Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2022, 04:54 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
No harm done. Yeah, that video was a hoax that was posted online a year ago and I guess somebody has revived it. I did a bit of digging and discovered that the people who posted that hoax did the same thing at that time to 4 other Hollywood celebrities as well and that did cause problems for some of those celebrities and their families. These days now whenever I see something that seems a bit sketchy news about anything I always look online for verification to see if several other reliable media are announcing the same thing.

That's what I did. A quick "Michael J. Fox died" brought up nothing. If that was real news, I would have gotten thousands of hits immediately.

Old 07-29-2022, 10:53 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scc...sion-1.6535127

Not wearing condom can be sexual assault. Supreme Court rules.

Old 08-02-2022, 05:55 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Long article…
Canada’s blood plasma collection to be sold off to foreign pharma giant

Quote:
According to sources familiar with developments at Canadian Blood Services, the agency is set to sign a contract soon with Grifols, the world’s largest plasma producer that made $807 million in profits in 2020.
Quote:
Most plasma in Canada is currently collected by the publicly-funded agency without paying donors, but the deal would dramatically change that—allowing Grifols to set up private clinics to collect plasma, process it, and sell it back to Canadian Blood Services at a profit.
Quote:
While the Canadian Blood Services has a mandate to make the country self-sufficient in plasma collection, the deal isn’t expected to prevent Grifols from exporting Canadian plasma.

Old 08-03-2022, 07:20 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Article dated June 28: The biggest divide in Canadian politics? Men vs. Women

Quote:
Among Canadian men, EKOS currently measures a virtual tie in voting intentions with the Conservatives at 37 per cent and Liberals at 35 per cent nationally. However, among women, Liberal support is double that the CPC, with 47 per cent for the Liberals and only 23 per cent for the Conservatives.
Quote:
Yet, it is worth stressing that we have seen similar trends, albeit of lesser amplitude, in voting intentions in Canada: In the 2018 Ontario election, men supported Doug Ford’s PC in much greater numbers than women; The same could be said about the 2018 Quebec election, when the right-of-centre CAQ had higher support from men than women. Ditto Jason Kenney’s UCP in the 2019 Alberta election. South of the border, polls clearly show Democratic candidate Joe Biden leading by comfortable margins among American women, whereas American men are far more divided between Biden and President Trump.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:16 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
From the authors of the article "Once again we must insist: This is purely a politics-fiction exercise and these numbers are bound to change over time. Nevertheless, such thought-experiments (Gedankenexperiment) can serve as useful exercises of imagination to better understand the hows and the what-ifs."

That article is from only 2 years ago and I think the study doesn't go far enough back in time for them to understand the hows and what-ifs but it confirms something for me that I've been suspecting/observing for three or four decades. That is that women in Canada have changed the way they vote today compared to way they voted 70 and 50 and 30 years ago.

There was a time for several decades when women in Canada allowed their votes to be influenced by their husbands, fathers or other male family members, even male employers. More women than not voted the way their men-folk voted without questioning if it was the right thing for them or if it reflected the way they truly felt about candidates and political parties. Then women began changing the way they voted without consideration of the influence of their male family members starting around the mid-1960's and onward. I'm glad to see now that women are giving a lot more autonomous thought to the matter and are voting independently of their male family members.

Old 08-06-2022, 09:46 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,783,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
From the authors of the article "Once again we must insist: This is purely a politics-fiction exercise and these numbers are bound to change over time. Nevertheless, such thought-experiments (Gedankenexperiment) can serve as useful exercises of imagination to better understand the hows and the what-ifs."

That article is from only 2 years ago and I think the study doesn't go far enough back in time for them to understand the hows and what-ifs but it confirms something for me that I've been suspecting/observing for three or four decades. That is that women in Canada have changed the way they vote today compared to way they voted 70 and 50 and 30 years ago.

There was a time for several decades when women in Canada allowed their votes to be influenced by their husbands, fathers or other male family members, even male employers. More women than not voted the way their men-folk voted without questioning if it was the right thing for them or if it reflected the way they truly felt about candidates and political parties. Then women began changing the way they voted without consideration of the influence of their male family members starting around the mid-1960's and onward. I'm glad to see now that women are giving a lot more autonomous thought to the matter and are voting independently of their male family members.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DI0Z2x_xZE

Old 08-06-2022, 09:47 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,783,899 times
Has the church vandalism fever ended?
https://www.catholicworldreport.com/...watchdog-says/

Old 08-07-2022, 07:54 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Has the church vandalism fever ended?
https://www.catholicworldreport.com/...watchdog-says/
Have not heard of any in almost a year.

Old 08-12-2022, 05:00 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Doug Ford Swallows ... a live Bee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niKv0_GPzF0

Old 08-12-2022, 09:52 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Doug Ford Swallows ... a live Bee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niKv0_GPzF0
Good grief! The poor guy! How embarrassing.

At least he had a sense of humour about it and managed to save face with funny comments. Made me laugh at him laughing at himself.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada