Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-26-2022, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Canada
7,682 posts, read 5,532,541 times
Reputation: 8822

Advertisements

Nova Scotia touted its huge ‘green’ energy plant. Turns out it’s powered by coal

Quote:
The ‘green’ hydrogen produced to deliver ammonia to Europe will be partly powered by the fossil fuel in the beginning, a joint investigation found
Quote:
In a 20 September release, Nova Scotia premier Tim Houston’s office said a separate set of leases would deliver “5 gigawatts of offshore wind energy by 2030 to support [the province’s] budding green hydrogen industry”. But that’s just the deadline for offering leases to wind farm developers, with actual production expected around 2038, a provincial spokesperson later clarified. The 5 gigawatts, she added, is a target, not a firm commitment.

 
Old 10-31-2022, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,682 posts, read 5,532,541 times
Reputation: 8822
https://twitter.com/TheLawofWork/sta...31769521938433
There you have it folks, Ontario Conservatives are the first Canadian government to use the Notwithstanding clause to override Constitutionally protected Labour Rights.

Quite a day in Canadian Labour law and Constitutional history.
 
Old 11-01-2022, 08:28 AM
 
22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Reputation: 16962
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
https://twitter.com/TheLawofWork/sta...31769521938433
There you have it folks, Ontario Conservatives are the first Canadian government to use the Notwithstanding clause to override Constitutionally protected Labour Rights.

Quite a day in Canadian Labour law and Constitutional history.
You'll get no surprise from this quarter! Doug Ford is just the latest example of what we have to look forward to if we don't encourage better representation. There's no way that's going to happen if we continue to make of the electoral process the infantile "cat-calling across the rink" spectacle it's now become.

I'm watching the inquiry into the imposition of the Emergency Measures Act while hearing nothing but crickets from those tools on that side of the aisle that had previously touted the convoy protest as some heroic stand for all of our rights and nothing more than 'freedom of expression' in action.

They've been strangely silent the last few days.

Poliviere and Scheer, for just two, who were quick to get into photo ops with those protest leaders are now hiding under the boxwoods hoping this all goes away with the knowledge garnered from all security orgs. they actually posed a credible threat just hopefully being forgotten by the short attention spanned electorate.

Teachers, nurses, doctors, all of them having justifiable grievances, not just in Ontario but across the entire country, because all forms of government have taken to thinking the monies gathered through taxation is somehow THEIRS to do with as they please, instead of providing those things we agreed upon democratically as "necessities" in a civilized country.

Another rant seen to, I'm off out to my shop now to make small pieces of metal out of bigger pieces instead of marching on Nathan Phillips Square or Queen's Park.
 
Old 11-01-2022, 10:31 AM
 
3,464 posts, read 2,791,738 times
Reputation: 4331
If Doug Ford is such a bad guy, why hasn’t he been defeated for re-election? Or the Conservative Party trounced in Ontario elections?
 
Old 11-02-2022, 07:25 AM
 
22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Reputation: 16962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
If Doug Ford is such a bad guy, why hasn’t he been defeated for re-election? Or the Conservative Party trounced in Ontario elections?
See first para of my post.
 
Old 11-03-2022, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Toronto
15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Reputation: 5202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
If Doug Ford is such a bad guy, why hasn’t he been defeated for re-election? Or the Conservative Party trounced in Ontario elections?
In the last election, the Liberals and NDP shared about the same level of the popular vote with 1.1 million voters each. The Conservatives got 1.9 million in the popular vote. Enough to give them a majority mandate.

So, there are more Ontarians voting on the left, but of course with 2 on the left and 1 on the right and the vote split on the left - this is the result.

I wish the NDP and Liberals come to realize after two consecutive Conservative majority governments in Ontario, that this fracture is untenable. I'd rather them unify and now is the perfect time. They both have interim leaders after the last two weak leaders resigned. Otherwise, I'm not seeing anything changing in 2026 if Ford goes at it again. Its not so much Ontarians love Doug Ford, it is that there has been weak leadership opponents and that said opposition is fractured.

Even nationally, what is the point of a fractured NDP/Liberal dynamic. Singh is basically Trudeau's poodle propping up his minority government at every turn. Its laughable to hear him challenge Trudeau in the H.O.C, - seriously you are joined at the hip and everyone knows it so just unite and stop this nonsense.
 
Old 11-04-2022, 07:31 AM
 
22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Reputation: 16962
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
In the last election, the Liberals and NDP shared about the same level of the popular vote with 1.1 million voters each. The Conservatives got 1.9 million in the popular vote. Enough to give them a majority mandate.

So, there are more Ontarians voting on the left, but of course with 2 on the left and 1 on the right and the vote split on the left - this is the result.

I wish the NDP and Liberals come to realize after two consecutive Conservative majority governments in Ontario, that this fracture is untenable. I'd rather them unify and now is the perfect time. They both have interim leaders after the last two weak leaders resigned. Otherwise, I'm not seeing anything changing in 2026 if Ford goes at it again. Its not so much Ontarians love Doug Ford, it is that there has been weak leadership opponents and that said opposition is fractured.

Even nationally, what is the point of a fractured NDP/Liberal dynamic. Singh is basically Trudeau's poodle propping up his minority government at every turn. Its laughable to hear him challenge Trudeau in the H.O.C, - seriously you are joined at the hip and everyone knows it so just unite and stop this nonsense.
Your explicitly expressed frustration with the current Canadian political scene is shared by many of us.
 
Old 11-04-2022, 10:08 AM
 
Location: ottawa, ontario, canada
2,401 posts, read 1,571,655 times
Reputation: 3112
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Your explicitly expressed frustration with the current Canadian political scene is shared by many of us.
i will take proportional representation for 100
 
Old 11-07-2022, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,682 posts, read 5,532,541 times
Reputation: 8822
Democracy in North America: Significant segments in Canada, U.S. open to authoritarian leadership

Results of a cross-border study from the non-profit Angus Reid Institute:
Quote:
Overall, the vast majority in Canada – 86% – say a democratic political system is a good way to govern, while 6% disagree, and 8% are not sure. In the United States, just two thirds (64%) say the same of democracy while one-in-five (19%) say this is a bad form of government, and 17% are unsure.

When it comes to the idea of authoritarian leadership – having a strong leader who does not bother with parliament (congress in the U.S.) or elections – 16% in Canada say this would be good or great, while 12%, are unsure. In the U.S., 15% are unsure and 23% are enthusiastic about the idea of strong leader who does not bother with elections. This adds up to 27% of Canadians and 38% of Americans who do not reject the idea of authoritarianism for their country.
 
Old 11-07-2022, 08:34 PM
 
5,428 posts, read 3,499,914 times
Reputation: 5031
That’s depressing to say the least. It does however show that there is going growing discontent with the way political parties have been handling issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top