Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 04:56 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times

Advertisements

"On Friday, Mayor Naheed Nenshi ... called Uber "dicks" and said the company's poor attitude stemmed from its CEO.

What did concern Woolley was the mayor's suggestion the city used convicted criminals, including sex offenders, to test Uber's screening process.

"I had not heard that, so I think maybe we have a council meeting on Monday there will be the opportunity for the mayor to answer those questions for himself," he said.

Scroll down for full video of Calgary Mayor saying all the wrong things.

Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi captured on video describing Uber CEO as a ‘dick’ | National Post

""They are honestly the worst people in the world. I have never dealt with people like this before," Nenshi said of Uber officials. ... "I was at a conference and I met Travis, the CEO, and I was like, 'Oh, it's because you are a dick and this has percolated through the entire organization,'" he continued.

"We sent people to sign up to be Uber drivers to see if they could get through the background check," he said.

"How we found registered sex offenders and people with convictions for violent crimes? I don't want to know why we know those people … but they all made it through the theoretical background screening. And so we were like, you know what Uber? We are going to do the background screening, the cops are going to do the background screening."

It's disappointing to see Mayor Nenshi stoop to name calling and questionable tactics," spokesperson Jean-Christophe de Le Rue said."

Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi captured on video describing Uber CEO as a ‘dick’ | National Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 05:28 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
I read that... lots of craziness between the taxi interests and the uber interests. IMO the dynamics depend a lot upon the conditions in specific markets. It isn't the same situation worldwide, or even within Canada. Uber might work in some locations, but not so much in others, in practice. Maybe taxi companies need to take a good hard look at their business models, and figure out if they can be more creative/flexible. Maybe uber will find itself in the crosshairs of more innovative competitors. Well, we do live in strange times, and lots of stuff can happen...

Old 04-23-2016, 05:37 PM

Nenshi needs to explain what he's talking about when he mentions that criminals were asked to apply to be Uber drivers. Were criminals paid to do this? If they were approved, would they be driving for Uber? Did the city make false applications using the names of convicted criminals to apply to be Uber drivers? What exactly happened?

Taxi rates dropped by 15-20% in response to law for Uber.

"Calgary's newly-updated livery bylaw has set maximum fares, but no minimum. So, what once was a regulated bill, is now at $3.80 for the first 120 metres and $0.20 for the subsequent 120 metres as a max.
"This has been done in other places and people loved it there, too," Jenkins said. "It's fantastic for people that take cabs."

Before, fares were mandated by the city and had to be uniform. In September 2014 the rates went up 8.1 per cent, up from the $3.50 initial rate."

Your Calgary cab fare just got cheaper | Metro News

Old 04-25-2016, 01:24 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
I am no fan of Nenshi, but to take comments made during a conversation that he did not know was being recorded, and certainly did not know was going to be published, it's tough to blame the guy for anything.

People are allowed to have opinions and be human. He's been raked over the coals both ways over the Uber stuff, and while I don't agree with the city's stance, Nenshi is allowed his own opinion, and the conversation strikes me as his opinion as a person, not the official comments of the Mayor.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:45 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I am no fan of Nenshi, but to take comments made during a conversation that he did not know was being recorded, and certainly did not know was going to be published, it's tough to blame the guy for anything.

People are allowed to have opinions and be human. He's been raked over the coals both ways over the Uber stuff, and while I don't agree with the city's stance, Nenshi is allowed his own opinion, and the conversation strikes me as his opinion as a person, not the official comments of the Mayor.
They're still a longgg way from the Ford tapes.

Ford desensitized Canadians to an awful lot. That's a tough act to follow.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:39 AM

909 posts, read 1,153,846 times
Nenshi is a cool mayor. I agree with him.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Nenshi is a cool mayor. I agree with him.
I think he's creepy. There is no way that convicted criminals were hired to test driver application screening with Uber, yet big mouth Nenshi lies and lies and lies that this is how it is done.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post

He was a speaker at a conference and, if that cost was covered by taxpayers, he was acting in his role as mayor - where he has a responsibility to be truthful, and professional. Resorting to name calling to explain that he doesn't like someone is pathetic.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:19 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
He was a speaker at a conference and, if that cost was covered by taxpayers, he was acting in his role as mayor - where he has a responsibility to be truthful, and professional. Resorting to name calling to explain that he doesn't like someone is pathetic.
He's a public figure and Mayor of a prominent city in Canada. He should have handled himself more appropriately. In this day and age you are never in a private situation anymore - especially public figures. That said, he apologized. Time to move on I think.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
He's a public figure and Mayor of a prominent city in Canada. He should have handled himself more appropriately. In this day and age you are never in a private situation anymore - especially public figures. That said, he apologized. Time to move on I think.
Nenshi has not apologized for lying about using criminals to test Uber's driver screening program. He also lies when he claims that he did not know about the camera, as the other passenger asked about the camera well before Nenshi made the same comments about the same camera at the end of his trip.

This is not the first time that Nenshi has been ridiculous in public, and an apology for making inappropriate remarks each time he does it is no longer acceptable. He seems to believe that he can say whatever he wants, apologize, and then continue to say whatever he wants. He apparently did not learn that an apology comes after some reflection about what he did, and what to do differently in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada