Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 19,574 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My name is Ken, I came from Vietnam, staying in Canada for a while, and paying TAXes when buying things, but going to get nothing from it (TAXes).

I heard from some canadian old friends that I'm able to get the it back (TAXes that I paid) when I leave Canada as long as I still have the receipt with me.

1. Is that right?

2. And if yes, how can I get it back? And where I can get it?

If any one knows about this or have experience on this, please help to let me know. Thank you all in advance

Have a nice day,
Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 05:41 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,744,454 times
Sorry, Ken, visitors to Canada used to be able to file for a refund of the Good and Services Tax (GST) after leaving Canada, but the Visitor Rebate program has been discontinued effective April 1, 2007.

There are still some rebate provisions available for specific circumstances under the Foreign Tour and Convention Program.

More information is available here: NOTICE221 - Questions and Answers on the Cancellation of the Visitor Rebate Program and the New Foreign Convention and Tour Incentive Program (http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gi/notice221/notice221-e.html - broken link)

Old 02-19-2008, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 19,574 times
thanks a lot Cornerguy1, I really appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada