Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:10 AM

60 posts, read 172,650 times

Advertisements

I mean, relatively speaking, San Francisco and environs is the one major American metro area that would provide the least culture shock to an emigrant Canauck, given the following factors that are also present in Canada:

* high Chinese - and East Asian and Southeast Asian - contingent
(more so than even LA)

* low African contingent
(Oakland's inhabitants don't form a significant part of the Bay Area's population, whereas Compton does in the LA metro)

* moderate, not fully Mediterranean temperatures
(like southwest BC, but unlike SD)

* minimal working class presence
(admittedly, SF skews toward upper class and many Canadian metros toward middle, but the point still stands in light of LA's squalor, disregarding the homeless people found in all of them)

* radicalism
(in terms of progressive movements, LA just can't hold a candle to the libertarianism of AB and the union activism of SK and MB, supposedly the three most conservative provinces)

* suburban sprawl in check
(there is no equivalent to Orange County or the Inland Empire in either NorCal or CA)

So what is it that drives the good people of the Great North to the wasteland in the southwest corner of the contiguous 48 over the land of gold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 12:43 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,742,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin Eistrup View Post
I mean, relatively speaking, San Francisco and environs is the one major American metro area that would provide the least culture shock to an emigrant Canauck, given the following factors that are also present in Canada:

* high Chinese - and East Asian and Southeast Asian - contingent
(more so than even LA)

* low African contingent
(Oakland's inhabitants don't form a significant part of the Bay Area's population, whereas Compton does in the LA metro)

* moderate, not fully Mediterranean temperatures
(like southwest BC, but unlike SD)

* minimal working class presence
(admittedly, SF skews toward upper class and many Canadian metros toward middle, but the point still stands in light of LA's squalor, disregarding the homeless people found in all of them)

* radicalism
(in terms of progressive movements, LA just can't hold a candle to the libertarianism of AB and the union activism of SK and MB, supposedly the three most conservative provinces)

* suburban sprawl in check
(there is no equivalent to Orange County or the Inland Empire in either NorCal or CA)

So what is it that drives the good people of the Great North to the wasteland in the southwest corner of the contiguous 48 over the land of gold?
No idea, but can I make a guess?

1st Ex: Most Canadians are still "white" and English speaking, of those many of them do not normally eat ethnic Asian foods. So most people would not mind.

3rd Ex: In Canada, summer is the most popular season, as well as the shortest season, typically.
Most Canadians would like to see more summer weather; sunny weather from 65-80 F.
Southern California certainly has more of this.

Also to me, the Meditteranean climate of San Diego is extremely moderate, brush fires aside,
while San Francisco's climate seems more moderately-cold.

All the other points seem more likely to affect one's interest in permanent relocation, perhaps to start a family or hopefully a long-lasting career. I'd suspect that most Canadians in southern California probably have no interest in staying long-term, in light of their current problems like outrageous cost of real estate and illegal immigration.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:04 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,436,437 times
The same reason why more Americans see Niagara Falls than Vancouver when they come to Canada. Niagara Falls offers the tacky commercial crap just like SoCal's Disneyland and theme parks. Niagara Falls is heavily marketed to Americans just like SoCal is heavily marketed to Canadians. Therefore, Vancouver, like San Francisco, appeals less to the lowest common denominator. End of story.

But what's the basis for this? Are you talking about Canadian immigration? Canadians seeking jobs? Or Canadians seeking tourism? Where are you getting these stats from?

I mean, if you're talking about where Canadians go when they move to the USA, it often has to do with 3 things:

1. weather
2. jobs
3. pricing

Evidently, there are more jobs in the SoCal region than the SF Bay area. SoCal has a massive population - it only makes sense to find more Canadians there.

But I also think there's no one answer to this. There are many, many reasons perhaps. Perhaps it has to do with accessibility back to Canada as well?

I also completely disagree with ColdCanadian's analysis about Canada's relationship with Asian food. The Canadian stereotype is the white bread Canadian. That died in what... the 50's? Statistically speaking, the majority of Canada's population lives in major cities. Major cities like Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver have vast Asian populations and Asian food is very common in all cities. I'd even argue that Asian culture is more intrinsic to Canada as a whole than the USA as a whole.

I don't think Canadians even contemplate "culture shock" when contemplating going somewhere in the USA.

Last edited by Robynator; 02-19-2008 at 02:21 PM..

Old 02-19-2008, 02:15 PM

6,304 posts, read 8,990,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin Eistrup View Post
I'm not too much of a fan of Los Angeles, having left there recently after 4 years, but I have to defend it in this case. The "squalor of LA"? Like anywhere else in the world, it depends upon where you go. The term "wasteland" is an entirely subjective one.

Depending on what you desire out of your life, LA and its environs *can* actually be a paradise. Venice, Santa Monica, West Hollywood, West Los Angeles, for example...there are MANY places that hardly classify as "full of squalor".

And, believe it or not, some people, Canadians included, actually enjoy the sun and warmth that southern California provides. San Francisco, especially in the winter, is quite miserable. I was there for the month of January several years ago, and it didn't stop raining. I personally like "change of seasons", but I'm not quite sure about the winters here in the Pacific Northwest. I imagine I'm not the only one who feels this way.

As for the "African population". Interesting. Compton isn't a place that I ever went near in my four years living in the heart of LA. The only "black area" that I went into on any regular basis was Inglewood, and that's only because LAX is located there. And, wow...I'm still here to talk about it. LA is no more defined by places like Compton than Vancouver is defined by the downtown east side.

The "Asian contingent". I guess if that's important to you, you would look at the Bay Area. But, seriously, unless you feel that you need a whole lot of "others like you", this isn't such a huge selling point.

Now, as for the economic demographic. That's a VERY interesting point. In all the time I've spent in Vancouver, and all of the people that I've met up there, I've *never* seen an urge, whatsoever, to "get away from the riff raff" (working class). Then again, I don't hang around with snobs, no matter where I am. But, again, you mention "LA squalor". Apparently, you need to do a *bit* more investigation into particular neighborhoods. I'd suggest starting with Santa Monica, and the Palisades. Then work your way from the coast to West LA and West Hollywood. Hey, if the majority of the populations of those areas are "working class", I'm proud to be one of them.

The "Bay area" is....well, the Bay area. As someone who has lived in So Cal, and is currently residing in the Pacific Northwest, I can tell you that I'm tremendously glad that I "skipped over" the Bay area in my move up north. I have no desire to reside there, but I understand that certain people *do* love it there. But, honestly, I don't see it as somewhere that Canadians, generally, would feel more comfortable in. Not in the least, actually. Most of the Canucks I know would see it as a great place to visit, but wouldn't like the mentality enough to put down stakes.

It's a personal choice, as these things always are. But, to see it as something that "Canadians" should look at, rather than So Cal, is just painting with too broad of strokes, IMO.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:15 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,742,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
I also completely disagree with ColdCanadian's analysis about Canada's relationship with Asian food. The Canadian stereotype is the white bread Canadian. That died in what... the 50's? Statistically speaking, the majority of Canada's population lives in major cities. Major cities like Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver have vast Asian populations and Asian food is very common in all cities. I'd even argue that Asian culture is more intrinsic to Canada as a whole than the USA as a whole.
I like Asian food, but I feel like I'm in a bit of a minority among other "white" Canadians.
Asian food is very popular with people of Asian ancestry, and there are tons of people with Asian ancestry in most large cities.

There's some interest from non-Asian people with Asian cuisine, but their market is somewhat limited, at least if we're not talking "Mandarin", "Manchu Wok" or "Ho-Lee-Chow."

Back in the 1950's, Canada was 90-95% white. Nowadays it is probably at least 45%, easily the largest single group of people in Canada.

I myself am a big fan of "Dim Sum" from southern China, (Canton) but very few non-Chinese people know what that is.
I also like "Tempura" from Japan, but most people have never heard of that either.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:19 PM

6,304 posts, read 8,990,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I myself am a big fan of "Dim Sum" from southern China, (Canton) but very few non-Chinese people know what that is.
I also like "Tempura" from Japan, but most people have never heard of that either.
Go to any metro area in the US and they'll know full-well what you are speaking of.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:55 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,240,268 times
Quote:
Asian food is very popular with people of Asian ancestry,
Wouldn't that just be called "food"

Old 02-19-2008, 05:00 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,231,075 times
So many Canadians live in the LA area because Canadians are taking over the entertainment industry there! haha

Old 02-19-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Very bizarre. This is not at all the experience I have in Canada. Every white Canadian I know knows what dim sum and tempura is. Not only do they know it, but they've had it. It's absolutely everywhere. Heck - I even ate tempura for lunch today.

Where exactly in Canada are you from? This might explain your experiences.

Last edited by Robynator; 02-19-2008 at 05:23 PM..

Old 02-19-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I like Asian food, but I feel like I'm in a bit of a minority among other "white" Canadians.
Again, I think this has more to do with the region you're in rather than Canada at large.

The region I live in (Vancouver) - sushi, tempura, izakaya, dim sum, hot pot, bubble tea, etc - are popularly eaten daily by thousands of white Canadians. It's not just for Asians - everyone here eats it. It's been a part of the Vancouver dining scene for decades. There are hundreds of Japanese restaurants all over Vancouver - it's like the city's unofficial food. Evidently, you've never been here before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada