Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2018, 06:27 PM

18,494 posts, read 15,380,201 times

Advertisements

Stanley Park Teahouse manager fired after refusing to serve Trump supporter | CBC News

Old 06-29-2018, 06:48 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,449,515 times
That's just sad. It's one thing to dislike a leader and their policies, but to take it out on a paying customer.

These kind of shallow tirades are giving Trump's followers endless ammunition.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
That's just sad. It's one thing to dislike a leader and their policies, but to take it out on a paying customer.

These kind of shallow tirades are giving Trump's followers endless ammunition.
Tirade? There was no tirade.

I think he did the right thing.

Some guy wearing a MAGA hat in CANADA especially with all the BS Trump is spouting about Canada, deserves everything he gets.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:31 PM

14,676 posts, read 14,779,386 times
Personally, I think it's funny that the customer didn't get served. I don't think the manager should have been fired. And from what I'm hearing on the news right now, the manager is also getting a lot of support from other people who strongly disapprove of the dictatorial bully-boy message the hat represents and the act of a bully supporter bringing that message into Canada.

Even the Westboro Church members with their bullying messages were eventually refused service and told officially that they're not welcome to come to Canada ever again.

If the customer had been wearing a hat that was in support of cyber bullying or some other form of coercive terrorism and subjugation and the message on it said "Make Bullying Great Again" would that have been different? After all, Trump represents those things too.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:41 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,449,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Tirade? There was no tirade.

I think he did the right thing.

Some guy wearing a MAGA hat in CANADA especially with all the BS Trump is spouting about Canada, deserves everything he gets.
It might make sense on an ethical level, but it's not up to the manager to enforce these kind of policies. If the customer was being aggressive or unruly, then there would be legitimate ground for it, but not for simply wearing a MAGA hat.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:55 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,425,088 times
Quote:
OTTAWA — A ketchup war is brewing, and Justin Trudeau is about to step into the middle of it.

Representing the United States is Heinz, which put 700 Canadian workers out of work in 2014 when it closed a plant in Canada’s tomato capital, a small southern Ontario town called Leamington. Anger and hand-wringing ensued.

Representing Canada is French’s, the mustard-maker, which began producing ketchup in Canada after the Heinz closure. In its bid for Canadian dollars, French’s even put a maple leaf on the bottle. Canadians rejoiced and bought French’s ketchup.

And on Sunday — which also happens to be Canada Day — Prime Minister Trudeau’s government is hitting back against the Trump administration’s tariffs on Canadian metals by slapping tariffs on $12.6 billion ($16.6 billion Canadian) worth of American-made products, including ketchup. To mark the occasion, Trudeau will spend part of the day not in the capital but in tomato country, meeting “Canadians and their families” and visiting a food processing plant.
Trudeau wades into U.S.-Canada ketchup war with tariffs on Heinz

Old 06-30-2018, 02:05 PM
BMI

7,455 posts, read 7,221,754 times
Great!

A lot of people here in Ontario not happy when Heinz pulled out after over 100 years
in Leamington. Too much of our food snd condiments are trucked in from USA.
Was much less of that 20 or 30 years ago. Maybe this trade war will be good for Canada.

If Trump f’s around with the auto sector that is much bigger and could hurt both
countries,we’ll see. I’m thinking....recession....Trump does not realize how integrated
the auto sector is between USA and Canada...

Last edited by BMI; 06-30-2018 at 02:21 PM..

Old 06-30-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
It might make sense on an ethical level, but it's not up to the manager to enforce these kind of policies. If the customer was being aggressive or unruly, then there would be legitimate ground for it, but not for simply wearing a MAGA hat.
I think just wearing that hat in Canada was a provocation.

It was also told to me, by someone that knows the manager, that all he did was ask the guy to remove the hat. It is a fairly nice restaurant after all, and he felt the other customers would be uncomfortable with someone wearing such an explosive bit of gear. He would of done the same if the hat had offensive language on it.

The guy just walked out. Nothing much was said.

Personally I think the hat wearer is a jerk.

The times being what they are, the jerk instead of realizing that perhaps his hat would be offensive, especially to the majority of his Canadian hosts, complained, instead of perhaps just taking off his stupid hat.

Old 06-30-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Personally, I think it's funny that the customer didn't get served. I don't think the manager should have been fired. And from what I'm hearing on the news right now, the manager is also getting a lot of support from other people who strongly disapprove of the dictatorial bully-boy message the hat represents and the act of a bully supporter bringing that message into Canada.

Even the Westboro Church members with their bullying messages were eventually refused service and told officially that they're not welcome to come to Canada ever again.

If the customer had been wearing a hat that was in support of cyber bullying or some other form of coercive terrorism and subjugation and the message on it said "Make Bullying Great Again" would that have been different? After all, Trump represents those things too.

Some say wearing a MAGA hat has become, almost like wearing a KKK uniform. It supports all the stuff you mentioned. It's way beyond political views, but major societal ones.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:30 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,425,088 times
Quote:
Some of the states set to be hit hardest by Canada's tariffs, based on how much of the targeted consumer products they shipped north in 2017 include:

Ohio -- $1.3 billion
New York -- $1.2 billion
Illinois -- $1 billion
Wisconsin -- $903 million
Pennsylvania -- $761 million
Washington -- $688 million
California -- $635 million
Michigan -- $573 million
Tennessee -- $517 million
https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/by-t...rump-1.3994039

(Click on this link, there is good infographics of US states affected)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada