Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 04:06 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I can see why you would think that, but it's not us against them. I'm trying to protect the West Coast of CANADA, for all Canadians.
Nat; I know you feel very strongly about this but along with your following post expressing frustration at getting the message out, it cannot stall at this juncture.

Finding a way to galvanize ALL of Canada is the mission now. Leaving it to Alberta and B.C. to shout at each other across the line isn't getting it done.

A presentation encompassing all of the issues and risks mentioned in this very thread should be the next movie to be presented at the Monaco film awards for all to see. Bet the U.N. would even get involved.

Oh, oh.....what have I done?

Old 03-26-2018, 05:22 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Nat; I know you feel very strongly about this but along with your following post expressing frustration at getting the message out, it cannot stall at this juncture.

Finding a way to galvanize ALL of Canada is the mission now. Leaving it to Alberta and B.C. to shout at each other across the line isn't getting it done.

A presentation encompassing all of the issues and risks mentioned in this very thread should be the next movie to be presented at the Monaco film awards for all to see. Bet the U.N. would even get involved.

Oh, oh.....what have I done?
Cannes: 2019

BruSan, the brilliant new filmmaker has just peddled up on his bicycle, with his newly patented non-greased chain. Impressive.

His blockbuster hit " Slicko " is said to have caused controversy with the filmmaker Michael Moore.

The film documents the life of a lone, but handsome wolf , Nat Bitumen. A protector of the WEST!

We will have to wait and see how the audience reacts to this 6 hour epic drama, compared to BruSan's other great works such as Curmudgeon Comes Calling.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:48 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Not Mexicans but Somali's yes through Emerson.
I don’t think that’s much of a concern. The refugee claim numbers are low. Some statistics:

Quote:
There were 1,314 claims made in Manitoba between Jan. 1, 2010 and Dec. 31, 2017. Of that total, 691 claims were successful, 527 were not, while 43 were abandoned and 53 were withdrawn.
Somalia represented 351 of the total claims.

Quote:
In Manitoba, the IRB (Immigration and Refugee Board) heard 355 claims in 2017, up from 143 the previous year, from people who claimed asylum at the Winnipeg airport, a police station near Emerson or a federal office within the province.
The acceptance rate in 2017 was 60% compared to 55% in 2016.

Top 5 countries making claims in 2017:

Somalia - 83
Djibouti - 65
Ghana - 35
Eritrea - 32
Nigeria - 27

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...477538293.html

Old 03-26-2018, 05:58 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:

BruSan, the brilliant new filmmaker has just peddled up on his bicycle, with his newly patented non-greased chain. Impressive.

His blockbuster hit " Slicko " is said to have caused controversy with the filmmaker Michael Moore.

The film documents the life of a lone, but handsome wolf , Nat Bitumen. A protector of the WEST!

We will have to wait and see how the audience reacts to this 6 hour epic drama, compared to BruSan's other great works such as Curmudgeon Comes Calling.

Dang Nat; you've got a talent for this.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:03 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:

Awesome!

Old 03-26-2018, 07:54 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
LOL. So much wit and imagination. I love you guys.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I read further and while dilbit hasn't been transported for 60 years (thanks for the clarification), I have read information that Kinder Morgan is already using the existing Trans Mountain Pipeline to transport diluted bitumen. Is this incorrect?

https://www.wildernesscommittee.org/...eline_proposal
It is incorrect. While the majority of the information in that website was correct they are incorrect about dilbit presently being piped. There are no pipelines completed yet in Canada that can carry dilbit and it's not possible to pipe undiluted bitumen because bitumen on its own is hard asphalt, it's not in a liquid form, and cannot be pushed through pipes. The pipes that are required to transport dilbit need to be of much sturdier and larger construction than the pipes that carry liquid crude oil or other types of liquid petroleum products.

Dilbit is a very heavy sandy sludge that requires a much, much higher PSI pressure to push it at high speed through big pipes and it must be kept circulating at all times (even when in storage) to stay constantly mixed and must be maintained at a very high temperature at all times so that it can't get chilled and settle and 'coagulate'. So no, to the best of my knowledge it's not yet possible for either bitumen or dilbit to have ever been moved in pipes in Canada because there are no completed specialized pipes to accommodate it. The KM pipeline in question and being objected to is still under construction and nearing completion. To date, bitumen in it's more solid form (undiluted) has always been transported by trains and trucks and bitumen transported that way is not required be kept very hot like dilbit is.

Bitumen requires a very specialized type of refinery that is different from the refineries that are used for crude oil and other liquid petroleum products and it requires a tremendous amount of boiling hot water in the refining process to help melt and dilute it. That water cannot be recycled or reused again for anything else, it is toxic with chemicals and must be disposed of as toxic waste. Presumably in the earth.

If memory serves me correctly Canada has 2 bitumen refineries in Alberta only (1 operational and 1 still under construction), there are none anywhere else in Canada. Canada has other kinds of oil refineries across the country, I believe it is 22 in Canada that are presently operational (please don't quote me on that because the numbers may have changed in the past 5 years), but they are not capable of refining bitumen. USA has (or had) 212 oil refineries operational across the USA (the majority being in Louisiana, Texas and California) and of those 212 only 4 of them are bitumen refineries, those 4 are 1 located in Louisiana and 3 located in Texas where they have access to sea water from the Gulf of Mexico. I have no idea what the 4 American bitumen refineries do with all their toxic waste water. And I know nothing about bitumen refineries in any other countries.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:32 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I don’t think that’s much of a concern. The refugee claim numbers are low. Some statistics:

Somalia represented 351 of the total claims.

The acceptance rate in 2017 was 60% compared to 55% in 2016.

Top 5 countries making claims in 2017:

Somalia - 83
Djibouti - 65
Ghana - 35
Eritrea - 32
Nigeria - 27

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...477538293.html
Yeah I know - I just thought I'd throw it out there because Emerson was 'front and centre' in the post Trump election refugee 'surge' here. I'm sure the situation has gone back down to pre Trump election numbers.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:37 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It is incorrect. While the majority of the information in that website was correct they are incorrect about dilbit presently being piped. There are no pipelines completed yet in Canada that can carry dilbit and it's not possible to pipe undiluted bitumen because bitumen on its own is hard asphalt, it's not in a liquid form, and cannot be pushed through pipes. The pipes that are required to transport dilbit need to be of much sturdier and larger construction than the pipes that carry liquid crude oil or other types of liquid petroleum products.

Dilbit is a very heavy sandy sludge that requires a much, much higher PSI pressure to push it at high speed through big pipes and it must be kept circulating at all times (even when in storage) to stay constantly mixed and must be maintained at a very high temperature at all times so that it can't get chilled and settle and 'coagulate'. So no, to the best of my knowledge it's not yet possible for either bitumen or dilbit to have ever been moved in pipes in Canada because there are no completed specialized pipes to accommodate it. The KM pipeline in question and being objected to is still under construction and nearing completion. To date, bitumen in it's more solid form (undiluted) has always been transported by trains and trucks and bitumen transported that way is not required be kept very hot like dilbit is.

Bitumen requires a very specialized type of refinery that is different from the refineries that are used for crude oil and other liquid petroleum products and it requires a tremendous amount of boiling hot water in the refining process to help melt and dilute it. That water cannot be recycled or reused again for anything else, it is toxic with chemicals and must be disposed of as toxic waste. Presumably in the earth.

If memory serves me correctly Canada has 2 bitumen refineries in Alberta only (1 operational and 1 still under construction), there are none anywhere else in Canada. Canada has other kinds of oil refineries across the country, I believe it is 22 in Canada that are presently operational (please don't quote me on that because the numbers may have changed in the past 5 years), but they are not capable of refining bitumen. USA has (or had) 212 oil refineries operational across the USA (the majority being in Louisiana, Texas and California) and of those 212 only 4 of them are bitumen refineries, those 4 are 1 located in Louisiana and 3 located in Texas where they have access to sea water from the Gulf of Mexico. I have no idea what the 4 American bitumen refineries do with all their toxic waste water. And I know nothing about bitumen refineries in any other countries.

Thanks for this information. If I read the information in the link below correctly and again correct me if i'm wrong, but according to Transmountain they transport Dilbit (Heavy Crude) on the existing Transmountain pipeline.

listed as one of the 'products' currently shipped in the Trans Mountain pipeline.

https://www.transmountain.com/product

Old 03-27-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Thanks for this information. If I read the information in the link below correctly and again correct me if i'm wrong, but according to Transmountain they transport Dilbit (Heavy Crude) on the existing Transmountain pipeline.

listed as one of the 'products' currently shipped in the Trans Mountain pipeline.

https://www.transmountain.com/product

There are several sweet or sour grades of dilbit, heavy crude and other lighter, sweeter petroleum products that are piped by Transmountain. If you look at their complete list of products and product grades that they transport and their respective destinations you'll see they transport partially refined heavy crude dilbit to the Washington refinery, it does not go to the Westbridge facility in Burnaby or to any other terminal in British Columbia. That lighter grade of partially refined heavy crude dilbit that goes to the Puget Sound refinery in Washington is not the same grade as the unrefined sour heavier dilbit grade that is proposed to be transported in the larger parallel pipeline which is still under construction and will be going to the Westbridge Marine Terminal in British Columbia for export to refineries in other countries. The pipeline still under construction and the heavier dilbit it is proposed to be transporting is the one that is being protested. I don't know whether or not you understand that there is no actual liquid oil in the ground in Alberta. It is all bitumen sand in Alberta and it gets crushed and melted down and extracted and refined into many grades. The stuff that is intended for the new pipeline is the very lowest, crudest grade of sand of them all.

Last edited by Zoisite; 03-27-2018 at 01:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada