U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2016, 01:29 PM

10,276 posts, read 9,329,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajputMaster24 View Post
Dear friends, if canada opens up its immigration policy do you think it can become a superpower?
Canada already has some of the most liberal immigration policies of any first world nation on the planet.

And Canada doesn't really have a massive, endless amount of space. It's basically Chile, in terms of where people are realistically going to live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 01:37 PM

7,340 posts, read 4,185,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Good question. I believe that some of them are insecure and feeling threatened about the potential for it happening, as evidenced by some of the responses from some (not all) Americans posting in this thread.

After the fiasco in the middle east that spawned ISIS, the US might be feeling a bit insecure about whether the use of power has been super, or careless.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:38 PM

3,698 posts, read 2,771,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Good question. I believe that some of them are insecure and feeling threatened about the potential for it happening, as evidenced by some of the responses from some (not all) Americans posting in this thread.

Americans threatened "about the superpower strength and influence of their neighbor to the North?

What is this, Comedy Central??

If there is any anxiety in some Americans is all about China and resurgent Russia.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:50 PM

13,127 posts, read 11,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Americans threatened "about the superpower strength and influence of their neighbor to the North?

If there is any anxiety in some Americans is all about China and resurgent Russia.
People who consistently, perpetually rely on mockery, negativity and condescension in all of their responses about one given place are people who are feeling insecure and threatened by that place and its people. You are and always have been at the top the list of people who rely on mockery and denegration in all of your discussions about Canada and you don't seem to recognize that you are identifying yourself to everyone else as someone who is utterly terrified of Canada and all that it and its people can be.

Seriously son, I think you need to go get yourself some professional counselling about your phobia of Canada, because your phobia marks you as a person who might pose a potential danger to Canada in the future.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:52 PM

528 posts, read 396,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Are people in the US insecure about the superpower strength and influence of their neighbor to the North?
I'm not saying this out of insecurity. I'm one of the least patriotic Americans you'll ever meet, I despise a lot of what we're doing in the world, and I don't like the fact that we're the only real superpower because that means there's no one to keep our aggression in line. It's just that through the sheer population size of the US as well as its military, economic, intellectual, and cultural influence, I don't think Canada will become a superpower. But that doesn't, by any means, imply that Canada isn't a lovely country.

And in a way, isn't that a good thing for Canadians? Isn't it nice to be a part of a country that isn't hated by the rest of the world for being a bully and to not have to waste so much tax money on wars and an absurdly large military?

Old 05-21-2016, 01:53 PM

6,287 posts, read 4,147,699 times
I don't think that Canada is a super power nor do I think that most Canadians want to be one.

I do have the impression that, for many Americans, their personal sense of value as human beings is partly dependent on their perception of the value/greatness of their country in the world. It makes them easily manipulated by their politicians.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post

Isn't it nice that Canada is kind to its neighbor to the South.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
True enough. But Bieber ALLOWED himself to be manufactured in the US, did he not? Considering he was a minor, his Canadian parents ALLOWED it, didn't they? Those music industry execs, agents, and PR reps haven't, to the best of my knowledge, held a gun to his head, have they?

That Justin Bieber has become only one of many examples of fluffy, fake pop culture is on Justin Bieber, ultimately. No one else. And to all the Canadians who complain about being bombarded with the non-stop US Presidential campaign crap, including what FOX news has to say about it or about Canada, yada, yada, yada...that is on YOU. No one else. No one is holding a gun to your head to watch or to listen to it.

I live in the US, and I will be voting in the US general election in November. Yet, I am NOT seeing or hearing any of the ridiculous spectacle of this presidential campaign. Why is that? How can that be? Very simple: I choose not to be. I refuse to be. Other than to watch a documentary or a quality TV show on DVD, I dont watch TV. I don't watch any of the "debates." Not one. I have no idea what FOX news or ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, etc says about any of the candidates, because I don't watch it. And I know I'm not missing anything of substance. I know that, come November, I will he able to make a perfectly sound, informed decision.

If you feel you're "forced" to watch the presidential campaign circus, you have no one but yourselves to blame. The rise of Shyster Trump happened because Americans, no matter how much they despise him, allowed it to happen. They watched him, listened to him, wrote about him, talked about him, complained about him. The thing is, if a circus has no audience, it will move on. And if it can't find an audience anywhere, it will cease to exist.

That the ever-growing circus of US politics finds an ever-growing audience in the US is bad enough. If nothing else, though, at least Americans are watching their OWN media and their OWN election. Canadians, on the other hand, choose to be eager audience members of the US political circus. They voraciously consume the stupid reality TV of another country...and then complain about it.

Well said

Old 05-21-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
My opinion has always been one of: cultures worth sustaining will do so regardless of exposure to outside influence and should it not be worthy then it will flounder and slowly be absorbed. Somehow the "Cajun" culture of Louisiana manages to survive with it's origins from Acadia while surrounded by what one might describe as completely opposite counter-cultures of any number.
Here we totally agree...actually Cajun culture is back on the rise in that region.....with no laws and regulations.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
I'm not saying this out of insecurity. I'm one of the least patriotic Americans you'll ever meet, I despise a lot of what we're doing in the world, and I don't like the fact that we're the only real superpower because that means there's no one to keep our aggression in line. It's just that through the sheer population size of the US as well as its military, economic, intellectual, and cultural influence, I don't think Canada will become a superpower. But that doesn't, by any means, imply that Canada isn't a lovely country.

And in a way, isn't that a good thing for Canadians? Isn't it nice to be a part of a country that isn't hated by the rest of the world for being a bully and to not have to waste so much tax money on wars and an absurdly large military?
I see that some people equate superpower with military threat capability, and others equate superpower with humane values. It's a good thing that Canada's superpower is in areas outside of influence by force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada