Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-01-2022, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Reputation: 11937

Advertisements

Will it be built?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/cana...rain-1.6051975

https://www.transpod.com/press-relea...jet-unveiling/

 
Old 09-01-2022, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Canada
14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Reputation: 34866
I think it will probably be built but not be ready for public transport before 30 years goes by.

.
 
Old 09-01-2022, 08:16 PM
 
5,428 posts, read 3,493,078 times
Reputation: 5031
I hope it does get built, then again I’ll remain sceptical until there’s at least something tangible. Far too many companies promise grandiose projects, but then end up under delivering. It’s possible that the whole venture gets canceled or scaled back dramatically.
 
Old 09-01-2022, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Toronto
15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Reputation: 5202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I hope it does get built, then again I’ll remain sceptical until there’s at least something tangible. Far too many companies promise grandiose projects, but then end up under delivering. It’s possible that the whole venture gets canceled or scaled back dramatically.
Yup more often than not nada happens. Let me qualify further, far more often than not, these things don't materialize. I remember projects a decade ago, two decades ago that never happened. Google search them, and the only thing you see is the original idea that never took off. No further updates. Swallowed by a black hole.

Hey, I hope it happens. Would be cool and it seems we've been sorta stuck technologically with the same forms of transportation. More modern and sophisticated but no game changer. In Canada, we haven't even adopted high speed rail that other countries have been using for decades let alone hyper loop technology.

So i'm an optimist. I hope it happens. I want it to happen. I send all my positive vibes into the universe that it shall happen.

but it won't
 
Old 09-02-2022, 06:37 AM
 
22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Reputation: 16962
We're still using wooden ties/sleepers for heaven's sake! Standing alongside any major rail line and watching the rise and fall of the rails as the heavier cars go by is frightening.

The Turbo train was a bitter lesson learned that these systems require a whole lot of upgraded support infrastructure that without Governmental subsidies just isn't going to get done. Would it be expected to be built on current rail corridors? Would that mean major interference with current rail systems while this gets up and running or would it be necessary to build entirely new routes while leaving the current ones unrestricted delivering freight?

I'm very skeptical that the associated land expropriation for something like this will ever get approval.
 
Old 09-02-2022, 06:51 AM
 
2,361 posts, read 1,059,103 times
Reputation: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
We're still using wooden ties/sleepers for heaven's sake! Standing alongside any major rail line and watching the rise and fall of the rails as the heavier cars go by is frightening.

The Turbo train was a bitter lesson learned that these systems require a whole lot of upgraded support infrastructure that without Governmental subsidies just isn't going to get done. Would it be expected to be built on current rail corridors? Would that mean major interference with current rail systems while this gets up and running or would it be necessary to build entirely new routes while leaving the current ones unrestricted delivering freight?

I'm very skeptical that the associated land expropriation for something like this will ever get approval.
And to top it off ....those rail lines ...."rail corridors" ...can get blockaded
at any time by First Nations...like in february 2020...
IIRC..a small section Toronto to Montreal rail line is on Mohawk territory....
I agree with you ...need to build a new dedicated high speed line
and make sure it is not on First Nations land.

I too am very skeptical that it ever gets built...very costly and not enough demand.
 
Old 09-02-2022, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Canada
7,677 posts, read 5,524,010 times
Reputation: 8817
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
We're still using wooden ties/sleepers for heaven's sake! Standing alongside any major rail line and watching the rise and fall of the rails as the heavier cars go by is frightening.

The Turbo train was a bitter lesson learned that these systems require a whole lot of upgraded support infrastructure that without Governmental subsidies just isn't going to get done. Would it be expected to be built on current rail corridors? Would that mean major interference with current rail systems while this gets up and running or would it be necessary to build entirely new routes while leaving the current ones unrestricted delivering freight?

I'm very skeptical that the associated land expropriation for something like this will ever get approval.
I was curious about whether the system would block wildlife and roadways so spent a little time at the irritatingly badly-designed website.

Anyway, these two photos were reassuring: https://www.transpod.com/studies/

The corridor would run above ground, on pillars. It could run beside highways, railway tracks, power lines or virtually anywhere there is room for a row of pillars. In rural areas it probably wouldn’t take up any land currently being used for farming and it certainly wouldn’t interfere with wildlife. Snow wouldn’t be a problem as it would mostly fall to the ground or be blown there.

The system would run on cushions of air with magnets rather than along electrified rails.

Last edited by cdnirene; 09-02-2022 at 07:34 AM..
 
Old 09-02-2022, 09:40 AM
 
22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Reputation: 16962
I did a little of the same googling about this and noticed they do not give a lot of details but; in the pic of it standing in the median of a highway they fail to mention that along with all of those pillars supporting it would also come the required protections from vehicles hitting those things head on.

That would be convenient if they could use a part of highway designated corridors as well as rail corridors.
 
Old 09-04-2022, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Reputation: 11937
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I did a little of the same googling about this and noticed they do not give a lot of details but; in the pic of it standing in the median of a highway they fail to mention that along with all of those pillars supporting it would also come the required protections from vehicles hitting those things head on.

That would be convenient if they could use a part of highway designated corridors as well as rail corridors.
Skytrain in Metro Vancouver is built on pillars. They are very solid and haven't heard of any issues. They are similar to what an onramp to a freeway is supported by.

https://tinyurl.com/4x3cn8b6

Parts of Skytrain is on medians, or even directly above the road.

https://tinyurl.com/5n7aaz3s
 
Old 09-07-2022, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,677 posts, read 5,524,010 times
Reputation: 8817
Freeland does not deny rumour she's eyeing top NATO role (Secretary General)

The odds of her getting a consensus vote are slim though.

Quote:
Canada will already be taking on a larger role with NATO in short order with the imminent nomination of Canadian diplomat and veteran bureaucrat Wendy Gilmour to one of eight assistant secretary general jobs.
Quote:
“So other countries will say, well you (Canada) just got a senior appointment, so we’re not going to give you this one,” he added about the secretary general role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top