Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2021, 04:12 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,599,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
We are watching the news of B.C.'s current predicament with shock. It almost appears the entire lower part of the province is under flood warnings. Any number of cities/towns are under evacuation order. I don't recall anything quite like this ever happening in the past.

The paradox of this being 180 degree opposite of the wildfire season in the norther parts is hard to wrap your head around.
Friends in the Okanagan say there has been a rush and line-ups at grocery stores. Said there was no milk or fresh vegetables.

Hopefully repair work on the rail lines and roads can be done fairly quickly, otherwise maybe air lifts to get food in.

One woman has been killed. Hopefully no more.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...eath-1.6251323

Old 11-16-2021, 04:34 PM

88,701 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Oh, I've seen fire and I've seen rain...

Old 11-16-2021, 05:44 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,430,130 times
Man BC is really having a hard time this year.

Old 11-17-2021, 06:05 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,523,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Friends in the Okanagan say there has been a rush and line-ups at grocery stores. Said there was no milk or fresh vegetables.

Hopefully repair work on the rail lines and roads can be done fairly quickly, otherwise maybe air lifts to get food in.

One woman has been killed. Hopefully no more.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...eath-1.6251323
I just read a news article of a cameraman for one of the networks, while trying to get from his cottage at 100 Mile House, encountering a group of vehicles stranded on the highway. He was then subjected to a mudslide bouncing his truck around only to find when all the activity stopped - all the vehicles and the people that were standing beside them "gone, just gone".

The damage we're being shown by aerial survey is absolutely without compare to anything I've seen in my lifetime. They are now predicting supply chain effects akin to a wartime level due to major roads and rail lines being torn up and impassable.

While most natural disasters are dealt with primarily through provincial resources; this one will almost certainly demand a national response of federal stuff like military airlifting essential supplies etc.

I hope B.C.er's prevail and the rest of Canada again steps up as has been normal in the past.

Old 11-17-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I just read a news article of a cameraman for one of the networks, while trying to get from his cottage at 100 Mile House, encountering a group of vehicles stranded on the highway. He was then subjected to a mudslide bouncing his truck around only to find when all the activity stopped - all the vehicles and the people that were standing beside them "gone, just gone".

The damage we're being shown by aerial survey is absolutely without compare to anything I've seen in my lifetime. They are now predicting supply chain effects akin to a wartime level due to major roads and rail lines being torn up and impassable.

While most natural disasters are dealt with primarily through provincial resources; this one will almost certainly demand a national response of federal stuff like military airlifting essential supplies etc.

I hope B.C.er's prevail and the rest of Canada again steps up as has been normal in the past.
Supply issues are a concern, although I read today that they believe two of the highways will be open by Tuesday, but those are Highway 3 and 7. Twisting roads that are used mainly for the views when heading eastward. Not sure how large trucks can manoeuvre, especially in winter, but I'm not a truck driver so don't really know.

People in the Okanagan at least have been panic buying as the article I linked shows. So far here in Vancouver that hasn't happened.

I'm guessing the provincial government may ask for help as they assess fully what is needed.

We've had flooding, especially in the Fraser Valley before but nothing like this in my lifetime.

"'Get supply chains moving again'

Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Rob Fleming said in a media briefing on Tuesday that Highway 7 could have a clear path by late Tuesday and Highway 3 might be able to reopen by the end of the weekend, but he wouldn't even hint at when the other three highways could be repaired."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...utes-1.6251759

Old 11-17-2021, 10:37 AM

When returning to B.C. for a navy reunion in 2005, we dragged our large 5th wheel trailer (20,000GVW) through B.C. using Highway #3 and it was a major PITA, sometimes requiring shifting down from 10th to 3rd gear. A guy driving a Coka Cola delivery rig came on the CB asking me what the heck was I thinking using that road stating he had no choice to be there whereas I obviously had a choice.

My only excuse was the unparalleled scenery seducing us into throwing the dice.

In retrospect, considering only the supply chain, B.C., has a distinct advantage with a major salt water port on it's coastline.

I suspect B.C. will handle this setback with relative calm and prevail regardless.

My only fear is the loss of life uncounted as yet.

Old 11-17-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
When returning to B.C. for a navy reunion in 2005, we dragged our large 5th wheel trailer (20,000GVW) through B.C. using Highway #3 and it was a major PITA, sometimes requiring shifting down from 10th to 3rd gear. A guy driving a Coka Cola delivery rig came on the CB asking me what the heck was I thinking using that road stating he had no choice to be there whereas I obviously had a choice.

My only excuse was the unparalleled scenery seducing us into throwing the dice.

In retrospect, considering only the supply chain, B.C., has a distinct advantage with a major salt water port on it's coastline.

I suspect B.C. will handle this setback with relative calm and prevail regardless.

My only fear is the loss of life uncounted as yet.
I can't imagine driving a large 5th wheel on that highway. Did you use it going both ways?

The loop, up the hill at Osoyoos is a doozy.

Old 11-17-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I can't imagine driving a large 5th wheel on that highway. Did you use it going both ways?

The loop, up the hill at Osoyoos is a doozy.
Nosiree! Took the TransCan back. I have a photo taken of our rig in an RV park near Creston I believe, where you can see the mountains either side with the park in a very narrow valley. I've got that one on a wall in my shop. It gets a lot of comments.

Truth be told; I had already travelled that road before a few times as my girl friend while in the RCN was a student nurse at St. Joseph's in Vic. from Natal B.C. - a town no longer in existence. That's how old I am!

One of those trips was in a then spanking new MGB after I'd moved back to Ontario after leaving the navy and that road was manna from heaven for that car. Alas - the relationship faltered through the handicap of distance.

My thoughts are for all folks suffering a hardship due to this unforeseen catastrophe and hope it's very temporary in nature.

Old 11-17-2021, 02:54 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,823,828 times
Quote:
Supply issues are a concern, although I read today that they believe two of the highways will be open by Tuesday, but those are Highway 3 and 7. Twisting roads that are used mainly for the views when heading eastward. Not sure how large trucks can manoeuvre, especially in winter, but I'm not a truck driver so don't really know.

People in the Okanagan at least have been panic buying as the article I linked shows. So far here in Vancouver that hasn't happened.

I'm guessing the provincial government may ask for help as they assess fully what is needed.

We've had flooding, especially in the Fraser Valley before but nothing like this in my lifetime.

"'Get supply chains moving again'

Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Rob Fleming said in a media briefing on Tuesday that Highway 7 could have a clear path by late Tuesday and Highway 3 might be able to reopen by the end of the weekend, but he wouldn't even hint at when the other three highways could be repaired."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...utes-1.6251759
Did the rain occur in the same places the wildfires happened?

Old 11-22-2021, 09:30 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,823,828 times
I didn’t know rail service to BC was cut.
https://www.trains.com/trn/news-revi...ed-by-midweek/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada