Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 09:23 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
"Circular" is a good way to describe it.

Every so often Mouldy will come on with an interesting tid-bit but the rest seem addicted to that circle-jerk thingy.
Kind of like Jerry Springer.. The first few episodes of who is the real father using DNA testing or honey I have a secret, even though I love you I occasionally sleep around with a man were interesting, but after awhile it was just like c'mon..... Ok fine, I should never have even watched Springer in the first place I know lol.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Unsure of what the American op is trying to convey in this topic, Do Canadians Hate Americans?with 35 million Canadians a logical assumption would dictate some do most dont, op have you ever visited Canada if so did you experience hate?
Are you going to base your viewpoint of Canada and Canadians on a 4 minute video?

To give the expected response= Yes all Canadians hate all Americans

Old 08-29-2016, 09:44 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,658,174 times
Do Canadians hate Americans? no not really, BUT there are some things that annoy us and myself among others. For instance when i first moved to the States i was always asked 1. "Do you speak Canadian" 2. "How is living in an igloo" 3. "Is everyone white"? and it was not only kids, but adults too. And the occasional "do you have real cities" or since we have free healthcare we're "communist", or being called "sissies" cause we're respectful and have manners, and many people have an anti-war mentality. Now it's not all Americans, but many of them are ignorant or have this attitude that they're the best, when in reality no-one is the best, period.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:12 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
they look down on Canada as an unimportant backwater
I never heard that before.

Americans are much more likely to think of a state like Mississippi as being an unimportant backwater than a country like Canada.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:51 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I never heard that before.

Americans are much more likely to think of a state like Mississippi as being an unimportant backwater than a country like Canada.
I've never heard any Americans call Canada backwards. I have however, heard some Canadians say that about the U.S.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:33 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,109 times
I get the feeling that USA-icans consider Canada "USA on training wheels", and Quebec like "France on training wheels".

Old 08-29-2016, 07:59 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,376 times
Most Americans are very friendly. Of course I don't hate them. I do hate how the country operates though. I don't judge people from what country they're from.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:41 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,819,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I have no problem either way. And that's not because of Apathy but perspective, still the evidence is there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfq5BvHC6wo

ps. I meant dis-like
The Canadian nationalists certainly hate the U.S. There's a certain inferiority complex that comes from being wholly dependent on another country for your economic prosperity. 80% of Canada's tourism industry is pleasing Americans, 80% of Canada's exports go to the U.S., Canada's manufacturing sector (including their automobile industry) depends on bringing in American companies. If you strip out the American contribution to Canada's economy, all you have left is Chinese real estate. Canada is a country that is wholly subservient politically, culturally and economically to one of its neighbors. And that makes a lot of nationalists angry because for decades they've been fed with the notion that their country is perfect and kind and better than the racist, violent Americans. Yet without the U.S. Canada would not enjoy anywhere close to the benefits it enjoys today.

It's not just Canada-U.S. Whenever you have such a stark power imbalance, it breeds resentment. Look at Australia and China, or the UK and the EU. Prideful people hate to admit that their country is not the vanguard of benevolence and perfection. And many Canadian nationalists believe themselves to be perfect in every way. And it's hard to square that away while living in a country that's lost 100,000+ full-time jobs in the past two months. It's a disconnect. So when you can't build yourself up, you try to push others down.

And that's why so many Canadians hate the U.S. If Canada can't be #1 without the U.S., some Canadians will focus on what makes the U.S. horrible: crime, traffic, obesity, etc. And they cling to that because it makes them feel good inside. And it confirms that they are, indeed, the best. It's why everyone in this thread gets so virulently angry and downright nasty when you make even one slight criticism of the greatest city in the Milky Way: Toronto. It's hard to pretend to be perfect. Because it means you can't ever let your guard down.

Being defensive all the time also then breeds anger and fear. Which is why so many Canadians go to the U.S. forum and vent how the mean Americans are so biased by not making Toronto #1 in everything. It's very sad, frankly. I hope one day Canadian nationalists can build themselves up without pushing others down. Canada is a fine place but the arrogance from some Canadian nationalists reminds me of high school where those who were the most prolific bullies were the most insecure people in the school. Then again, Canada is a young nation. So it makes sense that it would still be in that somewhat immature phase of pretending to be the best. I think in time Canada will mature and the nationalists will lose the will to keep up the visage of 'Perfect Canada.' Most Americans already know Canada has problems (certainly the economic is on the brink of recession), so I don't see why some Canadians prefer to keep up the facade. It comes off as desperate and inauthentic.

Of course, everything above excludes Quebec. I think the Quebecois have certainly matured. That's probably because Quebec has a much longer history and has a solid grasp of its own identity and contribution to the world.

The irony of course is that Americans have a much better view of Canada than Canadians have of the U.S. I blame the CBC and decades of propaganda from politicians telling everyone that they must 'create a Canadian identity' that is unique and better than the U.S.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:49 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
The Canadian nationalists certainly hate the U.S. There's a certain inferiority complex that comes from being wholly dependent on another country for your economic prosperity. 80% of Canada's tourism industry is pleasing Americans, 80% of Canada's exports go to the U.S., Canada's manufacturing sector (including their automobile industry) depends on bringing in American companies. If you strip out the American contribution to Canada's economy, all you have left is Chinese real estate. Canada is a country that is wholly subservient politically, culturally and economically to one of its neighbors. And that makes a lot of nationalists angry because for decades they've been fed with the notion that their country is perfect and kind and better than the racist, violent Americans. Yet without the U.S. Canada would not enjoy anywhere close to the benefits it enjoys today.

It's not just Canada-U.S. Whenever you have such a stark power imbalance, it breeds resentment. Look at Australia and China, or the UK and the EU. Prideful people hate to admit that their country is not the vanguard of benevolence and perfection. And many Canadian nationalists believe themselves to be perfect in every way. And it's hard to square that away while living in a country that's lost 100,000+ full-time jobs in the past two months. It's a disconnect. So when you can't build yourself up, you try to push others down.

And that's why so many Canadians hate the U.S. If Canada can't be #1 without the U.S., some Canadians will focus on what makes the U.S. horrible: crime, traffic, obesity, etc. And they cling to that because it makes them feel good inside. And it confirms that they are, indeed, the best. It's why everyone in this thread gets so virulently angry and downright nasty when you make even one slight criticism of the greatest city in the Milky Way: Toronto. It's hard to pretend to be perfect. Because it means you can't ever let your guard down.

Being defensive all the time also then breeds anger and fear. Which is why so many Canadians go to the U.S. forum and vent how the mean Americans are so biased by not making Toronto #1 in everything. It's very sad, frankly. I hope one day Canadian nationalists can build themselves up without pushing others down. Canada is a fine place but the arrogance from some Canadian nationalists reminds me of high school where those who were the most prolific bullies were the most insecure people in the school. Then again, Canada is a young nation. So it makes sense that it would still be in that somewhat immature phase of pretending to be the best. I think in time Canada will mature and the nationalists will lose the will to keep up the visage of 'Perfect Canada.' Most Americans already know Canada has problems (certainly the economic is on the brink of recession), so I don't see why some Canadians prefer to keep up the facade. It comes off as desperate and inauthentic.

Of course, everything above excludes Quebec. I think the Quebecois have certainly matured. That's probably because Quebec has a much longer history and has a solid grasp of its own identity and contribution to the world.

The irony of course is that Americans have a much better view of Canada than Canadians have of the U.S. I blame the CBC and decades of propaganda from politicians telling everyone that they must 'create a Canadian identity' that is unique and better than the U.S.
I'm confused.. You keep slamming Toronto here as being the epicentre of this so called nationalist/Fundamentalist yet concomitantly and at the root of it, insecure hate on for Americana (because of a so called desire to be like big brother and the power Imbalance and inferiority complex that goes with being the uglier, smaller and less successfully little duckling), yet you constantly use or quote that video of Montrealers??.. Man at least get your sample from the core of this conspiracy and get the real scoop to prove your hypothesis from the centre of the universe, the pinnacle of perfection to maintain the integrity of your premise.

As for everything else that you've said - who is pushing who down here lol? You Canadians would be nothing without us... You Canadians rely on us for everything, you Canadians are venting jobs left, right and centre, you Canadians are angry, jealous, insecure, defensive because you aren't us, you Canadians are immature and lack an identity etc etc... Hmmm seems like you are exhibiting the very same behaviour you are accusing the nationalist Torontonian/Canadians of displaying.. Perhaps the examination should be focussed more inwardly at the centre of your own universe!?

If you do come to Toronto to get at the heart of this nationalist/fundamentalist we hate you because we really want to be you conspiracy - be careful, over half the city wasn't born here and may genuinely be confused by your line of questioning and accusations. Just some advise for you so that you are sensitive to that fact.. Not that I would want to at all change your dogma here - it really is quite entertaining reading how you think you have everyone and everything in our cities and in our country figured out.. Its like watching a child so giddy when they found where the cookie jar was hidden - aha exposed....

Last edited by fusion2; 08-29-2016 at 10:13 PM..

Old 08-29-2016, 10:06 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

Yeah, I hate the U.S. I don't hate Americans though. There is a huge difference. Majority of the word hates the U.S., not just "Canadian nationalists" as you claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada