U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 06:35 PM

3,698 posts, read 2,773,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Paricularly since England had a king at the time.

That was meant as a general comment to someone saying "I love my King/Queen"

I'm pretty sure that when Charles will take the crown, Zoisite will say "I love my king"....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 06:38 PM

13,340 posts, read 13,552,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
Btw, it would be great if someone could clarify this once and for all: Can it be stated with 200% certainty that absolutely no money collected in the form of taxes (income taxes, property taxes), royalties and any other form of ongoing income is never leaving Canada (or all the other British Commonwealth countries) and filling UK monarchy's pockets - as some form of exchange for the independence?

Call me paranoid or naive, but I cannot fathom the idea that a monarchy simply decided to take its hands off their former countries and lands, with a simple stroke of a pen...without hoping for some future regular income/benefits from such operation.

WHO is really owning the Canadian lands? Canada or the United Kingdom?

Thank you.
The Queen is actually not all that wealthy.. I think in terms of wealthy monarchs she is ranked 11th with a few hundred million dollars over the course of her life. King Bhumibol of Thailand makes her look like a welfare case - as do many other royals.

Instead of asking us if we are 'paying' for our independence why don't you research that yourself since you are making the accusation. Report back with credible results/credible sources that Canada is contributing large parts of its GDP to the Monarchy.

Most of the valuable land in Canada is probably owned by corporations/developers/extremely wealthy people - not the Queen in any practicable terms.

Canada is as much in charge of its destiny as any other sovereign state.. I'd argue the U.S is more influential in overall Canadian affairs than the Queen due to economic interests and geopolitics. Stop living in 1799, its 2016.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:50 PM

6,140 posts, read 3,078,680 times
Quote:
Btw, it would be great if someone could clarify this once and for all: Can it be stated with 200% certainty that absolutely no money collected in the form of taxes (income taxes, property taxes), royalties and any other form of ongoing income is never leaving Canada (or all the other British Commonwealth countries) and filling UK monarchy's pockets - as some form of exchange for the independence?

Call me paranoid or naive, but I cannot fathom the idea that a monarchy simply decided to take its hands off their former countries and lands, with a simple stroke of a pen...without hoping for some future regular income/benefits from such operation.

Thank you.
I grew up ( since I am 67 years old) when Canada was considered "Part" of the Commonwealth" of England ( later became UK)..so officially as of 1982..Canada became a sovereign Country back in 1982..prior..it became something in-between..which no doubt meant..we ran our own Country..but still had to get that old "Thumbs up" OK from UK...

After 1982..Canada became separate and apart from all oversight from England..but their historical history has been preserved..thus Queen Elizabeth remains on our $20.00 bill remains. BUT no one believes that she nor England formulates our laws nor force us to adhere to ANY controls from overseas!!

When did Canada become a country?

Quote:
Ultimately, Canada officially became a country in 1982. Canada became an independent country as a result of small contributions made by several Prime Ministers in different periods. Sir Wilfrid Laurier who was the Prime Minister from 1896 to approximately 1911 formed an independent Navy for Canada, without sharing Great Britain’s Navy. Another significant step taken towards Canada’s independence was Borden’s insisting that Canada should have its independent seat to sign the Treaty of Versailles, after World War I. It was an attempt at separating from Great Britain’s policies of international affairs. The last step was taken by Trudeau towards Canada becoming an independent nation. He brought home the Constitution in 1982 which legally allowed Canada to amend its own constitution instead of depending for it on Great Britain.
As to Canada being a Superpower..sure we are..but in the sense of being Militarily Powerful..nor eyes on taking over anybodies Country..nor demanding other Countries abide by OUR rules... ALL Canadians basically do is assist and TRY to help those endangered..support when we can..While we are not a Rich Country..WE also are not poor nor ignore those Countries that are POOR~~ While we aren't perfect..has made errors in judgement..at least we try to make a difference.. No one would ever point at Canada for trying to alter another Countries status..post 1982...Bottomline..Canada are for Peace..NOT war..and past British history cannot not be painted on our Legacy..since back then Commonwealth of Canada was back then DIRECTED to follow those orders beyond our borders...

Maybe non-Canadians may not know our history..and I myself is amazed what changes has transpired since I was born..Canada NOW is not what Canada was back in the mid 20th Century..at least IMO

Old 05-19-2016, 07:08 PM

9,227 posts, read 3,683,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Thank God, the US had not many of people thinking that way at the time of independence
Was not the War of Independence fought because the Mother country would not let the colonists vote for members of Parliament in England? The no taxation without representation seemsnot to say no king only a president. [

I like that our cabinet ministers are not only elected but have to take their place along side the Prime minister and face questions from the opposition on almost a daily basis. I doubt if you went with a parliamentary system and we chose a presidential system that there would be a reversal in positions of power.

Maybe Canada has been held back because we have only 3 downs compared to your 4. Makes as much sense.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:24 PM

20,164 posts, read 23,215,069 times
Quote:

I'm pretty sure that when Charles will take the crown, Zoisite will say "I love my king"....
He'll never make it. The old lady will outlive him.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:25 PM

20,164 posts, read 23,215,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Maybe Canada has been held back because we have only 3 downs compared to your 4. Makes as much sense.
But your field is bigger. And your backs can be in motion prior to the snap. Not to mention the dreaded rouge.

No excuses for you.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:00 PM

13,150 posts, read 11,675,265 times
Quote:

I love my Queen all to little bits and pieces, God bless her and long may she reign. Charles is another matter as I'm not very keen about his character. If I had any say in the matter I would prefer to see Charles abdicate if he can and have William take the crown instead when Queen E passes on. I can't say I love William and Kate (yet) but I'm definitely very fond of them.

Quote:

Thank God, the US had not many of people thinking that way at the time of independence
Thank God I don't care one whit about that gong show you have down there. I was never impressed with the way those violent murderers claimed their independence and am still not impressed with the way that nation and its government has developed since it claimed its independence.

But we're talking about Canada in this thread, not the gong show, so I'll say no more about that.

Quote:

The Crown holds the lands. Canada is the Crown. That means that Canada holds the lands.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:15 PM

520 posts, read 1,366,843 times
Good to know. If no secret agreements are taking place (and Governments and head of state not having to take an oath to never divulge etc), I'm more relieved now. Thanks.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:27 PM

13,340 posts, read 13,552,853 times
Quote:
Good to know. If no secret agreements are taking place (and Governments and head of state not having to take an oath to never divulge etc), I'm more relieved now. Thanks.
Good - glad you'll be able to sleep better at night knowing the Queen is a pretty remote figurehead when It comes to the operational mechanisms of Canada...

Old 05-19-2016, 09:44 PM

3,698 posts, read 2,773,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

Thank God I don't care one whit about that gong show you have down there. I was never impressed with the way those violent murderers claimed their independence

....so for you the American revolution was a "murderous event".....guess what, when countries did need to fight for their independence and not given to them for free in small steps at the ruler choosing often things got messy...so the French revolution was bloody or the Italian independence from Austria, Mexico from Spain, India, etc...

Not to mention that these "violent murderers" of the south saved your beloved monarchy derriere during WWII and without them in the first place you would probably still be a British Subject.....and probably you would not care anyway.....

I guess when the murders were committed by the British it was all good huh??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada