Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2016, 12:02 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Canadians have no inferiority complex. Canada is full of proud Canadians who are currently debating when to start building the wall.

Has it occurred to you that many Canadians might choose a country other than the US as an alternative, or does this seem like a binary issue?
There is no serious debate amongst anyone I know about building a wall.. Its the same about all this talk about massive numbers of Americans moving to Canada if the 'other' party gets in. It doesn't pan out in any meaningful way other than a lot of yimmering and yammering. kind of like in these threads lol..

That said, in retirement years we won't be wasting our first world retirement savings pouring it into another first world country that will suck it up... There are a whole host of better options for retirees to live a good life than either Canada or the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 12:07 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
There is no serious debate amongst anyone I know about building a wall.. Its the same about all this talk about massive numbers of Americans moving to Canada if the 'other' party gets in. It doesn't pan out in any meaningful way other than a lot of yimmering and yammering. kind of like in these threads lol..

That said, in retirement years we won't be wasting our first world retirement savings pouring it into another first world country that will suck it up... There are a whole host of better options for retirees to live a good life than either Canada or the U.S.
A cheap country is a good idea for retirement until there are health issues.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:11 AM

Quote:
A cheap country is a good idea for retirement until there are health issues.
Fair enough, how much of the year do you have to live in Canada to maintain H.C benefits - 6 months? If that is the case than splitting the year between Canada and a Cheap country is a decent compromise. Don't always assume H.C sucks in some of these nations. May not be great for the average native bloke, but even someone with a modest retirement income could possibly afford good H.C. in some of them. It certainly warrants investigation. You'd be surprised at some of the nations that, according to the WHO not only rank as highly or almost as highly as Canada and the U.S, but some even better!

Old 05-22-2016, 12:16 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
Quote:
Fair enough, how much of the year do you have to live in Canada to maintain H.C benefits - 6 months? If that is the case than splitting the year between Canada and a Cheap country is a decent compromise. Don't always assume H.C sucks in some of these nations. May not be great for the average native bloke, but even someone with a modest retirement income could possibly afford good H.C. in some of them. It certainly warrants investigation.
I'm thinking about a serious health issue that might be more likely to occur after retirement. For example, cancer treatments could be very expensive in a cheap country. Alzheimers might also be best managed for a Canadian in Canada.

Most Canadians, including Canadians with dual citizenship who live in another country, prefer Canada when serious health issues arise.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking about a serious health issue that might be more likely to occur after retirement. For example, cancer treatments could be very expensive in a cheap country. Alzheimers might also be best managed for a Canadian in Canada.
For sure I get that! That is why i'm saying I think that each country would need to be investigated to determine if the milieu of treatment options would be as effective as we have here. I'd also consider dividing my time. If I do that though, why would I spend half in another expensive country, even if it has warmer geographic locations than Canada. It just doesn't appeal to me nearly as much as a host of other places would.

Quote:
Most Canadians, including Canadians with dual citizenship who live in another country, prefer Canada when serious health issues arise.
Well I don't know... I think we'd need to compare this on a country by country basis. Source?

Old 05-22-2016, 12:47 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times
Quote:
I find this a weak argument to support an inferiority complex. I see this as simply a smaller and overall pretty similar nation making a distinction which is in fact correct. There are differences.. A lot of similarities but also differences. The U.S isn't as a much larger nation in the anglo N.A sphere, having to differentiate itself because it is considered 'America'

I also find it curious that in that State Department Cable, they put so much weight on one Professor's view. I'm pretty certain there would be many other so called experts, having a different take on things.

Similar to the above. Smaller but similar nation that borders the largest economy on earth. There is another country that is not very similar that borders the U.S and there's a whole heckuva lot more of them wanting to go to the U.S than Canadians. In all honesty, I really don't know that many Canadians who would leave Canada for the U.S. That isn't due to a feeling of superiority, just a feeling of being content where they live. That said, it shouldn't really be surprising that more Canadians would move to the U.S than vice versa. Logically, if Canada were 9X as populous as the U.S, it would be the same situation but in reverse.

I'm not disputing the "mechanics" or the motivations nor I'm saying that half of Canada wants to move south, however in my personal experience, my circle of acquaintances, many would move, especially immigrants.

I actually agree with Lieneke about retiring to a developing country...many risks not only related to health care...to me southern Europe is much more inviting than the US for retirement but senior Canadians may not want to be that far from their families.

Old 05-22-2016, 01:21 AM

977 posts, read 1,011,120 times
Not trying to start an anti immigration topic on this post but today's immigrants don't seem to do much. I mean I don't see very many new companies being started by them relative to population. Look at all the Mexicans and Asians in America that are around the 20 year old range, most colleges here are about 50% non white and I'm not seeing them creating many new companies, they are just taking normal jobs anyone could do. Or maybe I am thinking this wrong, you think adding 30 million people will just make Canda more powerful because they could have a bigger military, and get more in government revenue, not necessarily new multi national companies?

Old 05-22-2016, 01:24 AM

977 posts, read 1,011,120 times
But I will say it would be COOL if Canda had more cities!!! I'm honestly not a huge fan of immigrants tho, at least the ones the USA gets so I don't think my wish will ever happen... I love Canda! But make more of Canada nature preserves and build a RAPID rail system to connect all your cities!

Old 05-22-2016, 02:43 AM

525 posts, read 453,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
But I will say it would be COOL if Canda had more cities!!! I'm honestly not a huge fan of immigrants tho, at least the ones the USA gets so I don't think my wish will ever happen... I love Canda! But make more of Canada nature preserves and build a RAPID rail system to connect all your cities!
My family and I immigrated to the US many years ago. My parents are hard-working, compassionate doctors in a rural area (where doctors are needed most), and I hope to follow in their footsteps. Please understand that, especially in an aging population, immigrants can be very beneficial. The US will take in immigrants only if they have the skills and experience the country needs (or for family reunification).

Old 05-22-2016, 03:03 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,817,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Geez louise if you want to be taken serious please refrain from using crap from Salon.com. Is that your default "to go to" site or what?

Canada named world's most well-respected country by holidaymakers | Daily Mail Online

You keep harping on about how Canadians dislike the U.S. so much and how sites like Salon.com post little youtube snippets to support that meme while at the same time extolling the virtue of your one true ally the U.K. when it would seem by a more respected polling agency that Canadians hold the U.S. in higher regard than the U.K does. In point of fact it would seem Canada has a higher opinion of the U.S. than quite a few other countries, Germany's opinion of you for instance, is tanking. We even like you more than Australia does. No surprise I guess, but even your other neighbour and greatest source of immigration, Mexico, has a lower opinion of you; go figure?

This one's for tongue in cheek value:
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/comm...orld-gwyn.html

This one's the real deal:
1. America

Now would something closer to the truth be that YOU dislike Canada and while this thread started off with a stupid question posed by a non-Canadian, it was the derisive answers from Americans that triggered all this nonsense. You're a super power, we get it, you've got 350 million paying almost 4% of your GDP to sustain a burgeoning military. You freak'n well should be a super-duper power. Now if only you could provide ALL your citizens with affordable healthcare.

Remind me again about how it's 'Canadians disliking America' that lends us an inferiority complex when the reverse would actually seem to be the case. You don't like Canada and we don't shive-a-git, now couldn't you find a nearby hydrant to pizz on.......please?
It seems I hit a nerve. If you don't shive-a-git, why spend so much time ranting?

And I thought Canadians were humble and kind and peaceful? It seems Canadians are only like that up until the point you disagree with them. Then we see their true colors, as you have just shown us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada