Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2016, 04:13 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Call them on it. That's what I do when people moan about something they can change.
Or perform a better job of assessing whether it's the U.S. and it's entire citizenry people are busting on, or just responding in kind to the ones who engage in that well known bellicose 'numero-uno' bravado. Even idiots should be able to quantify.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:47 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,817,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
If anything, on here it has been some Torontonians that show animosity towards others. We have seen them call other place "**** holes" or write in a disdainful manner " I have no idea why anyone would want to live (or visit) there?!" There are plenty of examples of this through out the forum. Its been several posters on here from Toronto that constantly do this.
I agree 100%. It's a shame. People in Washington DC do the same thing to those in Baltimore. It's a very petty 'holier-than-thou' attitude that often just makes them look much, much worse. And I say that as someone living in Washington DC.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:25 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
If anything, on here it has been some Torontonians that show animosity towards others. We have seen them call other place "**** holes" or write in a disdainful manner " I have no idea why anyone would want to live (or visit) there?!" There are plenty of examples of this through out the forum. Its been several posters on here from Toronto that constantly do this.
Yeah, in these types of discussions, comments about Canada (except for their home region) being totally unworthy of interest do unfortunately come most often from Toronto and the GTA.

If I may be perfectly frank, people in Montreal and Quebec probably think this just as much if not more, but there are way fewer of them taking part in these discussions. Or they say it in French and no one pays attention.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:28 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,429,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
I agree 100%. It's a shame. People in Washington DC do the same thing to those in Baltimore. It's a very petty 'holier-than-thou' attitude that often just makes them look much, much worse. And I say that as someone living in Washington DC.
that is because DC is significantly better than anything Baltimore has to offer, in fact it is the best city in the US

Old 09-06-2016, 02:44 AM

690 posts, read 1,007,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
that is because DC is significantly better than anything Baltimore has to offer, in fact it is the best city in the US
Slightly overdoing it

Old 09-06-2016, 09:03 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I enjoy Washington DC. It has a lot to see and do.

But New York City is America's final word.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:49 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Toronto. Sigh. Our love hate relationship

It's like anywhere. People complain about the largest city in any country. People in France talk about Parisians in less than flattering terms for example.

I've found friends that are born in Toronto, but have moved here to Vancouver, seem to complain about Toronto more. It's too busy, not a good work life balance etc.

Then some move back after a while

Most Canadians have friends or family that live int the GTA, or have lived there. A lot have visited. In my circle of friends, inner and outer circle, I know of no-one who hasn't at least visited Toronto and they love to visit.

So when others complain about Toronto, at least from a Vancovuerites perspective, it's usually about the winters or the " centre of the universe " supposed complex they have, which I've never encountered in person.

I have great memories of trips to Toronto. I'm going back next year hopefully.
I think the contention that there isn't enough of a work/life balance in Toronto is largely an exaggerated farce perpetuated by people who need to convince themselves of that. People who moved from Toronto to Vancouver need to convince themselves that they made the right choice so they will flatter their new friends with this sort of nonsense lol.. Or they themselves were workaholics and simply didn't want to change their vocation to a job with better work life balance (which they can find in Toronto). I buy the whole I want to live by the Ocean, live by the mountains, live in a smaller city that is slower paced than the there is no work/life balance to be found in Toronto BS.

I work Monday to Friday 37.5 hours a week. This is full time hours at my company. If you work full time hours in any part of the country you normally work those hours or 40. I envy people who can work part time and have a decent lifestyle -they must be living off a nice inheritance, own a business and reached a point where someone else is doing all the work, engaging in illegal activities or getting some form of government assistance and double dipping - they are in the minority even in Toronto as I suspect in most cities in the country. Most people need a full time job even in 'relaxed' places to make ends meet (Retirees/6/49 winners excluded).

People put extra time at work anywhere depending on where they work and how ambitious they are. If you are ambitious and want to move up the ladder and make an 'impression' anywhere you're probably not a clockwatcher. I've established my work/life balance and rarely work more than my 37.5 hours per week and its not expected of me to do more. Couple that with company tenure and I have European equivalent vacation time. I've established my work/life balance in Toronto. Wasn't hard!

I have a friend in Montreal who is a Director and he works WAY more hours than I do. He has a company phone and and makes awesome coin but he works for it and sacrifices a lot personally but its his decision. So like anyplace it really depends on the person and what they choose and less about the city imo.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-07-2016 at 07:11 PM..

Old 09-07-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Its not so much posters in this forum as much as a perceived general sentiment from other parts of the country. If its not true that is great. If it is what exactly can be done about it from a Torontonian pov - probably not much because normally this type of sentiment is rooted in ignorance and vice-versa. As for posters in here - you really don't know where they are from. I certainly don't put down other parts of the country though I won't apologize for Toronto either - there is nothing to apologize for. Most Torontonians don't have a centre of the universe mentality. Its really that simple.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-07-2016 at 07:14 PM..

Old 09-07-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I agree with you on your underlined part as well. Most Americans aren't too happy with what their government is doing as well so I can't fault someone for that. I can understand though why residents of an area get annoyed when outsiders claim to know so much about somewhere and it does get very old to see people who claim how horrible everywhere in the US is. It is an annoying occurrence which happens in the Pittsburgh thread. Many left wing Americans have such high regard for Canada IMO because they likely see it as what America could be without its conservative and religious element which is common in some areas.

There are plenty of ignorant stereotypes about Pittsburgh that still exist as well and are seen on the City vs. City thread when the area gets mentioned so I see where you are coming from there. A lot of people in smaller metros just like to hate bigger cities because of how "pretentious and obnoxious" their residents are and it seems like many from bigger cities like to hate on small cities and rural areas for being "backwards and simple". It does even out in some way to me.
Just remember that not only do Canadians get their info about American/Americans from the media but also by family/friend connections so i'll stick by what I said. Most of the strongest critics of America/Americans are Americans. I bite my tongue though and will just be polite and underline the fact that 'you said it' when they go on their anti American tirades

Old 09-07-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Actually, if any city in Canada is friendly to Americans it would be Toronto. Many US expats live and work here, they even congregate in certain neighbourhoods in mid-town. Many of them come here and are surprised at the sheer number of people from all over the world who make a living and raise their families here, and everybody just deals with it. There is very little room for hatred and bigotry for any group.
I definitely have noticed an uptick in the number of Americans living here. That said, I think Calgary must have the highest penetration in Canada. About 100K American expats in the greater Calgary area. For the GTA we'd have to have 700K American Expats living here to equal that level of penetration.

American expats in Calgary vote early - Calgary - CBC News

Quote:
A Statistics Canada census from 2006 shows that just over 22,000 Americans were living in Calgary at that time. However, the U.S. Consulate estimates the number of Americans currently living in the greater Calgary area is around 100,000, which was intially reported in an earlier version of this story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada