Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2018, 11:03 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,740,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am not in favour of imposing our way of life on other countries, but the idea that is occasionally insinuated by some people that places like Saudi Arabia are somehow equivalently desirable societies to Canada or other western countries (''they're simply doing their own, different thing!'' ), just boggles my mind.
I hope that was not directly towards me.

I am not in support of what is going on in Saudi Arabia at all.

Also very few Arab countries are like Saudi Arabia.

Lots of really bad stuff going on there.

Lots of super poor oppressed people as well. Not everyone their is doing well financially. Lots of super poor people getting ignored by the crazy rich.

I know people that have lived there and other then to fill their pockets it is a horrible place to live.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:13 AM

Default ............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
Doesn’t matter we need to but out. It’s a big place for commerce and no sense in losing political ties with the Middle East. Could’ve been handled much better and saved some foreign relations. Very undiplomatic
Out of random curiosity I was looking in to Saudi Arabia and what is going on there.

I was reading all these stuff about activist there.

Lots of the youth as unhappy with the situation.

Lots of fear.

Lots of the super rich youth just travel cross the boarder to do things like watch movies, drink and go to parties.

Lots o them do their own things in their componds that are in defiance with the law of their country.

Many get educated outside of Saudi Arabia and live pretty Western Lives expect in public in Saudi Arabia due to the laws.

There are some really badass Saudi Feminist challenging the system and pushing hard to change the way things there are.

I am happy with the decision they made.

Someone needs to take a stand.

We can't always shut our eyes.

We did not wage war on Saudia Arabia. We stated our support for not jailing people that are critical of the system.

If people don't speak up nothing changes and things there need to change based on the opinions being shared by the people in the country.

I know people that have lived in Saudi Arabia ... but I actually don't think I personally know anyone who is Saudi Arabian.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:14 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,120,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I hope that was not directly towards me.

I am not in support of what is going on in Saudi Arabia at all.

Also very few Arab countries are like Saudi Arabia.

Lots of really bad stuff going on there.

Lots of super poor oppressed people as well. Not everyone their is doing well financially. Lots of super poor people getting ignored by the crazy rich.

I know people that have lived there and other then to fill their pockets it is a horrible place to live.
Not specifically, but you did respond to Luis with a kind of "who the hell are we to tell other countries how to be civilized????"

I happen to think we could tell a number of countries a thing or two about being civilized. Not that I think we should actually do it, though.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:18 AM

800 posts, read 731,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Out of random curiosity I was looking in to Saudi Arabia and what is going on there.

I was reading all these stuff about activist there.

Lots of the youth as unhappy with the situation.

Lots of fear.

Lots of the super rich youth just travel cross the boarder to do things like watch movies, drink and go to parties.

Lots o them do their own things in their componds that are in defiance with the law of their country.

Many get educated outside of Saudi Arabia and live pretty Western Lives expect in public in Saudi Arabia due to the laws.

There are some really badass Saudi Feminist challenging the system and pushing hard to change the way things there are.

I am happy with the decision they made.

Someone needs to take a stand.

We can't always shut our eyes.

We did not wage war on Saudia Arabia. We stated our support for not jailing people that are critical of the system.

If people don't speak up nothing changes and things there need to change based on the opinions being shared by the people in the country.

I know people that have lived in Saudi Arabia ... but I actually don't think I personally know anyone who is Saudi Arabian.
Propaganda. Most people that live there love it there.

They are painting Canada in. Negative light there too. You going to believe Canadians think it sucks here?

Old 08-09-2018, 11:19 AM

800 posts, read 731,911 times
Quote:
Not specifically, but you did respond to Luis with a kind of "who the hell are we to tell other countries how to be civilized????"

I happen to think we could tell a number of countries a thing or two about being civilized. Not that I think we should actually do it, though.
It’s one thing to think it. It’s one to announce it on an publicly on record. The former is natural. The latter is idiotic

Old 08-09-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:

They are painting Canada in. Negative light there too. You going to believe Canadians think it sucks here?
It's likely true that there is no shortage of people in Saudi Arabia who "love it there", but their proportion of people who are happy with their country is almost certainly much lower than in Canada. And at least part of the people who report loving it and being very happy may just be saying so out of fear of repression by the régime. I mean the whole basis for this diplomatic tension is rooted in their repression of free speech.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:49 AM

Default ......

Quote:

Oh that entire dialogue had more to it then anyone else might get.

The sentiment of what I was saying had more to do with a vibe that certain people hold certain groups to different standards and if around 1/2 or more of the world leaders are doing uncivilized things ... how can we ignore that much of the world as it will eventually effect us.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
It’s one thing to think it. It’s one to announce it on an publicly on record. The former is natural. The latter is idiotic
Sure. I am not indifferent to the plight of women or minorities like gays in Saudi Arabia and other such places, but my main focus is on maintaining the primacy of western values in Canada.

I am quite non-interventionist when it comes to the affairs of foreign lands.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:51 AM

Default .....

Quote:

If you speak out again the government there ... you will have your butt thrown in jail or you cold get your head chopped off.

So willingness to opening speak out against the government will not happen if it could cost you your life. It is like this is many other places too.

Freedom of speech is a lot less common in other parts of the world.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:53 AM

Default .....

Quote:
Sure. I am not indifferent to the plight of women or minorities like gays in Saudi Arabia and other such places, but my main focus is on maintaining the primacy of western values in Canada.

I am quite non-interventionist when it comes to the affairs of foreign lands.
GAY!!! In Saudia Arabia .... that is a death wish likely to come true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada