U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2016, 12:49 AM

Location: Prince William County of the Crown Commonwealth of Virginia
2,595 posts, read 2,175,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
Nope. If you ever become more powerful, then you'll be seen as a threat to the US. Then the American government will do anything to bring you down. Also, we have the most powerful military in the world, and we're your biggest trading partner, so it won't end well.

Not saying I condone any of those actions, but that's probably what would happen.
Exactly. The USA is nice to its friends so long as they 'know their place in the hierarchy.' Canada can never rival the USA so it would be foolish to even harbor superpower dreams. The U.S. doesn't like sharing power and Canada can't afford to be on Washington's bad side.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Like what they are doing to China right now.

however, if Canada does become that big, the US would need to think twice before doing anything to harm it, because chances are that it would harm itself as well.

Plus, when that day comes, the US might not be the most powerful nation in the world any more, if the current trends continue. The US hasn't been the most powerful country for that long.
The U.S. doesn't have to be the most powerful nation in the world to pose an existential threat to Canada. It only has to be the sole superpower in the Americas. Neither China nor Russia will bat a finger to defend Canada and nobody else in the Hemisphere can match the U.S. in economic, political or military acumen. So the whole "America is declining" crowd should look at the facts. Within the Americas, the U.S. is actually gaining economic, political and military dominance. It's far from declining within its sphere of influence.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Surely you are joking if America was that type of country we would do the exact same thing to the United Kingdom. The Canadians are our friends and as a matter of fact as close friends as the British.
The British are true allies. It's an open secret in Washington among the diplomatic corps that Canadians have a huge anti-American streak in their society. Just read the State Department cables from the U.S. Embassy in Ottawa:

This is from an OFFICIAL State Department cable, not from me or from an unofficial source:

Quote:
In many ways lacking a strong national identity, Canadians often define themselves simply by stating what they are not -- American. According to one University of Ottawa professor, Canadian identity is based largely on those things Canadians feel they "do better" than the U.S.: e.g., implementing government-run social welfare programs; abiding by moral underpinnings; establishing a harmonious yet multicultural and diverse population; and, peacekeeping rather than peacemaking.
https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/09OTTAWA298_a.html

When America is suffering, the British are there to help. When Americans are suffering, Canadians would like to take that time to remind everyone that they are not Americans and that such suffering would never happen in Canada, because Canada is perfect in every way and rainbows and chocolate rain over Toronto on a daily basis.

Although there is a lot of regional divergence. Western Canadians are a lot more pro-American than those in the East. Ontario, and particularly Toronto, and Quebec are the epicenter of Anti-Americans. Quebecois Anti-Americanism is mostly political (they don't like our Republicans). Ontario's anti-Americanism is mostly visceral and cultural (they don't like Americans as a people).

And if you don't believe me, as a fellow American, I'd suggest you read this: http://www.salon.com/2014/11/28/ever...aligned_other/

Old 05-21-2016, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Perhaps it's worthwhile having a look at Canadian inventions before assuming that Canada is not a superpower. Here are a couple of links to get you started:

CANADIAN INVENTIONS

50 great gifts Canada gave the world

After Canadians make a huge contribution, such as Java script, they travel the world (e.g.: to the US) to share their brilliant ideas, but the authentic original work is done in Canada. That's not a braindrain, that is free and open sharing of ideas.
Great American Inventions:
Atom Smasher
Airplane
Automobile Assembly Line
Communications Satellite
Digital Camera
Global Positioning System
Internet
Iron Lung
Laser
Mobile Phone
Nuclear Bomb
Personal Computer
Photographic Film
Polio Vaccine
Rock n'Roll
Skyscraper
Space Shuttle
Telephone
Transistor
Virtual Reality

"Great" Canadian Inventions (according to those links):
Canada Dry Ginger Ale
Canada Arm
Chris Hadfield
Coffee Crisp
Crispy Crunch
Five-Pin Bowling
Goalie Mask
Justin Bieber
McIntosh Red Apple
Nanaimo Bars
Oven Cleaner
Trivial Pursuit
Poutine
Wonderbra

Do you honestly think Canada's accomplishments have had 1% of the impact of true superpowers? The U.S., The U.K., Russia, Japan, France: those countries have truly been at the cusp of global technological discovery. And some of those 'inventions' were actually stolen from other countries. Alexander Graham Bell discovered the telephone in Boston, not in Brantford.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:36 AM

20,164 posts, read 23,215,069 times
As an American, I would argue that Superpowers exist not only in the gross numbers of bombs, dollars, and doo-dads. They are also defined by their acts of compassion and heroism. Some posters here either have short memories or are too young to remember this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Caper

When the chips are down, Canada and America are very close neighbors, indeed. And the world is better for it!

Old 05-21-2016, 07:53 AM

13,340 posts, read 13,552,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
The British are true allies. It's an open secret in Washington among the diplomatic corps that Canadians have a huge anti-American streak in their society. Just read the State Department cables from the U.S. Embassy in Ottawa:

This is from an OFFICIAL State Department cable, not from me or from an unofficial source:

https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/09OTTAWA298_a.html

When America is suffering, the British are there to help. When Americans are suffering, Canadians would like to take that time to remind everyone that they are not Americans and that such suffering would never happen in Canada, because Canada is perfect in every way and rainbows and chocolate rain over Toronto on a daily basis.

Although there is a lot of regional divergence. Western Canadians are a lot more pro-American than those in the East. Ontario, and particularly Toronto, and Quebec are the epicenter of Anti-Americans. Quebecois Anti-Americanism is mostly political (they don't like our Republicans). Ontario's anti-Americanism is mostly visceral and cultural (they don't like Americans as a people).

And if you don't believe me, as a fellow American, I'd suggest you read this: Everybody hates Americans: My life abroad as the maligned Other - Salon.com
What about 9/11 when 10's of thousands of Americans were hosted by Canadians in their homes with open arms.. This isn't even political or governmental - just everyday Canadian people but yes, Canada allowed these planes to land in its cities with great risk to our own population centres. I remember seeing a sea of Northwest, United, American 747's, 767's etc on the aprons of Toronto Pearson at the time. You were probably 10 or 12 years old if but I actually experienced it. I also took part in helping these people, mostly Americans and damned proud of it - though yes we were in danger too!

You think you figured out everything there Is to know about people by what you read on the internet?.. I suspect its because you're young. You read a lot but haven't experienced much so you come across with your 'facts' and stats and 'sources'

As you get older you appreciate that there is more to any given people than what may meet the eye. You're going to find representative anti American sentiment in pretty much any given populace, even in the U.S itself. There is a healthy dose of Anti Canada sentiment in the U.S as well... You've seemed to latch onto that to some degree.

This comment though about Ontario's anti-Americanism being visceral and cultural takes the cake though. Why? Well i'm from here and live here and that is simply not the case. There are elements but as I said, those elements exists everywhere. Its neat and tidy what you said but it doesn't even begin to truly understand the complexity of how 14 million people think, feel about a host of issues.

You'll probably continue to read and write what you do - but if you want to consider yourself an authority on any subject rather than an armchair C/D expert on Canadian affairs, i'd suggest you get to know the 'enemy' a bit better because based on what you've written, you have a long way to go. The best initial approach would be to have an open mind because you have filled in the crevices of your thought patterns with a lot of guck.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-21-2016 at 08:03 AM..

Old 05-21-2016, 08:37 AM

9,590 posts, read 5,151,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post

Bieber was born in Canada, but manufactured in the US from a young age. That's on the US.
True enough. But Bieber ALLOWED himself to be manufactured in the US, did he not? Considering he was a minor, his Canadian parents ALLOWED it, didn't they? Those music industry execs, agents, and PR reps haven't, to the best of my knowledge, held a gun to his head, have they?

That Justin Bieber has become only one of many examples of fluffy, fake pop culture is on Justin Bieber, ultimately. No one else. And to all the Canadians who complain about being bombarded with the non-stop US Presidential campaign crap, including what FOX news has to say about it or about Canada, yada, yada, yada...that is on YOU. No one else. No one is holding a gun to your head to watch or to listen to it.

I live in the US, and I will be voting in the US general election in November. Yet, I am NOT seeing or hearing any of the ridiculous spectacle of this presidential campaign. Why is that? How can that be? Very simple: I choose not to be. I refuse to be. Other than to watch a documentary or a quality TV show on DVD, I dont watch TV. I don't watch any of the "debates." Not one. I have no idea what FOX news or ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, etc says about any of the candidates, because I don't watch it. And I know I'm not missing anything of substance. I know that, come November, I will he able to make a perfectly sound, informed decision.

If you feel you're "forced" to watch the presidential campaign circus, you have no one but yourselves to blame. The rise of Shyster Trump happened because Americans, no matter how much they despise him, allowed it to happen. They watched him, listened to him, wrote about him, talked about him, complained about him. The thing is, if a circus has no audience, it will move on. And if it can't find an audience anywhere, it will cease to exist.

That the ever-growing circus of US politics finds an ever-growing audience in the US is bad enough. If nothing else, though, at least Americans are watching their OWN media and their OWN election. Canadians, on the other hand, choose to be eager audience members of the US political circus. They voraciously consume the stupid reality TV of another country...and then complain about it.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:15 AM

22,752 posts, read 13,829,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
You make a good point, and I guess I did assume too much.

But if you look at the number of Americans moving to Canada vs Canadians moving to the US, there are more of the latter, even though the US has 9x the population. I'm not completely sure why though... But surely this means that the US is doing something right that Canada isn't. It seems that, despite the crazy politics, the income inequality, and the violence, the US is still the #1 country people want to immigrate to.

The first reasons that come to my mind are higher salaries, a lower cost of living, more job opportunities, and a much larger population.
Aaah;that would be "no". It's called economy of scale and it's inherent and incidental effect on any economy and it's resultant number of opportunities.

Where would you expect to find more opportunities, in a country with an economy supported by 35 mil. or one of 350 mil.

Where would you expect to find the kind of funding formulae that would result in servicing the universities and other things of larger demand.

Putting it quite simply and perhaps more rudely: you should be a whole lot better than you are at present at most things across the board!

Your "attained" education stats aren't so great, your quality of primary/secondary education are abysmal to say the least, your health related stats are terrible, your QOL ratings are falling, your overall general happiness polls routinely show you as less happy and content than some third world countries with a larger per-capita debt load and less personal savings.

These very boards are replete with Americans posting about things like a $400.00 doctor's visit being outside the capabilities of the average American.

2015 American Household Credit Card Debt Study
Total owed by average U.S. household carrying this type of debt Total debt owed by U.S. consumers
Credit cards $15,762 $733 billion
Mortgages $168,614 $8.25 trillion
Auto loans $27,141 $1.06 trillion
Student loans $48,172 $1.23 trillion

Canada excluding mortgage:

Consumer debt rising, but Canadians have a better handle on it - Business - CBC News

This less flattering one includes mortgage debt:

The good, the bad and the ugly of Canadian household debt: Should we be worried? | Financial Post

Given the opportunity to trade for a larger military, a lifestyle financed via credit card debt, the opportunity to pay three times as much for a similar education and god only knows how much more over the typical lifespan (ours are longer by the by) for routine pre-emptive healthcare ............anyone with even a rudimentary knowledge of economics would probably opt for..........well that depends on the individuals tastes and the propaganda fed to them as always, doesn't it?

Old 05-21-2016, 09:37 AM

22,752 posts, read 13,829,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
True enough. But Bieber ALLOWED himself to be manufactured in the US, did he not? Considering he was a minor, his Canadian parents ALLOWED it, didn't they? Those music industry execs, agents, and PR reps haven't, to the best of my knowledge, held a gun to his head, have they?

That Justin Bieber has become only one of many examples of fluffy, fake pop culture is on Justin Bieber, ultimately. No one else. And to all the Canadians who complain about being bombarded with the non-stop US Presidential campaign crap, including what FOX news has to say about it or about Canada, yada, yada, yada...that is on YOU. No one else. No one is holding a gun to your head to watch or to listen to it.

I live in the US, and I will be voting in the US general election in November. Yet, I am NOT seeing or hearing any of the ridiculous spectacle of this presidential campaign. Why is that? How can that be? Very simple: I choose not to be. I refuse to be. Other than to watch a documentary or a quality TV show on DVD, I dont watch TV. I don't watch any of the "debates." Not one. I have no idea what FOX news or ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, etc says about any of the candidates, because I don't watch it. And I know I'm not missing anything of substance. I know that, come November, I will he able to make a perfectly sound, informed decision.

If you feel you're "forced" to watch the presidential campaign circus, you have no one but yourselves to blame. The rise of Shyster Trump happened because Americans, no matter how much they despise him, allowed it to happen. They watched him, listened to him, wrote about him, talked about him, complained about him. The thing is, if a circus has no audience, it will move on. And if it can't find an audience anywhere, it will cease to exist.

That the ever-growing circus of US politics finds an ever-growing audience in the US is bad enough. If nothing else, though, at least Americans are watching their OWN media and their OWN election. Canadians, on the other hand, choose to be eager audience members of the US political circus. They voraciously consume the stupid reality TV of another country...and then complain about it.
This is all true. Were we to object to our network providers that we have too much American crappola perhaps they'd be forced to address it and spend more money on domestic origin. The downside of that would be how much those already existent restraints would come under fire for being contrary to freedom of access and freedom of speech considerations.

In keeping with the average Canadian's long held impressions of the Quebec language laws, we have a natural aversion to institutions like the CRTC telling us what we can and what we cannot watch in the interests of maintenance of culture: ergo, we are by choice inundated by American TV.

My opinion has always been one of: cultures worth sustaining will do so regardless of exposure to outside influence and should it not be worthy then it will flounder and slowly be absorbed. Somehow the "Cajun" culture of Louisiana manages to survive with it's origins from Acadia while surrounded by what one might describe as completely opposite counter-cultures of any number.

Summation: We can express opinions about the electoral process in a neighbouring country but I don't think we can opine being fed up at the depth and breadth of it. That's a 'personal choice' issue as has been suggested.

Last edited by BruSan; 05-21-2016 at 10:23 AM..

Old 05-21-2016, 09:55 AM

2,190 posts, read 1,930,612 times
Canada is NOT a superpower. It's just Americas and Britons Bi**h. The state of California has a larger population than Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada