Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2020, 07:48 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Halifax sends a giant Christmas tree to Boston ever year as a show of gratitude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abpjtRIvdcw
That's right. I believe it's the giant one in normal years I often see in front of our Prudential Plaza. We ought to bestow something back to Canada for its continuous support. Back in 2017, I really wished that the Trump Administration would have gifted something good for Canada's 150th birthday. I do not recall it doing so but Trump being Trump he probably wished Trudeau would bow down before him and pay tribute to him instead. If I were President I'd probably sign a beneficial trade deal or perhaps an easing of some extant trade restriction as a gift to the nation and then have the US Mint request the dies from the RCM and mint a billion commemorative 2017 Maple Leaf Pennies free of charge to send back to the RCM to distribute to ordinary citizens as a token gesture.

Old 11-07-2020, 07:35 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,194,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
That's right. I believe it's the giant one in normal years I often see in front of our Prudential Plaza. We ought to bestow something back to Canada for its continuous support. Back in 2017, I really wished that the Trump Administration would have gifted something good for Canada's 150th birthday. I do not recall it doing so but Trump being Trump he probably wished Trudeau would bow down before him and pay tribute to him instead. If I were President I'd probably sign a beneficial trade deal or perhaps an easing of some extant trade restriction as a gift to the nation and then have the US Mint request the dies from the RCM and mint a billion commemorative 2017 Maple Leaf Pennies free of charge to send back to the RCM to distribute to ordinary citizens as a token gesture.
This is very cool! Thanks for sharing the story & video.

Old 11-07-2020, 07:47 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
This is very cool! Thanks for sharing the story & video.

My pleasure but I only shared the article with the story. It was UrbanLuis who first shared the video.

Old 11-08-2020, 02:13 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Back in 2017, I really wished that the Trump Administration would have gifted something good for Canada's 150th birthday....
I seem to recall that back in 1967, on Canada's 100th birthday, President Lyndon Johnson gave a gift to Canada, on behalf of the United States, to celebrate Canada's birthday. It was some sort of Steuben glass sculpture, with the coats of arms of the provinces and territories, and of Canada itself, etched into it. I've seen photos of it, and it's (to me, anyway) not terribly attractive, but it's the thought that counts.

Canada's gift to the US on its 200th birthday in 1976 was the book Between Friends/Entre Amis, with plenty of photos illustrating our peacefully-shared border.

I was a little disappointed that the United States did not give us anything on our 150th birthday. Of course, it is not obliged to, but in the tradition of giving gifts between our two countries on important anniversaries, it seemed a little odd.

Oh well. I had a lot of fun in 2017 with the free national park pass that the Canadian government gave to every citizen. I got to a few parks that year.

Old 11-08-2020, 12:30 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
RIP

Quote:
Alex Trebek, host of ‘Jeopardy!,’ dies after battle with pancreatic cancer
https://globalnews.ca/news/7450091/a...y-dies-cancer/

Old 11-08-2020, 01:18 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Wow. This has been a double whammy week, two of my absolutely most adored entertainment personalities gone within a few days of each other. First Sean Connery and now Alex Trebek. We knew this was coming soon for Alex but knowing that doesn't soften the blow and feelings of loss.

Rest in peace on your laurels, Alex, you were a tremendous influence in increasing the knowledge of so many people. I will miss you.

Old 11-08-2020, 03:43 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Wow. This has been a double whammy week, two of my absolutely most adored entertainment personalities gone within a few days of each other. First Sean Connery and now Alex Trebek. We knew this was coming soon for Alex but knowing that doesn't soften the blow and feelings of loss.

Rest in peace on your laurels, Alex, you were a tremendous influence in increasing the knowledge of so many people. I will miss you.

It been a bad year for me. It actually started in October 2019, when I lost a dear friend. So far in 2020 I have lost five people I know, 3 of them close.

Then last week, I lost my mother.

It isn't a good year, but I'm strong.

Old 11-08-2020, 04:10 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It been a bad year for me. It actually started in October 2019, when I lost a dear friend. So far in 2020 I have lost five people I know, 3 of them close.

That’s terrible. I’m really sorry for your loss.

Old 11-08-2020, 04:41 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
That’s terrible. I’m really sorry for your loss.
Thank you. They say things come in waves.

It does make one appreciate family, friends and the time we have left.

Old 11-08-2020, 04:49 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

I am so sorry for your loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada