Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 05:30 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Let's not forget nearly a million more voters picked Clinton over Trump. He has no "mandate" and didn't sweep into a victory. If he does screw up (which he has already IMO), it shouldn't be hard to get enough of the electorate to vote for his Democratic challenger.
Over 2 million more picked Clinton than Trump: Clinton's lead in the popular vote surpasses 2 million - POLITICO

With millions of votes to count. Hillary should win by 2.5-3 million in the end. Pure insanity that she's being denied the Presidency while racking up millions more votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 06:05 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Over 2 million more picked Clinton than Trump: Clinton's lead in the popular vote surpasses 2 million - POLITICO

With millions of votes to count. Hillary should win by 2.5-3 million in the end. Pure insanity that she's being denied the Presidency while racking up millions more votes.
Unbelievable........... The last time this happened in 2000, Gore's popular vote win was by only 540,000. This is unprecedented for a candidate to win the popular vote by so much yet still lose.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:35 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Unbelievable........... The last time this happened in 2000, Gore's popular vote win was by only 540,000. This is unprecedented for a candidate to win the popular vote by so much yet still lose.
Also unprecedented will be the mushroom cloud over the U.S. if any attempt is made to overturn the present result.

These people are fix'n to get even more unhinged.

The up-side is that while they're all out there busting each others heads, greens fees will drop like a stone.

Just kidding!

Old 11-28-2016, 02:00 AM

676 posts, read 646,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Botti, all valid points, and under normal circumstances, I couldn't agree more because I could see the democrats (or any politician) doing the exact same thing given the circumstances. However, Trump is anything but normal, and has broken all conventions of reason - the very fact that nearly half the country voted for a guy who was factually incorrect or flat-out lying in every one of his speeches should tell you that we are way past what is normal. Or according to Oxford English dictionary's new addition, we've arrived at the "post-truth" era. https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...d-dictionaries

The very fact that Trump has just nominated Steve Bannon to be his Chief White House Strategist should tell you what lies ahead - Trump may not say it because he is now the president-elect and has been much more careful with his words lately - but his actions and political appointments speak louder than words. OF ALL THE TALENTED PEOPLE that this country has to offer, he picked an Alt-Right propaganda radio host to influence the strategic direction of the most powerful country on earth for the next four years. Earlier this week right after his appointment announcement, Bannon went on his usual racist rant that "Silicon Valley's problem is that it has too many Asians..." - he didn't finish the sentence because probably even he realized how inflammatory, racist, and ridiculous he sounds.

The very fact that Trump has invited JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon (my previous employer) to head the Treasury Department should tell you what lies ahead - that Trump's version of "draining the swamp" means staffing his cabinet with Wall Street investment bankers (fyi Steve Bannon was also a former investment banker from NYC). I mean really, what happened? Did Trump lose his balls over night? Just last week he was still on national television blasting the "establishment" and "evils of wall street" and "returning power to the people." Yes, Jamie Dimon and Steve Bannon are such ideal "representatives of the people." We get it.

I mean Botti, we've come this far so let's put aside all the niceties and not mince words: Trump is a moron, a monster, and an ill-equipped idiot who grossly underestimated what it takes to be POTUS, and never had the interests of the "people" at heart from day one.
Everything I had wanted to say about the Trump administration has been summed up here. I don't particularly mind what little we know about his economic policy and as someone in the energy & infrastructure industry, I might stand to benefit from what may come. Yet the circus act he has been bringing on - Pence, Bannon, Carson etc. - can't be disassociated with him and can't be defended.

I've tossed out weaker friendships / associations with people - especially people in Canada who couldn't even vote in this election - who vocally supported his nationalistic/populist and overtly racist ideals. True colors of some people coming out. I'm not even that left-leaning and had the Republican party nominated someone less xenophobic - say Marco Rubio or Jeb Bush - I'd be perfectly fine with either party prevailing. But not Trump's rolodex of mean-spirited asshats.

So yes. I will completely stop visiting America these four years if I can help it, because there is plenty more to see in the world than the USA and with the Canadian dollar doing its best impression of the Titanic I should probably spend more time in Canada than I've been doing over the past few years. Might even make more trips to Mexico than usual as a "F You" to Trump's wall (read: picket fence). Any miniscule dent I could make to the American economy as a show of protest and disapproval is worth me collecting some more variety to the countries that are stamped onto my passport.

Will possibly grant an exception to the Cascadia coast, because it's beautiful and because in general less ****ed up and might be America's safe haven these next few years.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:55 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

It does not matter...that is not how you win US presidential elections....not to mention neither of them reached 50% of the vote

Geographically it was a landslide for Trump (let's be clear I did not vote for him)

Courtesy of the NYT. Trump won 80% of US territory if not more.

Hillary popular vote edge is extremely concentrated mainly on a sliver of coastal areas...California alone gave 4 milion more votes to Hillary.

The Electoral College system is a clever way to prevent tiny urban areas to dictate their will to the rest of a huge and diverse nation as the US, the founding fathers feared the mob rule....the difference between a democratic republic and a democracy.

Even countries with a direct popular vote majority usually have run off stages if neither candidate reaches over 50% of the vote.

The Democratic party is at risk of becoming a regional party.

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-29-2016 at 10:05 PM..

Old 11-30-2016, 08:34 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,299,160 times
Quote:
Incidentally the largest popular vote counts were also in states that have no voter ID laws. It's your word and signature, and you're in. If I had names and addresses of people who died in the last couple of years and weren't taken off Voter Registration rolls, I could vote for all of them in places like CA.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vote..._United_States

Which is why some politicians are so dead set against mandatory Voter ID checks at the polling station and call it "voter suppression". Yes, dead voter suppression.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Incidentally the largest popular vote counts were also in states that have no voter ID laws. It's your word and signature, and you're in. If I had names and addresses of people who died in the last couple of years and weren't taken off Voter Registration rolls, I could vote for all of them in places like CA.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vote..._United_States

Which is why some politicians are so dead set against mandatory Voter ID checks at the polling station and call it "voter suppression". Yes, dead voter suppression.
For a party that is supposedly the one that steals elections and allows voter fraud to happen, they sure aren't good at winning elections.........

Old 12-01-2016, 10:08 AM

196 posts, read 216,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Geographically it was a landslide for Trump (let's be clear I did not vote for him)
[...]
The Democratic party is at risk of becoming a regional party.
Conservatives love touting that map. Yet how it is used is extremely deceptive and it has the same overal look election to election no matter who wins. Looks impressive on the surface though. If you alter it to reflect population, suddenly it looks very different, and then I could say that the Repubs run the risk of becoming the party of the minority. Goes both ways.

I get that rural regions may need a boost in terms of representation not to be drowned out, but the concerns on the other side are valid. In California, one electoral college seat represents 500K citizens, in Wyoming that number is less than 150K. So an individual vote in one part of the country could be worth 1/3 to another. I know that there's a balance to be reached between rural and urban representation, but the numbers look highly slanted.

Last edited by CloudReader; 12-01-2016 at 10:25 AM..

Old 12-01-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudReader View Post
Conservatives love touting that map. Yet how it is used is extremely deceptive and it has the same overal look election to election no matter who wins. Looks impressive on the surface though. If you alter it to reflect population, suddenly it looks very different, and then I could say that the Repubs run the risk of becoming the party of the minority. Goes both ways.

I get that rural regions may need a boost in terms of representation not to be drowned out, but the concerns on the other side are valid. In California, one electoral college seat represents 500K citizens, in Wyoming that number is less than 150K. So an individual vote in one part of the country could be worth 1/3 to another. I know that there's a balance to be reached between rural and urban representation, but the numbers look highly slanted.
I agree with you but the Democrats need to do more to regain their once solid wins in places like PA and Wisconsin. Conservatives seem to forget while a lot of those places might be red, trees and cows are unable to vote.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:12 PM

196 posts, read 216,603 times
Quote:
I agree with you but the Democrats need to do more to regain their once solid wins in places like PA and Wisconsin. Conservatives seem to forget while a lot of those places might be red, trees and cows are unable to vote.
No argument from me about that. This election was basically won and lost on those States. The democrats need to figure out how to attract rural voters period. Even places like PA and CO, the population seem very conservative-leaning outside of the cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada