Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2016, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 850 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'll soon be on the list of professions eligible for a work permit based on NAFTA. I've read on the CIC website, among other places, that you can just turn up at the border with your job offer and documents to hand and get the work permit issued then and there- has anyone done it? The thought of picking up and moving without something already in my hand kind of freaks me out.
Alternatively, I know you can apply online- CIC says processing time is currently running at about 3 months, are they accurate with that? Anyone have experience of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 05:38 PM

577 posts, read 1,475,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisco24 View Post
you can just turn up at the border with your job offer and documents to hand and get the work permit issued
Yes, that's true. I did that myself. But the key words here are "your job offer and documents". It's not a normal job offer, but it MUST be a NAFTA-compatible official employment letter: original document (no photocopies, HR director's hand-written signature in INK), company's letterhead, NAFTA-specific wording detailing your position, responsibilities, EXACT office location, salary, specific mentioning that your particular position is falling under the NAFTA-described professional categories, mentioning that you have all the education requirements, EXPLICIT wording stating the LIMITED time period for which the employment will take place (TN/TN1 visa have a profound temporary nature and a TN applicant along with his/her TD dependends accompanying him/her if any, have to show hints that they have something to return to in Canada - US Customs & Border Patrol / USCIS officers may ask - at their discretion - for proofs of property tax bills, spouse still present in Canada, other form of property such as bank/savings accounts etc).

Along with that SPECIALLY-worded employment letter, you have to have all the other documents as required - if foreign tertiary / university degrees, the original diplomas have to be accompanied by an official certification from a company who is specialized in analyzing the equivalency to the domestic degrees. You also need to have any university transcripts of grades etc.

If accepted, you can get a TN visa for a period up to 3 years. Each renewal will go through the same steps - no sympathy / no bias towards former applications.

You can word the employment letter yourself and ask the employer to send it to you with all the official stuff as mentioned above. If the employer is a serious company and had dealt in the past with many TN applicants, they usually chose the services of a small immigration law service (that's how it was in my case).

You also have to show that your intent is to move/relocate immediately upon TN issuance and entry to US. DO NOT SAY that you intend to leave and return to US a second time with goods etc. Show to them that you have all the goods of immediate necessity available and you're able to get into US and start working. You may bring other stuff later on, and no need to tell them about.

IMPORTANT NOTE: TN does not show immigration intent, it's very temporary in nature (part of a mutual agreement between US, Canada and Mexico for professional workers) and one cannot apply in that STATUS for permanent residence / green card. I say status because TN is not actually a VISA, but a status (a stamp applied to your passport, on the spot, at the point of entry - airport or ground border crossing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisco24 View Post
The thought of picking up and moving without something already in my hand kind of freaks me out.
Alternatively, I know you can apply online- CIC says processing time is currently running at about 3 months, are they accurate with that? Anyone have experience of this?
Do not worry. If you do your homework and have all the proper documents in place, along with $50 US funds available with you (Canadian credit card, US credit card, or US cash works the best), then you have nothing to worry about. Always answer ONLY when asked, and only to the question asked.

If entering by air, provision for 2-2.5 hours IN ADDITION to normal buffer time for airports.

Good air entry points: Toronto Pearson, Chicago via Kitchener-Waterloo smallish but very functional airport. KW does not have US pre-clearance (being small anyway) so that will be done when you connect through Chicago. Or you may have other US or Canadian point of entry. I had a very positive and warm experience with Chicago - when leaving US for a Canadian vacation, upon return the USCIS officer was kind (but thorough, he had to check lots of things) and has actually extended my expiry date by approx. 1 year more, so basically I had about 4 years remaining (note that this counts only if your US employer is also able to extend the employment offer - which I don't know if it's possible 'cause I haven't arrived to that situation YET).

It's not worth doing it online. Best is to do it on the spot. If for some reasons you get denied, politely ask the USCIS officer to withdraw the TN application completely, so that no trace of it remains in the system, so that you can re-apply afterwards if you can make everything back in order.

If accepted, do NOT leave the USCIS office without closely examining your TN stamp on the passport - verify that it show the correct company name, and either a precise expiry date (valid until....) or a period.

Upon arrival to US, give it about 2 to 3 days and visit i-94.gov web site, enter your personal details and TRIPLE CHECK that it show the correct admission class (i.e. TN, TD for dependents), correct expiry date and travel history. If that's not correct, you will have to visit a USCIS office in your city in US (usually they are located in big airports) and FIX the error ASAP. The I-94 form, along with your passport, are the most essential documents - I94 allows you to get a US driver's license for example. Not that important for kids' admission to the public US school education system (which is free for TN and TD).

Your dependents may not necessarily cross the border with you - they can come join you later on. Your initial fee of $50 USD will cover everything - all they need to do is to show up, with a copy of your TN stamp page of your passport, a marriage certificate and kids' birth certificates. That's it that's all.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by smihaila; 04-15-2016 at 05:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada