Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Grittiest City
Toronto 6 15.00%
Vancouver 3 7.50%
Montreal 8 20.00%
Calgary 1 2.50%
Saskatoon 2 5.00%
Winnipeg 18 45.00%
Ottawa 0 0%
Quebec City 0 0%
Halifax 0 0%
Edmonton 0 0%
Regina 1 2.50%
St John's NL 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 08:26 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,509,430 times

Advertisements

Montreal is that far ahead, eh?

I will admit that Montreal isn't a very clean city.

My vote was for Regina. I wasn't there long, but it was a rough place; at least the place I stayed at was gritty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 10:47 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
The answer is Hamilton of the bigger cities. There's also also some gritty smaller places, like Sydney, NS; Sarnia, ON; and Thunder Bay, ON.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:37 PM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Saint John, NB gave off the gritty vibe when I visited. Not sure if it is number one, but it belongs in the discussion.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:27 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,366,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Saint John, NB gave off the gritty vibe when I visited. Not sure if it is number one, but it belongs in the discussion.
My home town. Don't be disturbed by that huge pulp mill in the centre of the city... Saint John has a lot of older housing, and pockets of poverty that are among the worst in the country. I grew up next to the docks on the lower West side. Having said that, the people are actually relatively nice and friendly, even in the dodgier areas. I will admit, though, that some of the shabbier old Victorian-era housing looks like something out of a Dickens novel.

I would still vote for Montreal... for a couple of reasons. The rough parts of Montreal are rough indeed: there are hard drug users, street prostitution, homelessness, and violent crime, not to mention some crowded and dingy housing conditions. Most of that is far worse than what you'd see in Saint John, or most smaller cities, no matter the poverty rate. I think the levels of violent crime and the transient populations in big cities make poverty much more difficult to survive there.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:45 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
That's what my brother says, too. His company offered him a bit of a promotion if he moved to Saint John. After going there to visit, though, he said, No thanks, and decided to stay in Oakville. )

Old 06-11-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
That's what my brother says, too. His company offered him a bit of a promotion if he moved to Saint John. After going there to visit, though, he said, No thanks, and decided to stay in Oakville. )
Most people with decent jobs in the area actually live east of the city, in the Kennebecasis Valley. Saint John's population is about 60,000 and I'd guess the KV area has around 35,000 people. Thus adding to the general poverty inside the city proper.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:48 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post

I would still vote for Montreal... for a couple of reasons. The rough parts of Montreal are rough indeed: there are hard drug users, street prostitution, homelessness, and violent crime, not to mention some crowded and dingy housing conditions. Most of that is far worse than what you'd see in Saint John, or most smaller cities, no matter the poverty rate. I think the levels of violent crime and the transient populations in big cities make poverty much more difficult to survive there.
What's happening to Montreal? I lived there in the 80s as a teen, and, at that time, Montreal didn't have any worse areas that most cities have. What factors do you think contribute to Montreal's decline?

Old 06-11-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
What's happening to Montreal? I lived there in the 80s as a teen, and, at that time, Montreal didn't have any worse areas that most cities have. What factors do you think contribute to Montreal's decline?
I don't think it's a decline, it just seems that the more down-and-out places have a laid-back resignation to the conditions. Also, it's 30 years since the 1980s... the shabby buildings have had 3 more decades to fall apart.

Crumbling infrastructure doesn't help the city's self-image either. Maybe with more projects to rejuvenate the roads and the new bridge, Montreal will get a boost.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:59 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Montreal isn't that bad. It has actually cleaned up A lot. I was thinking of areas around point st charles and little burgundy and other places off the canal but those places are much much nicer now than they were 15- 20 years ago. Even parts of the plateau looked pretty gritty before. St john has its grimey looking areas for sure. North end Halifax used to be very grimey, one of the few places that really did look like a slum in areas like creighton street, maynard street etc. It was a violent drug infested area with old boarded up houses. But even the north end of Halifax has been cleaned up in a big way. It is still a little rough but nothing like what it used to be.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:27 PM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
My home town. Don't be disturbed by that huge pulp mill in the centre of the city... Saint John has a lot of older housing, and pockets of poverty that are among the worst in the country. I grew up next to the docks on the lower West side. Having said that, the people are actually relatively nice and friendly, even in the dodgier areas. I will admit, though, that some of the shabbier old Victorian-era housing looks like something out of a Dickens novel.

Quote:
Quote:
Most people with decent jobs in the area actually live east of the city, in the Kennebecasis Valley. Saint John's population is about 60,000 and I'd guess the KV area has around 35,000 people. Thus adding to the general poverty inside the city proper.
My SIL lives out there now because she married a guy from the area. So we had some time to explore the city after her wedding. It definitely gave off a down and out vibe, but as you said the people are very friendly. My sister and I even went out drinking one night and had a good time chatting it up with everyone.

As you mentioned many of the professional folks seem to live outside the city. She lives in Rothesay and we also spent some time in Quispamsis, both of which are really nice. Ironically enough she said she got a raise from her job in Toronto, which was surprising because the COL is super low from what I gathered.

I will most likely be back next month for a visit, look forward to digging into the city a bit more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada