Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2021, 11:51 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,599,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
The 11 Best Canadian Treats You Can’t Get in America:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...get-in-america
Ask for Smarties in the US and you get Rockets.

I'm a grown man...and yet...I'm a sucker for Hallowe'en marketing, maybe because I took marketing, PR and advertising courses.

I especially love how Smarties become Scaries, and Aero becomes ScAero, and Coffee Crisp, Coffin Crisp.

I always buy one of each every Hallowe'en since they came out.

Old 09-29-2021, 06:58 PM

https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-he...ciliation.html

Old 09-30-2021, 12:32 PM

7,684 posts, read 5,549,324 times
Americans aren't just blocking our oil pipelines, now they're fighting Hydro-Quebec's clean power lines.
Renewable energy powerhouse's plan to light up U.S. northeast encounters opposition from local groups, fossil fuel rivals:

https://financialpost.com/commoditie...il-fuel-rivals

Old 09-30-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Americans aren't just blocking our oil pipelines, now they're fighting Hydro-Quebec's clean power lines.
Renewable energy powerhouse's plan to light up U.S. northeast encounters opposition from local groups, fossil fuel rivals:

https://financialpost.com/commoditie...il-fuel-rivals
I see both sides.

On the one hand it's better for the air, but on the other hand, if I lived in Maine, I don't think I'd want logging a pathway through the forests.

Old 10-04-2021, 06:39 PM

British Columbia apple exports expected to triple this year: https://www.freshplaza.com/article/9...ple-this-year/
Quote:
Canada is world-famous for both the Ambrosia and Honeycrisp apple varieties. “These varieties thrive in the Canadian climate, producing the highest export quality,” Chong shared. “Demand strengthens each year due to our focus on improving export quality and utilizing optical sorting at our facilities.” Canadian apples inspected, packed, and exported by Sutherland mainly make their way over to Vietnam, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand, and Cambodia.

Old 10-09-2021, 04:14 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,523,153 times
Canada to the rescue!

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...Oi1?li=AAggXBV

The trauma of a British officers mess running out of tea was narrowly averted AND Canada gains some favour points, eh?

Old 10-12-2021, 05:54 PM

Macron wants face-to-face meeting with Trudeau to talk security, China, climate:

https://www.thestar.com/politics/202...a-climate.html

Maybe he wants to sell Trudeau some submarines.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:05 PM

Freeland vs. Carney as Trudeau’s successor?

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/pol...1_5619685.html

Old 10-13-2021, 03:22 AM

3,632 posts, read 3,426,926 times
Quote:
Macron wants face-to-face meeting with Trudeau to talk security, China, climate:

https://www.thestar.com/politics/202...a-climate.html

Maybe he wants to sell Trudeau some submarines.
That's my feeling. From what I understand, France has some diesel-electrics under construction for Australia, except now that Australia has cancelled the contract, France is looking for a buyer for these half-finished boats. Why not Canada? Our navy's Oberon-class submarines are obsolete (so obsolete, that Australia has had one on display in Sydney Harbour for twenty years, that the public can tour), so we must be wanting more modern submarines. "Hey, notres amis Canadiens, we've got these half-done--do you want them when we finish them?"

My own view is that we should not. Rather, we should look at doing like the Australians did: look at nuclear submarines. With climate change, and mild disputes (for now) arising about whether the Northwest Passage, traversing through Canada's waters as it does, is an international waterway; we need to take steps to protect our north, ice or not. Nuclear subs can travel under the ice, arise through the ice where necessary, and are not hampered by the need to surface to recharge batteries by running diesel. "Run silent, run deep," as the saying goes, and you can't do that in a diesel-electric submarine. And you certainly cannot do that under the ice covering Canada's claims in the Arctic Ocean.

Old 10-13-2021, 07:01 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,523,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
That's my feeling. From what I understand, France has some diesel-electrics under construction for Australia, except now that Australia has cancelled the contract, France is looking for a buyer for these half-finished boats. Why not Canada? Our navy's Oberon-class submarines are obsolete (so obsolete, that Australia has had one on display in Sydney Harbour for twenty years, that the public can tour), so we must be wanting more modern submarines. "Hey, notres amis Canadiens, we've got these half-done--do you want them when we finish them?"

My own view is that we should not. Rather, we should look at doing like the Australians did: look at nuclear submarines. With climate change, and mild disputes (for now) arising about whether the Northwest Passage, traversing through Canada's waters as it does, is an international waterway; we need to take steps to protect our north, ice or not. Nuclear subs can travel under the ice, arise through the ice where necessary, and are not hampered by the need to surface to recharge batteries by running diesel. "Run silent, run deep," as the saying goes, and you can't do that in a diesel-electric submarine. And you certainly cannot do that under the ice covering Canada's claims in the Arctic Ocean.
Chevy; the navy brass has a history of demanding "large" and getting handed spoonfuls.

Defence minister (86-89) Perrin Beatty once floated the nuke sub idea and was roundly laughed at way back when, with even the navy honchos of the day saying they'd very likely end up using the things to brew tea for the rest of the fleet. No forward vision has become our hallmark.

Had we only had the leadership capable of thinking outside the box back then, a nuclear powered sub fleet and perhaps even surface ships of all stripes from ice breakers to multi-role destroyers might be a reality today.

Now today we have a perfect storm of; at the very least four nations with nuclear capability showing aggressive behaviour and a willingness to go off the reservation over global expansion. Canada being coincidentally saddled with a Prime Minister more concerned with Canada's nicey-nicey image abroad than with our ability to actually do anything about rising military concerns from these nefarious players. It's as if he believes we're immune from any nasty situations, from actual dust-ups to economic fall-out because - well - gee - we're so nice, everybody likes us and would of course rush to our aid.

Our northern exposure has never been more at risk with the SS Manhattan proving the viability and value of a norther passage becoming a reality way back in the early sixties, after which our leadership just went back to sleep. Now today there's Russia building a military presence all along that shoreline and any number of nations all claiming rights of ownership with our Northern Rangers numbering less than a hundred riding around on ten year old snowmobiles and just recently having the old Lee Enfield .303's replaced with new bolt actions.

All the money being thrown around now to every corner of this wagon with four squeaky wheels, while our airforce is still flying used and abused retread F-18's is just the type of message being sent to the military we should be ashamed of, but ........

I won't hold my breath that any meeting with Macron will result in anything tangible other than another round of "we're all hail fellows well met" back slapping camaraderie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada