Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2023, 04:12 PM
pdw

2,692 posts, read 3,109,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Wasn't Indira Gandhi Congress though? I'm not making excuses for Modi - especially his treatment of the Muslims in India, but its the same thing with Saudi Arabia, if we engage in hardline diplomacy with them - I don't think it will do anything to advance Human rights. It is best done privately behind closed doors, not blasting it on what was it Twitter Freeland style.

Same thing with Xi Xinping. My understanding of their tense exchange was that they were engaged in closed door discussion and somehow that conversation was leaked to the press. I could see why Xi would be peeved- if you can't trust that some things are private between two leaders the connection is broken. Not sure how this is helpful to Canada.
Yeah you’re right it’s not a good look that her grandson is leader now, and I get why it’s seen as sort of a dynastic party with the continuing connections to her. Still, things seemed so much more optimistic for India in the early 2000s-early ‘10s. Modi really disturbs me.

I know playing hardball doesn’t work either, but at the very least I wouldn’t let India grow into a position to influence our policy choices with a guy like Modi in power and for China I think we need to decouple our economies to the point we aren’t reliant on them as trading partners.

Old 09-13-2023, 04:44 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,918,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Yeah you’re right it’s not a good look that her grandson is leader now, and I get why it’s seen as sort of a dynastic party with the continuing connections to her. Still, things seemed so much more optimistic for India in the early 2000s-early ‘10s. Modi really disturbs me.

I know playing hardball doesn’t work either, but at the very least I wouldn’t let India grow into a position to influence our policy choices with a guy like Modi in power and for China I think we need to decouple our economies to the point we aren’t reliant on them as trading partners.
I certainly miss Manmohan Singh. China at least for now is a country that would be hard to live without. If we are complaining now bout high cost of goods - imagine without made in China products. For the time anyway, nobody can replace their mass manufacturing heft at such price points.

Somewhere betwixt and between idealism and realism I guess is where a country like Canada needs to navigate.

Old 09-14-2023, 07:57 AM

7,684 posts, read 5,549,324 times
*sigh* Manitoba’s Conservative premier gave a campaign speech yesterday, articulating a goal to increase Manitoba’s population by 39% in the next 7 years. She made no mention where the jobs, health care, housing or money for infrastructure for these people will come from. Instead she babbled on about cutting taxes even more.

*shaking my head*

Old 09-14-2023, 11:03 AM
pdw

2,692 posts, read 3,109,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I certainly miss Manmohan Singh. China at least for now is a country that would be hard to live without. If we are complaining now bout high cost of goods - imagine without made in China products. For the time anyway, nobody can replace their mass manufacturing heft at such price points.

Somewhere betwixt and between idealism and realism I guess is where a country like Canada needs to navigate.
Biden is moving mountains to decouple the US economy from China. I think we should follow their lead. They are becoming increasingly aggressive and are probably relying on countries like Canada to continue trading with them if they are going to try and invade Taiwan. If they can diversify their own trading partners, so should we away from them I think. It’s either we do it now or wish we had done it 10 years from now.

Old 09-14-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Biden is moving mountains to decouple the US economy from China. I think we should follow their lead. They are becoming increasingly aggressive and are probably relying on countries like Canada to continue trading with them if they are going to try and invade Taiwan. If they can diversify their own trading partners, so should we away from them I think. It’s either we do it now or wish we had done it 10 years from now.
As a result of the U.S.-China trade war, some manufacturing has shifted from China to India and Vietnam, India of course is also a powerhouse as far as drugs are concerned.

We have been trying to diversify. We have a free trade agreements with the EU and with CPTPP. UK joined CPTPP this year and that will hopefully attract other countries. We also became a strategic partner of ASEAN this month and hope to finalize a free trade agreement with ASEAN next year.

Quote:
ASEAN is Canada’s fourth-largest trading partner globally and second-largest trading partner in the Indo-Pacific in terms of merchandise trade. With a combined GDP of almost $5 trillion and a population of more than 670 million in 2022, ASEAN represents the world’s fifth-largest economy and third-most populous consumer market.
https://www.canada.ca/en/global-affa...ministers.html

(Note: Some countries in ASEAN are also in CPTPP)

Old 09-15-2023, 01:51 PM

India trade mission put off, trade minister’s office says amid strained relations

Quote:
Ng was scheduled to lead a five-day “Team Canada” trade mission to Mumbai with leaders from Canadian businesses and provinces, leaving on Oct. 9. The trade mission, the first in Asia under Canada’s Indo-Pacific strategy, was focused on boosting Canadian clean-technology companies as a way to help meet India’s need for renewable energy.

The Trade Commissioner Service says the trip would’ve also sought to increase trade in sectors such as automotive, agriculture and value-added food, digital technology, infrastructure and life sciences. It would’ve also involved networking with Indian business leaders, briefings from senior officials, and key industry players and roundtables with local industry and experts.
Quote:
Meanwhile, Ottawa has refused to provide any detailed explanation of why it paused trade talks with India, a move that blindsided business leaders and provinces.
Obviously something is going on behind the scenes.

Old 09-17-2023, 01:26 PM

Bear rescued from (Niagara Falls) Marineland 'didn't understand trees.' Finds new home at wildlife sanctuary

Quote:
At first, Sasha was quiet and unsure, said Jan Kingshott, Aspen Valley's director of animal welfare. "He didn't understand trees, dirt, mud or snow," she said. "It took a while for him to get used to the sound of birds and wolves howling."

But after his winter hibernation, Sasha's confidence grew and he began sharing an area with another bear named Clover. "He loves people and is a ham," Kingshott said. "He adores his friend Clover and spends a lot of time in the pond. He's everything a bear should be."

Old 09-17-2023, 03:49 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,918,727 times
Quote:
Go to any Dollar tree or walmart in the U.S and look under almost any product and what do you see 'made in china

I'm not sure which mountains tbh. Americans, Canadians and the west are used to cheap Chinese made goods. Sure we could decouple from them but I don't think most people would be happy paying more for goods, especially in this day and age. I think even if other countries were to be able to pick up the slack, Chinese goods would probably just make way to those countries - re-labelled and sent to the west and other global markets. So in some areas yes, some decoupling is occurring but overall trade with China is still very high. The U.S imports more from China than any other country. Canada imports more from China than any other country than the U.S.

In terms of Taiwan, there is a lot of posturing going on but not sure China will actually go ahead with it. The majority of the worlds semiconductors come from Taiwan which is a big reason the U.S is so keen to protect it. China knows invading Taiwan will be essentially a war with the U.S which would have disastrous global consequences. It would make the Russian/Ukrainian war small in comparison. Could happen - I just don't think its likely.
'

Old 09-18-2023, 01:38 PM

I had wondered if this was why trade talks were paused…

Canadian authorities have intelligence that India was behind slaying of Sikh leader in B.C.: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...ehind-slaying/

Quote:
The Canadian government has privately ruled out severing diplomatic relations with New Delhi but is considering measures to respond to what it considers a serious violation of Canadian sovereignty, sources say.
Quote:
The Nijjar killing was raised in tense talks between Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and the Indian Prime Minister on the sidelines of the Sept. 9-10 Group of 20 summit in New Delhi.
Edited to add another source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tru...jjar-1.6970498

Old 09-18-2023, 03:42 PM

1,259 posts, read 521,265 times
Sighh.....I wish Indians would leave thier politics and religious conflicts out of Canada. Is that too much to ask??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada