Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2020, 11:17 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times

Advertisements

Good news for Canadians

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/canada...orts-1.5209209

Old 11-29-2020, 12:03 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
A very strange conundrum that defies any logical reasoning, but no one will be surprised:

"current law, the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is prohibited from negotiating lower drug prices on behalf of Medicare Part D beneficiaries. In contrast, other government programs, like Medicaid and VA, are allowed to negotiate."

Here we have them congressionally prevented from bargaining for lower prices to supply the largest single " segment of their "socialized" healthcare provision, over 44 million people, 10 million more than Canada's entire population, but at the same time not prohibited from buying lower priced drugs from countries who are not prevented from bargaining for lower pricing.

All without any thought to purchasing on behalf of 44 million perhaps leaving the 34 million of the country that did the original lower price bargaining short of supplies for themselves.

Haaar! Maybe this should be in the "stupidity never ceasing to amaze" thread?

Good move on the part Trudeau's government to limit it to only what would be deemed safe to relinquish.

Old 11-29-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
A very strange conundrum that defies any logical reasoning, but no one will be surprised:

"current law, the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is prohibited from negotiating lower drug prices on behalf of Medicare Part D beneficiaries. In contrast, other government programs, like Medicaid and VA, are allowed to negotiate."

Here we have them congressionally prevented from bargaining for lower prices to supply the largest single " segment of their "socialized" healthcare provision, over 44 million people, 10 million more than Canada's entire population, but at the same time not prohibited from buying lower priced drugs from countries who are not prevented from bargaining for lower pricing.

All without any thought to purchasing on behalf of 44 million perhaps leaving the 34 million of the country that did the original lower price bargaining short of supplies for themselves.

Good move on the part Trudeau's government to limit it to only what would be deemed safe to relinquish.
Months ago when I posted on a US thread about healthcare, and I mentioned the hypocrisy of anti universal healthcare folks, thinking Trump's " plan " was a great one, all I got was crickets.

Old 11-29-2020, 12:30 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Thanks Nat, that really is good news. I'm glad Canada is putting the kibosh on exporting a lot of meds that we can't afford to go short of. I admit I had a lot of concerns about that a few weeks back when Trump very blithely announced to the media that America would simply be stocking up on medications purchased from Canadian drug stores, said as if Canada has a never-ending supply of millions of meds for America to take advantage of. So this news is a relief. Also, do you recall last year when there was a rush of large groups of protesting American visitors coming together in organized convoys that crossed the border to try to buy out all the insulin they could get their hands on in Canadian pharmacies? They didn't care if they were depriving Canadians as long as they could get it for cheap. That annoyed me.

Old 11-29-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Thanks Nat, that really is good news. I'm glad Canada is putting the kibosh on exporting a lot of meds that we can't afford to go short of. I admit I had a lot of concerns about that a few weeks back when Trump very blithely announced to the media that America would simply be stocking up on medications purchased from Canadian drug stores, said as if Canada has a never-ending supply of millions of meds for America to take advantage of. So this news is a relief. Also, do you recall last year when there was a rush of large groups of protesting American visitors coming together in organized convoys that crossed the border to try to buy out all the insulin they could get their hands on in Canadian pharmacies? They didn't care if they were depriving Canadians as long as they could get it for cheap. That annoyed me.

I do recall. I feel for those folks, since some of them were desperate. Hopefully THOSE folks can now see how a UHC system is to their benefit, but who knows?

Old 11-29-2020, 12:58 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I do recall. I feel for those folks, since some of them were desperate. Hopefully THOSE folks can now see how a UHC system is to their benefit, but who knows?
I know they were desperate and I understand why they were protesting that way, I felt sorry for them too that the costs of their own more than adequate supplies are just far too costly for them to be able to afford. But I wasn't pleased with the way they dragged Canada into their protest in a way that could have been at Canada's greater expense, nor with the way their actions and the potential consequences to Canada were completely ignored by their own government and big pharma.

Old 11-29-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I know they were desperate and I understand why they were protesting that way, I felt sorry for them too that the costs of their own more than adequate supplies are just far too costly for them to be able to afford. But I wasn't pleased with the way they dragged Canada into their protest in a way that could have been at Canada's greater expense, nor with the way their actions and the potential consequences to Canada were completely ignored by their own government and big pharma.

Here is how the story was portrayed in the US. Pretty blunt.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2019/0...anada-orig.cnn

and this

"Quinn Nystrom, a leader of T1International’s Minnesota chapter, said on May via Twitter that the price of insulin in the United States per vial was $320, while in Canada the same medication under a different name was $30."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKCN1TU0T4

It's sad, but as people said after the Sandy Hook children's massacre, if the US can't change it's mind on it's gun laws after that, then they never will.

Same, same with this situation I'm afraid. I used to have hope that they might, but now?

Old 11-29-2020, 02:36 PM

2,219 posts, read 1,326,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

Oxymoron.
Can't repu you again.

Old 11-29-2020, 03:21 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
I vaguely remember that when Canadian online pharmacies were actively selling to Americans that some drug companies were quietly threatening to stop supplying the Canadian market. Bluff or not, I was concerned when Trump signed his executive order this summer. So, I am glad to hear the news today. Thanks for posting the article, Nat!

Old 12-02-2020, 01:02 PM

3,456 posts, read 2,783,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Oxymoron.
Can't repu you again.
Oxymoron - what kind of drug is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada