Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2020, 07:18 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,292,521 times

Advertisements

Tyendinaga Mohawk First Nation blockading railway mainline between Toronto-Montreal-Ottawa
in sympathy for Wet'suwet'en First Nation blockade of natural gas pipeline in NW BC.

Only in Canada....you have First Nations blocking a very important main rail line...I googled USA
Indians blocking railroad lines and got nothing...so I guess it's a Canada thing.

A very small section of Tyendinaga Mowhawk Territory, just east of Belleville, Ontario
does include main railway line....Canadian government should either purchase that small section,
or construct a slight reroute ...so that the country is not held captive in the future.
Via passenger service has been cancelled for days now and not mention freight (even more important).

Justin Trudeau is currently away on his African Tour but I doubt he would do anything if he was in Ottawa...he usually just apologizes and gives money to First Nations...

I also wonder if a similar blockade does happen in the USA would the Federal government put up with it or step in quickly to end it in the interest of the economy ...etc ...

Old 02-09-2020, 11:40 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,602,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Tyendinaga Mohawk First Nation blockading railway mainline between Toronto-Montreal-Ottawa
in sympathy for Wet'suwet'en First Nation blockade of natural gas pipeline in NW BC.

Only in Canada....you have First Nations blocking a very important main rail line...I googled USA
Indians blocking railroad lines and got nothing...so I guess it's a Canada thing.

A very small section of Tyendinaga Mowhawk Territory, just east of Belleville, Ontario
does include main railway line....Canadian government should either purchase that small section,
or construct a slight reroute ...so that the country is not held captive in the future.
Via passenger service has been cancelled for days now and not mention freight (even more important).

Justin Trudeau is currently away on his African Tour but I doubt he would do anything if he was in Ottawa...he usually just apologizes and gives money to First Nations...

I also wonder if a similar blockade does happen in the USA would the Federal government put up with it or step in quickly to end it in the interest of the economy ...etc ...
Not sure why you are using railway lines as a means test of protesting? What difference does it make if they do or don't do this in the US? The story is a Canadian story and has NOTHING to do with how the US deals with blockades etc.

Still, think about it. Blocking a rail line in Canada is more effective, since we have only two that cross the country, and you only have to block one to make your point.

Last edited by Natnasci; 02-09-2020 at 12:30 PM..

Old 02-10-2020, 04:58 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,431,616 times
They just blocked a major intersection here in Winnipeg. I got stuck in traffic. You don't gain support by pissing off the public. I hope the damn pipeline goes through.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:51 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,106,235 times
I don't.

Good on 'em.

Old 02-13-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Abdulrahman Banouri, 25, of Toronto, was arrested on February 8. He is facing 24 charges, including Two counts of Possession of a Firearm in a Vehicle, Two counts of Carry Concealed Weapons, and Uttering Threats

https://dailyhive.com/toronto/toront...earm-road-rage

Old 02-18-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Mother of ‘Jihadi Jack’ says she’s moving to Canada

A woman convicted of a terrorism-related offence in the United Kingdom for sending money to her pro-ISIS son Jack Letts is moving to Canada, she told Global News.

Sally Lane said in an email she would travel to Canada by sea to avoid no-fly lists. She is a dual citizen of the U.K. and Canada. She declined to explain why she was moving to Canada.

But she has been encouraging the Canadian government to repatriate her son, who has been detained in Syria since 2017.
https://globalnews.ca/news/6563698/j...ing-to-canada/

Old 02-21-2020, 10:24 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,120,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
A great addition to the Canadian family!

Old 02-21-2020, 11:08 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,563,491 times
They should start up the trains and run them off the tracks and keep driving at intersections they are blocking.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:43 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,525,116 times
I hope the provincial governments take steps to provide these guys everything they need to keep supplies rolling into where they're needed most.

https://www.trucknews.com/health-saf...ad/1003138611/

Old 04-15-2020, 07:31 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,525,116 times
So now Dougie's outraged over the elderly care while his government was just the latest in scaling back inspections of these places. Mike Harris all over again.

Even when inspected they get warned in advance of an inspection and it's also a minimal inspection process when it does happen.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...AZn?li=AAggNb9

Ford is riding the wave of a pandemic response he had no choice but to address as he has and will now pretend as though care homes and their negligent practices are a big surprise to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada