Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 09:40 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,845 times
I don't drink coffee or tea ... or anything they have on their menu, but I love Starbucks because if I am out and about and my phone needs to be recharged or I need to use a clean washroom this is where I am heading. I will buy something and then use their pluggs, washroom and consume what I have purchased in a relaxing and clean environment.

Starbucks just has a welcoming environment compared to other similar type chains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 09:41 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Pretty common in Germany too. When I was studying uni in Berlin, my roommates would have Coca-Cola for breakfast. For dinner, we'd have apple juice mixed with fizzy drinks. In fact, Germans tend love anything that contains fizzy bubbles.
Fact. Schorle, it's called. They water down juices with carbonated water, and I think it's actually a great idea. It cuts down on the sugar, since it dilutes, and probably saves you money since juice is more expensive than water. I'm opposed to buying bottled water of any sort, but I've long wanted to get a machine that does this.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:54 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,356 times
I drink what I like to drink, and if it's just a Coke together with a fine meal, why not. I do not want to drink Alcohol every day.

I also like Schorle, but I am carefully these days which one to buy. The very cheap discounter ones for 19 cents a bottle are often made with cheap Chinese apple concentrate, which is not that healthy for many reasons.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:53 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Anyone ever had Cola-Schoppen in Germany?

Old 10-26-2016, 10:54 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Maybe this was true at one time, but it definitely isn't reality right now. Nobody with a reasonable amount of education that I know of thinks drinking soda is 'cool', and would avoid doing so in public at the very least. It is very uncouth, even here in weirdo Sudbury. If I think of soda, I think of people hanging out around the liquor store or on the back of a bus drinking from 1L bottles and yelling about their custody problems into a cellphone.

Maybe its an older generation thing.

Younger people will drink soda if it is birch beer or something, and was produced within a 50km radius in small batches and has a design-savvy label. Otherwise, its water, a smoothie, tea, coffee, or liquor when dining out.
He and I were talking about the cool factor of soft drinks overseas, not in Canada (or the U.S.)

And it's definitely still cool for young people to drink Coke or whatever in many countries overseas these days.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:26 PM

3,863 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Anyone ever had Cola-Schoppen in Germany?
Yep, best of both worlds

Old 10-27-2016, 05:32 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Canada has the highest number of Subway restaurants per person in the world too (or #2, pretty much ties with the US).

Number of SUBWAY® Restaurant Locations in the World

Additionally, statistic show that in terms of market share of chain restaurants, Canada is number 1 in the world, at 66%, US second at 61%, followed by UK/Germany at 50-55%. France/China at 30-35%, and Spain/Italy in the 20%s. You can search online. Don't remember the exact source.

It seems Canada did a great job in becoming a incredibly boring chain dominated homogeneous country. This is why I am more and more opposed to "globalization". Some countries simply become an average country with less and less of its own.

Congrates, we created an Earth Village.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:14 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Canada has the highest number of Subway restaurants per person in the world too (or #2, pretty much ties with the US).

Number of SUBWAY® Restaurant Locations in the World

Additionally, statistic show that in terms of market share of chain restaurants, Canada is number 1 in the world, at 66%, US second at 61%, followed by UK/Germany at 50-55%. France/China at 30-35%, and Spain/Italy in the 20%s. You can search online. Don't remember the exact source.

It seems Canada did a great job in becoming a incredibly boring chain dominated homogeneous country. This is why I am more and more opposed to "globalization". Some countries simply become an average country with less and less of its own.

Congrates, we created an Earth Village.
Congrats Botti. Good luck on that crusade of yours.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:12 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Congrats Botti. Good luck on that crusade of yours.
It is not a crusade, but one can't deny the dominance of American chains make a country a lot less interesting. I am expressing opinions, whether you approve it or not, please don't make it personal.

Ever since the first month I lived in Canada, I struggled with the idea of a Canadian identity, in terms of food, entertainment, lifestyle, etc etc. I think I mentioned that several times before. I am not saying Canada is a bad country -- it is a very successful one, but the failure in this aspect really disappoints me immensely. Of course one would say "diversity" but come on, even this small French city I live in is incredibly diverse, probably beating any Canadian city of similar size. Diversity is not something that is unique to Canada.

Beating even the US in per capita US chains is really not something a country should be proud of. It only means Canada is unable to create much of its own to compete with that.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:08 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It is not a crusade, but one can't deny the dominance of American chains make a country a lot less interesting. I am expressing opinions, whether you approve it or not, please don't make it personal.

Ever since the first month I lived in Canada, I struggled with the idea of a Canadian identity, in terms of food, entertainment, lifestyle, etc etc. I think I mentioned that several times before. I am not saying Canada is a bad country -- it is a very successful one, but the failure in this aspect really disappoints me immensely. Of course one would say "diversity" but come on, even this small French city I live in is incredibly diverse, probably beating any Canadian city of similar size. Diversity is not something that is unique to Canada.

Beating even the US in per capita US chains is really not something a country should be proud of. It only means Canada is unable to create much of its own to compete with that.
I'm curious as to what you would have Canada and Canadians do? What would be a realistic alternative, short of complaining everyday about our depressing state of affairs?

Glad you are enjoying yourself in Lyon. We are all really really happy for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada