Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 02:55 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,508,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
My group of pub buddies were talking about this. We are part of the last generation that actually knew people who fought in the Second World War, and the First World War in which my great uncles fought in.

On a positive note, one friend who is an elementary school teacher said that they still teach the kids what Remembrance Day is all about, plus they still have a special assembly where the kids pay honour to the veterans.

I was kind of struck by this. I was under the impression people were forgetting.
My late dad fought overseas during the Second World War.

But talking 'bout Our Gen-gen-eration ♪

I was listening to a local talk radio new show yesterday morning, and one newscast featured Leonard Cohen's passing as the top story. I was livid. I fired off an email to the radio station in question, and the late Leonard Cohen was relegated to second story afterwards. I was frothing.

It was especially annoying given that the late Leonard Cohen passed away on Monday, November 7 and was already buried in Montreal before his family initially released the news.

What a horrible thing for the late Leonard Cohen's family to have done, though, to wait until just before Remembrance Day to make his death public. I was furious, and though I was never a Leonard Cohen fan, despite him coming from Montreal, I now actively loathe him.

I even made a chop of the late Leonard Cohen, which I haven't posted anywhere, though I have emailed it to people I know. If you dare, it's here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 03:07 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
My group of pub buddies were talking about this. We are part of the last generation that actually knew people who fought in the Second World War, and the First World War in which my great uncles fought in.

On a positive note, one friend who is an elementary school teacher said that they still teach the kids what Remembrance Day is all about, plus they still have a special assembly where the kids pay honour to the veterans.

I was kind of struck by this. I was under the impression people were forgetting.
By golly you're/they're right.

I've attended one of the Netherlands anniversary commemorations and was awe struck by how all demographics of their population are imbued with the intent to remember.

My father was a troop sergeant of a group of "tankers" (equivalent to the part played by Brad Pitt in the movie "Fury") seeing action in N.Africa, Italy, liberation of Holland, France and Belgium and lastly Germany.
My Father in Law was a wireless air gunner flying no less than 67 missions over Europe and later the far east, often over "the hump" as a tail gunner before being told the evening before his next mission he was "done".

Both of them were wounded in action and recovered to resume their duties. Both my wife's and my mother received that dreaded telegram informing of their husbands being "wounded in action" and both of them waited the three week period to finally receive another telegram relating the nature of the injury and their return to active duty.

My fervent wish would be for no one to ever go through those events.

I'm encouraged by just the sort of thing your elementary teacher friend explained. My radar is detecting a renewed interest in the exploits of these wonderful men and women who were able to put years of terrible stuff behind them and resume a normal life bringing up a family.

Remarkable, when you think of it.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post

I was listening to a local talk radio new show yesterday morning, and one newscast featured Leonard Cohen's passing as the top story. I was livid. I fired off an email to the radio station in question, and the late Leonard Cohen was relegated to second story afterwards. I was frothing.

It was especially annoying given that the late Leonard Cohen passed away on Monday, November 7 and was already buried in Montreal before his family initially released the news.

What a horrible thing for the late Leonard Cohen's family to have done, though, to wait until just before Remembrance Day to make his death public. I was furious, and though I was never a Leonard Cohen fan, despite him coming from Montreal, I now actively loathe him.

I even made a chop of the late Leonard Cohen, which I haven't posted anywhere, though I have emailed it to people I know. If you dare, it's here.
Reminds me of a conversation my brother and I (both ex RCN) were treated to upon Pierre Trudeau's election as Prime Minister and our father being privy to Pierre's war time history of riding around on a motorcycle wearing a German WWI helmet. Gads; that was some discussion!

Old 11-12-2016, 03:24 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,508,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Reminds me of a conversation my brother and I (both ex RCN) were treated to upon Pierre Trudeau's election as Prime Minister and our father being privy to Pierre's war time history of riding around on a motorcycle wearing a German WWI helmet. Gads; that was some discussion!
I'll bet it was.

My poor late father. He lived with two females - his wife and me. He wanted to talk about the war and some of his stories, but at the time, neither of us wanted to hear about it.

One or two stories did filter through, though. One involved my father watching his best friend lose his life; perhaps that's when the filter was set to high and I blocked any further stories.

My late dad used to get phone calls from an Italian man a few times a year, and he would sit and jaw away in Italian to the man. My dad spoke fluent Italian, among five other languages (!)

And I think that I'm special because I can speak English and French.... but I digress.

I never asked my dad what he and his friend were talking about, but it was probably war stories.

My dad once told me, "When I was fighting in the war and travelling, I went to many different countries, girl. The most beautiful women in the world live in Italy."

1: My dad always called me "girl", even though I do have a given name
2: Did he dare tell my mother that, about the most beautiful women? She was Scottish born, from Dundee!

Old 11-12-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I'll bet it was.

My poor late father. He lived with two females - his wife and me. He wanted to talk about the war and some of his stories, but at the time, neither of us wanted to hear about it.

One or two stories did filter through, though. One involved my father watching his best friend lose his life; perhaps that's when the filter was set to high and I blocked any further stories.

My late dad used to get phone calls from an Italian man a few times a year, and he would sit and jaw away in Italian to the man. My dad spoke fluent Italian, among five other languages (!)

And I think that I'm special because I can speak English and French.... but I digress.

I never asked my dad what he and his friend were talking about, but it was probably war stories.

My dad once told me, "When I was fighting in the war and travelling, I went to many different countries, girl. The most beautiful women in the world live in Italy."

1: My dad always called me "girl", even though I do have a given name
2: Did he dare tell my mother that, about the most beautiful women? She was Scottish born, from Dundee!
See, now that right there is the bravery I'm talking about. Imagine married to a girl from Dundee and even hinting to your daughter that the world's most beautiful women were from Italy..... whooeeee! He shoulda bought lottery tickets.

Thanks for sharing that.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:14 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,392,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My Dad was also a British Navy vet, he immigrated to Florida back in 1958 and lived a very successful life , he passed away Thursday night .
Godspeed Dad.
http://www.madaboutflags.co.uk/ekmps...--103278-p.png
Sorry to hear that Jambo. My sympathies to you and your family.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:32 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,265,430 times
This might sound a little off topic but I have always wondered why
Remembrance Day is not an official holiday in Ontario.

In 8 out of 10 provinces it is.

Only in Ontario and Quebec it is not.

Quebec I kinda understand

But Ontario....very strange, can someone explain it...

Old 11-13-2016, 01:41 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:

I wouldn't blame him, but his family.

Old 11-13-2016, 01:45 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
This might sound a little off topic but I have always wondered why
Remembrance Day is not an official holiday in Ontario.

In 8 out of 10 provinces it is.

Only in Ontario and Quebec it is not.

Quebec I kinda understand

But Ontario....very strange, can someone explain it...
Actually four provinces it isn't a stat.

I couldn't find out why, but came across this silly article arguing against it being a stat.

Their premise is ridiculous. Speaking from experience here in BC, the " holiday " is not treated as an excuse to party.

There's a very good reason Remembrance Day isn't a holiday in Ontario | Daily Hive Toronto

Old 11-11-2017, 10:11 AM

126,262 posts, read 19,028,275 times
Remembrance Day today and I just wanted to stop by to give my thank you to all our Canadian soldiers. Brave soldiers who fought in the war to give us freedom and still fight the war to keep us safe. My family and I would like to thank you all from our heart and you will never be forgotten.My wish is lets unite against war and bring the world closer with peace and harmony. Je n'oublierai jamais!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada