you:

• were born outside Canada in the first generation to a Canadian parent on or after January 1, 1947 and you lost or never had citizenship due to former citizenship provisions;

Old 04-02-2016, 06:32 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,797 times
Once a person has established their Canadian Citizenship...they can do a spousal sponsorship application, for a spousal VISA. That allows the spouse and any dependant minor children to live in Canada.

The spousal sponsorship VISA is detailed in this link.

Sponsor your spouse, partner or children

Remember that in order to use this method, a person has to first establish their citizenship status.

Jim B.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:22 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,133,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Remember that in order to use this method, a person has to first establish their citizenship status.

Jim B.
And bear in mind it took 22 months for my kids to get their citizenship certificates applying from the US. Only now can they apply for a passport.

Application for a citizenship certificate (adults and minors)

At least the process wasn't too onerous in terms of paperwork, the most unnerving part was the complete radio silence from the government as to what was going on, the website didn't update beyond application received. But we had time and were patient and one day they just showed up.

Right now the website is showing 9 months but I wouldn't trust that, unless our delay was a Harper thing.

And no, spouses aren't automatically inlcuded if you want to move back. You should apply for a (outland) permanent residence card, which could take a year or so depending on the spouses country of origin.

Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada