Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 09:37 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,285,011 times

Advertisements

Hi. My wife and I are driving the kids to Niagara Falls from North Carolina in early July for a family vacation, and then going to Toronto for a couple of days. Then we'll drive to Detroit and head back south to Alabama.

Obviously, Niagara Falls will be touristy. But what are some other fun things for a family to do in Toronto and Southern Ontario? My kids as 13, 11, and 9.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 12:42 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,862,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Hi. My wife and I are driving the kids to Niagara Falls from North Carolina in early July for a family vacation, and then going to Toronto for a couple of days. Then we'll drive to Detroit and head back south to Alabama.

Obviously, Niagara Falls will be touristy. But what are some other fun things for a family to do in Toronto and Southern Ontario? My kids as 13, 11, and 9.

thanks!
Visit the Toronto Zoo!

It's one of the largest in the world plus it's pretty affordable. They even have a "Serengetti Bush Camp" where you can spend the night and sleep in screened-cabins to the sounds of African (and native) wildlife for a reasonable price.

There are plenty of other fun things to do but that is one that sticks out to me.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:18 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,249,768 times
Yes, check out the Zoo!
You and your kids might also enjoy visiting these Toronto attractions and neighbourhoods:

The CN Tower
Ontario Place
The Ontario Science Centre
The Royal Ontario Museum
Paramount Canada's Wonderland
Yonge St./Eaton Centre
Queen St. West
Kensington Market

Old 02-17-2008, 05:05 PM

Also rememered there are cool caves to go explore between Owen Sound and Tobermory on Georgian Bay.
It's part of a large formation called the "Niagara Escarpment" stretching from Niagara Falls northwest about 200-300 miles.

It's about 3-4 hours drive northwest of Toronto but still might be worth the drive. The water is pretty clear and the caves, cliffs and strange rock formations come right up to the shore. You don't need a boat to see them, there are some footpaths to get to some of the caves. The water won't be warm... expect water between 55 F (worst case scenario) to 65 F in July, but it's at least perfectly fine for a bit of splashing around in bathing suits. On a hot day, obviously even better.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:19 PM

355 posts, read 1,505,260 times
I also suggest you visit the Rideau canal in Ottawa. Its a great place to bike. Just rent bikes and ride on the banks of the canal. Its a lot of fun for the kids as well as adults. Also, you could visit the Gatineau park in Quebec. Its about a 15 min drive from Ottawa. If you can't go as far as Ottawa (take about 4 hours from Toronto), you could visit Kingston. Its a lovely little place with a fort. Lots of activities. You could pretty much walk around and enjoy this vibrant city in summer.
My husband and i lived in Ottawa for almost 3 years before relocating to North Carolina last sept.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:46 PM

A little bit closer to Toronto than Kingston is "Sandbanks Provincial Park." It's about 40 minutes south of Belleville, and the city of Belleville is about 2-2.5 hours from Toronto.

Kingston is roughly 3 hours from Toronto
Ottawa is roughly 5 hours from Toronto

Anyways, at Sandbanks they have dunes that go anywhere from 10-60 feet tall. You can camp there if you want. It has some pretty nice beaches. I didn't suggest it before because it might be similar to visiting the Outer Banks. However, if your family does not like hot weather (since it's generally cooler here) this could be a nice place for a beach vacation.

But if you're coming all the way up here, you'd probably prefer to see something much different. Ever see commercials for Barbados with caves? It's kind of like that at the caves I was talking about, only with (typically) cooler weather and some mixed deciduous and northern conifer vegetation.

*Don't drive too fast on our highways.
The just past a law where anyone going 50 km/h (31 mph) over the limit can get their vehicle impounded and a $10,000 ticket.
However, while on the highway, it is typical in wide open rural areas (when the road is dry) for the traffic to move between 15-25km/h over the limit (70-75 mph) and police will typically not pull anyone over. Kind of strange.

Anyways, even if you know where you're going, keep your speed under 80 mph on the 100 km/h highways and you should be fine.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:10 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,770,158 times
Sandbanks Provincial Park is indeed a great spot to spend a few days enjoying sun, sand, and the beach. Please be aware, though, that the park is extremely popular and camp sites can be hard to come by at peak times.

More information about Sandbanks and other Ontario Provincial Parks can be found at: Welcome to Ontario Parks .

Sandbanks is located on a peninusula that extends 30 miles into Lake Ontario called Prince Edward County.

The County, as it's modestly known, offers a wide variety of camping, bed and breakfasts, dining, antique and artisan galleries, and a blossoming wine industry.

For more information on PEC, try www.pec.on.ca

Old 02-19-2008, 07:30 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,285,011 times
Great advice guys.

Anything that's closer to Detroit or Sarnia? We don't want to go through Buffalo twice, so we're kind of making a loop of the entire thing.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:05 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,613,183 times
Closer to Detroit or Sarnia ......I recommend Point Pelee National Park ...it is south of Windsor/Detroit on the shore of Lake Erie ...is has a marshland boardwalk and a trolley that takes you to the point ...you can swim too water temp can reach 75 degrees in late summer ...farther north (NE of Sarnia) is Grand Bend ....a very nice beach area .......just north of Niagara Falls, Ontario is a very pretty town ...Niagara on the Lake ...definitely a must see ....just go north on the Niagara Parkway ....about halfway is the Butterfly Conservatory and Botanical Gardens ...both worth checking out

Old 02-22-2008, 05:53 AM

1,669 posts, read 4,249,768 times
If you're going to be driving towards Windsor, you could take a little detour and check out the Shakespearean festival In Stratford, it's a major tourist town in Southwestern Ontario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada