Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2021, 05:22 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,120,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I liked him, and I liked the show. It was a game show that was intelligent and that you could learn by watching, and I always got the impression that Alex also loved being surrounded by knowledge and facts. It's not a show that could have been hosted by, for example, a Kardashian.
I love all quiz shows and this one was good, though I always found answering in the form of a question gimmicky.

Old 01-21-2021, 03:02 PM

3,486 posts, read 2,826,057 times
James Cross died January 6.
https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...d-at-99-report

Old 01-21-2021, 03:23 PM

2,408 posts, read 1,588,487 times
Governor General has resigned. I guess the report into how her staff were treated must have been really bad

Old 01-21-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
Governor General has resigned. I guess the report into how her staff were treated must have been really bad
Was Payette in outer space when it came to performing her duties as GG?

Old 01-21-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Was Payette in outer space when it came to performing her duties as GG?
I guess her employees didn't have the "right stuff"

Old 01-21-2021, 05:11 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,106,235 times
Here is Payette's statement about her decision to resign. From what I've been reading elsewhere I get the impression that it was the Secretary to the Governor General (Assunta di Lorenzo - who has also resigned) who was also at fault for creating a stressful work environment at Rideau Hall, not only GG Payette alone.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jul...hall-1.5882916

Old 01-21-2021, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Here is Payette's statement about her decision to resign. From what I've been reading elsewhere I get the impression that it was the Secretary to the Governor General (Assunta di Lorenzo - who has also resigned) who was the one most at fault for creating a stressful work environment at Rideau Hall.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jul...hall-1.5882916

“Assunta di Lorenzo” sounds like the name of a town in southern Italy.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:33 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,525,116 times
I can only imagine the discussions that must have taken place in-camera prior to the release of this report. I'm betting there was enough substance to the fifty complaints that someone sat her down long ago and told her what her choices would be; either the bad - resign, or the worst - force Trudeau to appeal to Her Majesty to appoint another and have her arse hauled to the curb.

To be given such a privilege of representing Canadians and abuse it in such a manner by mistreating or allowing the mistreatment of Canadians is just arrogant beyond belief. All of her amazing accomplishments are now going to be hidden by the fog of a tainted tenure while one of the highest office holders.

A shame.

Old 01-22-2021, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I can only imagine the discussions that must have taken place in-camera prior to the release of this report. I'm betting there was enough substance to the fifty complaints that someone sat her down long ago and told her what her choices would be; either the bad - resign, or the worst - force Trudeau to appeal to Her Majesty to appoint another and have her arse hauled to the curb.

To be given such a privilege of representing Canadians and abuse it in such a manner by mistreating or allowing the mistreatment of Canadians is just arrogant beyond belief. All of her amazing accomplishments are now going to be hidden by the fog of a tainted tenure while one of the highest office holders.

A shame.
I have always liked and respected Julie Payette...I prefer to thinks that her Deputy Minister/Secretary Assunta di Lorenzo may have been the main "culprit" and that Madame Payette having personally selected her is doing the right thing and resigning. That coupled with the fact that despite fulfilling her ceremonial duties with relish I dont think she really enjoyed other aspects of the job, certainly not being closely shadowed by the RCMP , she is a very private person and must have felt suffocated .

She probably was guilty of some inappropriate behaviour but remember her background, she would be a perfectionist, an alpha type personality and would not necessarily be used to dealing with staff who just did their jobs and did not necessarily excel. I am a public servant of 20 plus years and I know how some of my colleagues have poor attitudes to the job. I saw a lot of tension between senior Canadian Forces Officers and civilian employees at DND, I can only imagine what went on at Rideau Hall. Had she recruited a seasoned public service manager to work as her secretary rather than a friend form the private sector I am sure this would all have been nipped in the bud last year

Having said all of that I am also a bit of a republican and would not be sorry to see a Canadian as head of state replacing Queen Elizabeth and removing the need for a GG....that's food for another topic

Old 01-22-2021, 06:49 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,525,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
I have always liked and respected Julie Payette...I prefer to thinks that her Deputy Minister/Secretary Assunta di Lorenzo may have been the main "culprit" and that Madame Payette having personally selected her is doing the right thing and resigning. That coupled with the fact that despite fulfilling her ceremonial duties with relish I dont think she really enjoyed other aspects of the job, certainly not being closely shadowed by the RCMP , she is a very private person and must have felt suffocated .

She probably was guilty of some inappropriate behaviour but remember her background, she would be a perfectionist, an alpha type personality and would not necessarily be used to dealing with staff who just did their jobs and did not necessarily excel. I am a public servant of 20 plus years and I know how some of my colleagues have poor attitudes to the job. I saw a lot of tension between senior Canadian Forces Officers and civilian employees at DND, I can only imagine what went on at Rideau Hall. Had she recruited a seasoned public service manager to work as her secretary rather than a friend form the private sector I am sure this would all have been nipped in the bud last year

Having said all of that I am also a bit of a republican and would not be sorry to see a Canadian as head of state replacing Queen Elizabeth and removing the need for a GG....that's food for another topic
Her list of accomplishments are outstanding. A singularly driven personality that does not surprise me with her lack of tolerance of mediocrity.

The negatives of this for Trudeau are going to become more readily visible in the coming days as he unilaterally appointed her in spite of objections raised by opposition parties to there having been a bi-partisan ad-hoc committee used for her predecessor's selection. Another example of Trudeau's primary belief in himself over the process.

As you say, this will lend further credence to the musings of many about the continued need for a Royal Rep within Canada's governance. Another crack in the foundation, if you will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada