Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 09:30 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,728,899 times

Advertisements

Hi,

What do you think about this situation? These parents are being charged in their young son's death because they did not seek proper medical attention in time. They tried home remedies and a nathropath before going to a hospital. Once they got to the hospital it was too late.

I have very mixed feelings about this.

Naturopath recommended hospital for sick boy

© Facebook David and Collet Stephan, pictured with their children and a photograph of Ezekiel, who died from meningitis.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:28 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,295,494 times
The only mixed feelings I have is in regards to if their remaining children should be taken away before they kill them too with their quackery.

It's neglect and manslaughter. Zero sympathy for the parents. I can't imagine putting your child through that as a willing choice.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:47 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
I feel about them the very same way I do about these retarded anti-vaxers who are willing to risk not only their children's heath but the health and welfare of all children who might be afflicted due to their selfish, irresponsible willingness to let long controlled illnesses resurface.

these parents should receive a fairly harsh sentence to discourage like-minded nutbars who should have to apply for a child rearing license on a yearly basis to prove they've come into some form of responsible compliance.

No one can say they've suffered enough through the death of their child......no one. That possibility was always there and they CHOSE to completely disregard that possibility and to place their child in jeopardy over a stupid belief with no foundational science behind it.

Crap shooting with your kids lives should bring the stiffest of punitive measures.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:53 AM

Oh ... I have seen much worse situations. I am not a big fan of alternative medicine, but sometimes Western Medical systems just don't work either. It is the same issue with people that refuse to get vaccines. If their child gets sick should they be charged? I do not rush my child or myself to the doctor every time she sneezes as I know that the doctor is not really going to know that quickly what is wrong with her and likely going to randomly prescribe something that might actually do more harm the good. Most people try basis care at home and if the symptoms get worse or do not resolve in 24-48 hours move on to seeking professional health care advise. I am also not a fan of hypochondriacs. There are too many people out there they buy in to unproven treatments without understanding when to recognize a serious medical crisis. It will be interesting to see what happens. I think the point being expressed that they were told to take the child to a doctor and did not do it in time is a key factor.

Should parents with children with expressed signs of mental illness also be held accountable for their children's actions if the are advised by teachers that their child shows signs of mental illness and the family refuses to take them to seek an assessment for mental health issues or refuse to placement on medication to manage behaviours related to the mental health issues? Where do we draw lines with this.

Should adults responsible for parents suffering from dementia be held responsible when they refuse to place their family member on medication to manage behaviours related to dementia if their family member harms someone else?

The reality is even if this child was seen by a doctor sooner there is no 100% gauranttee he would have survived. People do still die even after receiving medication attention.

Last edited by klmrocks; 03-18-2016 at 11:03 AM..

Old 03-18-2016, 12:07 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,295,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post

The reality is even if this child was seen by a doctor sooner there is no 100% gauranttee he would have survived. People do still die even after receiving medication attention.
True, but this case is not that.

They actively ignored multiple suggestions/directives to seek further medical care, including from the alternative healthcare providers.

This isn't disagreeing with treatment, it's willful neglect.

A better analogy would be this is equivalent to leaving the child locked in a car on a hot day while letting them play with a loaded handgun.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:16 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
I agree with Mike and Brusan. It's clearly a case of willful neglect. There is no excuse for this kind of thing happening in Canada.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:32 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,529,527 times
They watched their son get sicker and sicker over weeks, had a nurse friend tell them it sounded like meningitis and they should see a doctor and they ignored that, and later they had to load him up onto a mattress on the back of their truck because his body by that point was too stiff for him to get into a car seat. They drove him to a naturopath who gave them the echinacea they wanted but also said get to a medical doctor, which they again ignored. They only took him to the hospital when he could no longer breath on his own. A horrific, slow death by an infection that was highly treatable with antibiotics. No, I'm sorry, throw the book at these people, it was neglect and they need to be made an example of.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:33 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Hi,

What do you think about this situation? These parents are being charged in their young son's death because they did not seek proper medical attention in time. They tried home remedies and a nathropath before going to a hospital. Once they got to the hospital it was too late.

I have very mixed feelings about this.

Naturopath recommended hospital for sick boy

© Facebook David and Collet Stephan, pictured with their children and a photograph of Ezekiel, who died from meningitis.
Even though parents have the right to make decisions for their children, the right ends where the child is put into danger.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:01 PM

Default Agree ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
True, but this case is not that.

They actively ignored multiple suggestions/directives to seek further medical care, including from the alternative healthcare providers.

This isn't disagreeing with treatment, it's willful neglect.

A better analogy would be this is equivalent to leaving the child locked in a car on a hot day while letting them play with a loaded handgun.
If even the naturopath suggested and going to a hospital that does not look good on their case. I deal with people that have very strong views on these issues a lot and it is scary when people ignore advise given, but it happens far too often.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:04 PM

Default But these types of situation happen....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I agree with Mike and Brusan. It's clearly a case of willful neglect. There is no excuse for this kind of thing happening in Canada.

I work in health care and this kind of stuff happens all the time, but time the child died. I really hope this situation at least draws attention to this issue on a broader scale. The ethics of respecting someone's rights to choose their care options for a dependent needs to be discussed so people like this family might have a better understanding of the consequences if something goes wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada