Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2021, 09:12 AM

3,878 posts, read 5,304,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well, actually it's quite a bit different as the Insurance company CEO's are not responsible to anyone other than shareholders; whereas Provincial legislators are responsible to their constituents and can be voted out over something just this emotionally charged. Especially so if one or more of the provinces approves it's coverage.

AND there's no discounting the ability for Canadians to move from one province that doesn't include it to another that does and be covered within a month or so with no major insurance costs to themselves.

And there's always the ability for Canadians to move from a province that doesn't include it to one that does with no major insurance outlay being required.
Actually Brusan, on further thought I think I will concede that point. There is surely an additional layer of accountability for a legislator vs HI CEO.

That said, this was not the best drug to use as an example to make your point. First off, people that suffer from CF are virtually all qualified for Medicare as a result of their diagnosis. Of course many have complementary private insurance as well, so their situations vary. Currently, only 40% of Medicare plans offer drug coverage for Trikafta, which is pretty damn deplorable in my view. The private insurance companies actually jumped ahead to negotiate agreements and included Trikafta on their formulary. Also, we need some perspective, as many in the US are covered by non-profit private health insurance plans, and therefore cannot be publicly traded, so no "shareholders". Of course, there are also for-profit publically traded companies as well, many of which ironically were ahead this round (not common I know).

Finally, if your post was intended to be a referendum on healthcare systems as I suspect it was, 25 nations successfully negotiated reimbursement agreements with Vertex for Trikafta or Kaftrio, as it is listed in the EU before the first Canadian province did the same. The healthcare systems of many of these countries, specifically EU member nations bear no real resemblance to what is currently in place in Canada. So maybe the question should be, how can Canada (Yes I know each Province has its own system in place) reform their system to mirror these other nations that deliver universal coverage and seem to do a better job in general, especially in this case of this life-saving CF treatment.

Old 10-18-2021, 05:25 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,523,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Actually Brusan, on further thought I think I will concede that point. There is surely an additional layer of accountability for a legislator vs HI CEO.

That said, this was not the best drug to use as an example to make your point. First off, people that suffer from CF are virtually all qualified for Medicare as a result of their diagnosis. Of course many have complementary private insurance as well, so their situations vary. Currently, only 40% of Medicare plans offer drug coverage for Trikafta, which is pretty damn deplorable in my view. The private insurance companies actually jumped ahead to negotiate agreements and included Trikafta on their formulary. Also, we need some perspective, as many in the US are covered by non-profit private health insurance plans, and therefore cannot be publicly traded, so no "shareholders". Of course, there are also for-profit publically traded companies as well, many of which ironically were ahead this round (not common I know).

Finally, if your post was intended to be a referendum on healthcare systems as I suspect it was, 25 nations successfully negotiated reimbursement agreements with Vertex for Trikafta or Kaftrio, as it is listed in the EU before the first Canadian province did the same. The healthcare systems of many of these countries, specifically EU member nations bear no real resemblance to what is currently in place in Canada. So maybe the question should be, how can Canada (Yes I know each Province has its own system in place) reform their system to mirror these other nations that deliver universal coverage and seem to do a better job in general, especially in this case of this life-saving CF treatment.
It's now my turn to concede on some of your points.

That of the drug Trikafta being "partially" covered in the U.S.

And that of Canada needing to improve it's coverage so as to become as efficient and "universal" in it's coverage of things like drugs, dental, etc..

This game of funding being adjusted up or down at the whim of the Federal and various provincial governments has to stop.

Finally, you are also correct about my post's intent.

Old 10-18-2021, 10:08 PM

158 posts, read 157,260 times
Default News for CA Indigenous and their supporters

Signatures are being collected for you

https://www.librti.com/page/view-video?id=1005

Old 10-18-2021, 10:56 PM

219 posts, read 162,022 times
Oh joy! The sovereign citizen groupies are here.

Old 10-19-2021, 09:24 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,823,828 times
Default Canadian abducted in Haiti

One Canadian and 16 Americans working for Christian charity kidnapped and held for ransom in Haiti.
https://cruxnow.com/church-in-the-am...r-a-long-time/

Old 10-19-2021, 04:42 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,106,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
One Canadian and 16 Americans working for Christian charity kidnapped and held for ransom in Haiti.
https://cruxnow.com/church-in-the-am...r-a-long-time/
Yeah, we've been getting news about that for the past few days, apparently there have been at least 630 kidnappings by gangs there since the beginning of 2021. They want a ransom of $1,000,000 per person.

Old 10-19-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yeah, we've been getting news about that for the past few days, apparently there have been at least 630 kidnappings by gangs there since the beginning of 2021. They want a ransom of $1,000,000 per person. .
Zoisite; this is nothing new for Haiti, my wife's cousin, her husband with two daughters were missionaries there throughout the 70's and 80's. They up with the nonsense of having to run into the hills for their lives numerous times. They had very loyal native people who would warn them ahead of time and some even had small shacks up in the hills they could use as refuge.

They eventually decided when their two girls were approaching puberty to get the heck out of there for good.

It has been well known for many decades the place is dangerous to foreigners and why these people throw the dice to go down there and attempt to spread the word of God is beyond me.

Our government is complicit in not making a declaration years ago about travel to Haiti being downright dangerous to Canadians.

Old 10-21-2021, 11:53 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,430,130 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VdoVuicNEs

Old 11-16-2021, 11:00 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,599,110 times
What a change from Sunday and Monday. Sunny and dry today.

I have never seen it rain so hard for so long here in Vancouver and as the links show, other parts of BC.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...torm-1.6250080

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...date-1.6250367

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXsBAviQu9g

Old 11-16-2021, 11:29 AM

We are watching the news of B.C.'s current predicament with shock. It almost appears the entire lower part of the province is under flood warnings. Any number of cities/towns are under evacuation order. I don't recall anything quite like this ever happening in the past.

The paradox of this being 180 degree opposite of the wildfire season in the norther parts is hard to wrap your head around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada