U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 05:53 PM

521 posts, read 1,366,979 times

Advertisements

saturno_v, thank you for your intervention - you have understood the underlying context of what I was trying to say.
There is a reason why the United States fought to be completely free of the colonialism, and to have ... a real president. Not a Prime Minister, like aca-nada.

And botticelli, thanks for calling me a troll, wow...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 06:00 PM

13,340 posts, read 13,552,853 times
The Queen plays about as much of a role in the day to day or political life of Canada as the Dalai Lama. Sure she is on our currency but so is Robert Borden - when is the last time anyone talked about him.

As for being a superpower - totally overrated! the vast majority of nations with the highest QOL are simply not superpowers or even great powers - they have relatively small populations with a strong resource/economic base relative to their manageable populations.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:08 PM

13,150 posts, read 11,680,484 times
I love my Queen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post

...... Not a Prime Minister, like aca-nada....
aca-nada? That was rude and uncalled for.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I love my Queen.
aca-nada? That was rude and uncalled for.
It would be interesting to have a read on Gustavus Myer's "History of Canadian wealth" book - you will then understand why I'm using such term...

Old 05-19-2016, 06:19 PM

3,698 posts, read 2,774,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

As for being a superpower - totally overrated! the vast majority of nations with the highest QOL are simply not superpowers or even great powers - they have relatively small populations with a strong resource/economic base relative to their manageable populations.

That is a broad generalization...Germany and France, for example, are great power, excellent QOL and no resource based economies....on the other side, Latin American countries and even Russia have a lot of natural resources and not a lot of population and still manage to have questionable QOL ratings....I would not trade The Netherlands for Argentina....

Old 05-19-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I love my Queen.

Thank God, the US had not many of people thinking that way at the time of independence

Old 05-19-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The Queen plays about as much of a role in the day to day or political life of Canada as the Dalai Lama. Sure she is on our currency but so is Robert Borden - when is the last time anyone talked about him.
Btw, it would be great if someone could clarify this once and for all: Can it be stated with 200% certainty that absolutely no money collected in the form of taxes (income taxes, property taxes), royalties and any other form of ongoing income is never leaving Canada (or all the other British Commonwealth countries) and filling UK monarchy's pockets - as some form of exchange for the independence?

Call me paranoid or naive, but I cannot fathom the idea that a monarchy simply decided to take its hands off their former countries and lands, with a simple stroke of a pen...without hoping for some future regular income/benefits from such operation.

WHO is really owning the Canadian lands? Canada or the United Kingdom?

Thank you.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:27 PM

13,340 posts, read 13,552,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
That is a broad generalization...Germany and France, for example, are great power, excellent QOL and no resource based economies....on the other side, Latin American countries and even Russia have a lot of natural resources and not a lot of population and still manage to have questionable QOL ratings.
I said resource/economic base I didn't say resource based economies on their own. I agree about Germany/France and also the UK but most of the consistent top performers are smaller nations with smaller populations ie Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Ireland, Denmark, Australia, Canada etc. This isn't to say I wouldn't like Canada to become more diversified in its economic milieu - it should and there is nothing wrong with drawing inspiration from say a Germany in that regard. That said, Its often not given enough credit for other aspects of its economy beyond resources and Canadians in general are all too eager to trump the natural resources only horn admittedly.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:30 PM

20,164 posts, read 23,216,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Thank God, the US had not many of people thinking that way at the time of independence
Paricularly since England had a king at the time.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
Btw, it would be great if someone could clarify this once and for all: Can it be stated with 200% certainty that absolutely no money collected in the form of taxes (income taxes, property taxes), royalties and any other form of ongoing income is never leaving Canada (or all the other British Commonwealth countries) and filling UK monarchy's pockets - as some form of exchange for the independence?

Call me paranoid or naive, but I cannot fathom the idea that a monarchy simply decided to take its hands off their former countries and lands, with a simple stroke of a pen...without hoping for some future regular income/benefits from such operation.

WHO is really owning the Canadian lands? Canada or the United Kingdom?

Thank you.

As far as I know, the only financial obligation that the 16 Commonwealth realms have is picking up the tab for the monarch during the official visits in their countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada