Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2022, 06:53 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times

Advertisements

Who remembers the “Gimli Glider”?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbVG_6yKLM8

Old 04-27-2022, 11:14 AM

I’m watching an episode of “Jeopardy!” A contestant from Toronto correctly guessed that Delaware was the first state to ratify the United States Constitution.

Old 04-27-2022, 12:44 PM

2,368 posts, read 1,054,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
I’m watching an episode of “Jeopardy!” A contestant from Toronto correctly guessed that Delaware was the first state to ratify the United States Constitution.
Yeah, she's good but she goofed up on an easy one...which TV show had JR Ewing ....
she answered "Dynasty" ...correct answer, "Dallas"...anyone over 50 would know...
....she's only 23, those shows were on before she was born.

Old 04-27-2022, 12:49 PM

2,389 posts, read 1,560,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
Yeah, she's good but she goofed up on an easy one...which TV show had JR Ewing ....
she answered "Dynasty" ...correct answer, "Dallas"...anyone over 50 would know...
....she's only 23, those shows were on before she was born.
some things we 50 + people take for granted

Old 04-28-2022, 11:17 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Who remembers the “Gimli Glider”?
I remember it well. An instance of lassitude by a fueling agent that has been common in other fields of endeavour since "going metric" but becomes dangerously critical when it happens with something like an airliner.

My business in maintaining and installing high speed packaging machinery of a type predominantly sourced from Germany included having to make sure that installation and on-going maintenance instructions had not somehow been compromised, confusing imperial and metric, by some engineer in a manufacturing location purchasing the equipment.

You would find it hard to believe that right up until my retirement in 04, these transitional mistakes were still being made.

Old 04-28-2022, 01:54 PM

In other news:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sing-name.html

To be even handed with this type of tempest, I sense it will not bother her in the slightest as she herself has identified with that term. If it was NBC's intent to pander to a certain demographic or it simply an editorial blunder; the fact remains that we will all be very proud of her and happy for her without a second's thought towards her sexual orientation.

Brother, these are strange times indeed whereupon we are confronted with the so unnecessary but now prevalent spot-lighting and also being so quick to bristle at it.

Old 04-28-2022, 06:17 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
In other news:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sing-name.html

To be even handed with this type of tempest, I sense it will not bother her in the slightest as she herself has identified with that term. If it was NBC's intent to pander to a certain demographic or it simply an editorial blunder; the fact remains that we will all be very proud of her and happy for her without a second's thought towards her sexual orientation.

Brother, these are strange times indeed whereupon we are confronted with the so unnecessary but now prevalent spot-lighting and also being so quick to bristle at it.
I reckon it was one single journalist who happens to be anti-LGBTQ doing the tweet but nevertheless it was a stupid and reckless mistake, perhaps not so much as displaying that particular journalist's true feelings towards the LGBTQ community but misusing a national network's official Twitter account to do so.

Old 04-28-2022, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I remember it well. An instance of lassitude by a fueling agent that has been common in other fields of endeavour since "going metric" but becomes dangerously critical when it happens with something like an airliner.

My business in maintaining and installing high speed packaging machinery of a type predominantly sourced from Germany included having to make sure that installation and on-going maintenance instructions had not somehow been compromised, confusing imperial and metric, by some engineer in a manufacturing location purchasing the equipment.

You would find it hard to believe that right up until my retirement in 04, these transitional mistakes were still being made.
“Gimli Glider” sounds like a good name for a cocktail - made with Crown Royal, of course, since it’s distilled there.

Old 04-28-2022, 07:09 PM

Quote:
“Gimli Glider” sounds like a good name for a cocktail - made with Crown Royal, of course, since it’s distilled there.
There was a moment of panic when two boys riding bicycles saw the thing heading in for a landing and immediately turned around and tried to outrun it back the way they had come instead of going right angles into the grass to the sides of the old runway.

One news excerpt interview of the pilot related him saying that was the only time he was completely in panic mode over there being nothing he could do to slow the plane further.

Old 04-29-2022, 07:47 AM

2,389 posts, read 1,560,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I reckon it was one single journalist who happens to be anti-LGBTQ doing the tweet but nevertheless it was a stupid and reckless mistake, perhaps not so much as displaying that particular journalist's true feelings towards the LGBTQ community but misusing a national network's official Twitter account to do so.
i thinks she is Canadian, if so, my Canadian insecurity is more offended that her nationality is not being mentioned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada