Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2016, 06:50 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Race is meaningless? Do you live under a rock? Our planet's entire history has been predicated on race. It established the racial hierarchies that defined colonialism for 500+ years. It created the class divides we still see. To deny that race still holds a place in one's identity is absolutely absurd.

Apparently the U.S. is less diverse than Ottawa because, lord forbid, we don't speak perfect English and broken French like you guys do.
Again, race is meaningless.
I say it's meaningless becaus it tells us absolutely nothing about a person. Do you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 06:53 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Nashville has gorgeous topography. That's why I settled in Washington, DC. A dark green tree canopy far as the eye can see AND a thriving city at my fingertips. And no nondescript condo towers ruining the view. Appalachia is a gem all-around.
Washington DC? I'm attending a conference there in a few weeks. What's cool to do there in mid-July?

Old 05-28-2016, 06:54 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
If you're talking cities proper, I agree with you. But, if I have to live in the suburbs and commute into the city because that's what I can afford, then dang it, I want some trees and pretty green space in those suburbs!

Outside of the city, which has many beautiful neighborhoods, Toronto is sprawl. The only difference is that land is probably more highly regulated in Canadian metros than in American. Hence, throughout suburban Toronto and other Canadian cities (places like Kitchener and my former hometown, Hamilton, included), you see one subdivision after another of big, cookie-cutter houses built so close to one another that there is little room for mature trees (they've all been ripped out before building), and you could reach out of the window of one house to touch the next. Even in super expensive Oakville, where my brother lives, it's beautiful down in areas around Lakeshore, but almost everywhere else is uninspiring. "Middle class" houses that cost $700,000+ on lots the size of postage stamps without a tree in sight. What is the point of that? No, thanks.

If I were going to live anywhere near Toronto again, it would HAVE to be somewhere right in the city to enjoy what it has to offer. I can't afford that, though, so I'll happily remain in beautiful, lush Metro Nashville.
Well it depends on what we consider burbs.. I wouldn't particularly enjoy living in Kitchener tbh either. I especially wouldn't enjoy long commutes in very bad traffic. Toronto simply isn't the place for people who want to live in a traditional home that is affordable anymore. The green areas surrounding the GTA can't be compromised - they are very arable so the only way to go is to densify if we are to accommodate growth in the metro. Some people will simply not want that type of life and I totally get that. Many do though and this is why Toronto is growing the way it is - for a multitude of reasons it is a desirable place for people to live. Condo's are now starting to get built targeting families and not just singles or couples. Schools are being built in DT Toronto etc. Toronto is no stranger to this - most cities in the world are more dense in nature than the typical N.A city. Toronto is simply becoming more and more like what most large International cities are.

For those who really want to live in a nice house surrounded by trees and big lots and who aren't rich - yeah the GTA is not the place and in Canada they have other options. Even in Southern Ontario they do.. I think Cambridge and Guelph are nicer than KW

That said, if you have found your slice of heaven in the world all the power to you! My partner and I are more than happy living in our apartment here in T.O during our working lives. No muss no fuss living. We get paid well and keep expenses in check + save for our retirement. Life is good!

Last edited by fusion2; 05-28-2016 at 07:04 PM..

Old 05-28-2016, 07:15 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
With all this talk about immigration to Canada, I think there need to be some new laws because of that immigration.

First, we now know that new immigrants, especially from India, are practicing sex selection and aborting female fetuses in Canada. Because these new immigrants do not respect the rights of female fetuses, there needs to be new law preventing sex identification in ultrasound to protect female fetuses, or there need to be stricter laws surrounding abortion to prevent abortion after ultrasound (where fetal gender is identified). Canada does not want a 4:1 male:female population and needs to take action today to manage this imported problem.

Additionally, too many cultures have too many children. Canadians view sustainability as an important value - meaning that two people might want to produce two more people, but there is no real justification for having 8 children unless there is an income to sustain those 8 children through the completion of post-secondary studies. Specifically, new immigrants should not view multiple children as some sort of guarantee that there will be a caretaker in old age.

Actually, the practice of aborting fetuses because they are female speaks to that difference in values that could pollute the Canadian value system if it is not stopped. No one in Canada wants to live amongst cultural groups who view females as inferior or unwanted, yet clearly Canada has opened her borders to many people who, instead of valuing Canada as she is, have imported (and currently practice) their unacceptable foreign values.

Last edited by Lieneke; 05-28-2016 at 07:36 PM..

Old 05-28-2016, 10:38 PM

625 posts, read 1,389,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Washington DC? I'm attending a conference there in a few weeks. What's cool to do there in mid-July?
DC is a great city despite being a huge government hub (my bias). It is a very historic and attractive city with great old neighbourhoods. It is airly multi-ethnic. I can't say I know it that well having only lived there for a summer.

It depends what you are into. There are great museums, most if which are free. Historic or neighbourhood tours perhaps. Good cycling trails (such as the B&O Canal from Georgetown). Good food, including seafood. I'm sure there are all varieties of good music, including some cutting edge contemporary acts. Mountains not far away. Of course July will likely be hot and muggy.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:20 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
No, I don't need a community of Scottish people around me. Not at all. I don't need a community of Canadians around me, either (but I have a few Canadian co-workers and other co-workers married to Canadians, which is very nice). I only mention my heritage as an example of how one's culture is a part of them no matter where they live. It's an individual, personal thing that can't be denied or controlled by anyone else. It's also something that is not the responsibility of anyone else, least of all the government, to uphold. Edward explained it well.
Sure its an individual thing. Never denied that. Given a choice though, i'm sure a lot of people of various cultural backgrounds, if they are away from the homeland would choose to live closer to their own. I don't see that as controversial to say. For some, only individual satisfaction of their heritage/culture will go so far. They want ongoing interaction of a critical mass if given the choice and all things being relatively equal from an economic perspective.

I don't get what context you are referring to whereby you say least of all the governments responsibility to uphold. What do you mean by that?

Last edited by fusion2; 05-29-2016 at 02:35 AM..

Old 05-29-2016, 10:55 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,817,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajputMaster24 View Post
Southern Canada ( in other words the Canadian provinces with temperate climate) has an area of 2.1 million square miles. I think Canada can easily house a population of 120 million people which is more than a third of the American population. That will make Canada a great power.
Canada can support 120,000,000 but those land numbers are way off. The northern halves of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec are hardly 'temperate.'

Anything lower than 3a on this map is not made for human habitation:

Canada's inhabitable zone is ~1,000,000 square miles. For the U.S. the number is about 3,000,000 square miles. So Canada could support about 1/3 of the U.S. population in theory. In reality, just because a place is inhabitable doesn't people will want to inhabit it.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Okie dokie then, if you say so. But so what? Who cares? We all know that USA has something like 10 times the population of Canada and it hasn't always been discretionary about who it opens its arms to. So it stands to reason it's going to have a lot more of this, that and the other kind of people than most other countries in the world, let alone more than Canada.

Again I ask, who cares? I really don't know what you're point is and apparently you don't want to have a reasonable discussion about why Canada doesn't want to be a superpower, you just want to bloviate and lecture and throw insults around like confetti at everyone about how terrible Canada is.

I did a review of ALL of your posts since you signed up last Autumn and frankly all I'm seeing is some kind of pompous, insulting, know-it-all cha cha prima donna with acidic verbal diarrhea who was looking for a place to squat to take a big continuous, coiling, stinking, overflowing dump and targeted Canada as its undersized kitty litter box to dump in and foul up its feet in its own mess.

If you're going to target Canada as your months long litter box the very least you could do is visit the place first, which you've posted you have NOT done, so that at least you might sound like you have some modicum of familiarity with what you think you know you're talking about.

What you're doing now is boring and tedious. Not only is it tedious, it's trolling and it sounds very, very much like the sock puppet rebirth of another troll that was banned from City Data a few months ago for taking big stinky dumps all over the board.

Somebody said Canada was the 'most multicultural country on Earth.' I pointed out that that's clearly false by comparing it to just one country (the U.S.). The claim is specious.

Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean they're trolling. My posts have far more facts and data than some boosters on here who claim Canada will become the greatest power in history.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Again, race is meaningless.
I say it's meaningless becaus it tells us absolutely nothing about a person. Do you agree?
No, I disagree. Are you saying that somebody's race has no bearing on their upbringing, on their culture or on their sense of belonging.

Would you agree that a First Nations child has the same exact chance to succeed as an Anglo-Saxon blonde boy named Luke?

You are trying to play the 'Kumbaya' card and pretend the world is perfect and colorblind. In reality, race is still a major facet of one's culture and identity. If you disagree, go look at the anti-Chinese sentiment in Vancouver or the anti-First Nations sentiment in Winnipeg.

Racism still exists my friend.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Something that requires staying indoors basically. The city was built on a swamp and has the worst summers I've ever encountered. We clipped 90 degrees last week and it's barely May. My two favorites are the Library of Congress and the American Art Museum/National Portrait Gallery.

Here's a bucket list if you want to get adventurous: The Ultimate Washington DC Travel List - How many have you experienced?

It's an incredible city with tons to do. But the weather is one thing I could do without (there's very little Spring and it goes from cold and miserable to hot and miserable really quickly). There's a reason Washingtonians go gaga when the Cherry Blossoms bloom. Because for those 2 weeks we get to experience agreeable weather. My hope is to one day move further up into the Appalachians where the weather is much cooler and nicer. Some place like Front Royal or Paris or Star Tannery in Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada