Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 03:34 PM

486 posts, read 1,898,438 times

Advertisements

I had the great fortune of being able to visit Canada for the first time last year and spent five days in Toronto with my 10 grade class during my school's "trip's week." It's a 12 hour drive for me so that's why I hadn't gone before. I fell in love with Toronto and now am dying to see Vancouver. How long is a foreigner allowed to stay in Canada without a visa? What do Canadians tend to think of Americans, southerners in particular (Kentucky, Tennessee, the Carolinas, Georgia)? Is there any benefit to US- Canada duel citizenship? Do I need to be fluent in French to live in Canada- I'm fluent in Spanish already. For anyone who has moved from the US to Canada, how long did it take you to get used to seeing everything in the metric system? For example, if someone tells me they live 10 miles away, I can picture the distance, but can't picture 10 kilometers. If Hilliary Clinton is elected President of the US, then I will seriously consider actually moving to Canada. I just need to know basic info (I'm sorry to bombard you with questions). How old do you have to be to vote, drive a car, sign a legal document, etc? Until something happens like Hilliary getting elected, then I'll stay put here in the US, but it's always nice to have a "backup plan."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 06:07 PM

315 posts, read 1,625,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
How long is a foreigner allowed to stay in Canada without a visa?
What do Canadians tend to think of Americans, southerners in particular (Kentucky, Tennessee, the Carolinas, Georgia)?
Is there any benefit to US- Canada duel citizenship?
Do I need to be fluent in French to live in Canada?
For anyone who has moved from the US to Canada, how long did it take you to get used to seeing everything in the metric system?
I moved from the US to Alberta 9 months ago (for work). I will answer your questions based on my experiences which may not be typical.

Most visitors are allowed to stay six months before leaving for applying for an extension. However, while you are visiting, you will not be allowed to work without a work permit. You will also not be covered by provincial health care.

It's hard to stereotype 33 million people. In general, my perception is that Canadians view most Americans as friendly neighbors. My wife is from the southern US (Georgia) and has never experienced anything negative because of where she is from.

The are a couple of benefits from dual citizenship including the right to vote, work, and attend school.

You don't need to be fluent in French for most of Canada but it sure will help in some parts. It all depends on where you want to live.

It took me about 3 minutes to get used to the metric system. If you have basic math skills, you will do just fine.

Judging by your questions, I suspect you are pretty young, how old are you?

Old 02-26-2008, 06:15 PM

I'm 17 and I'm just thinking of ideas for the future- I really want to live abroad for a while, maybe in Canada for a while and also in Europe, I'm learning German right now. I just fell in love with Toronto when I went and have been dying to go back ever since. I just wanted to get some more basic info so I can keep that in the back of my mind until the time to make those kinds of decisions actually comes.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:20 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,966,978 times
Quote:
I'm 17 and I'm just thinking of ideas for the future- I really want to live abroad for a while, maybe in Canada for a while and also in Europe, I'm learning German right now. I just fell in love with Toronto when I went and have been dying to go back ever since. I just wanted to get some more basic info so I can keep that in the back of my mind until the time to make those kinds of decisions actually comes.
best of luck to you!!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:56 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,754,028 times
Quote:
How old do you have to be to vote, drive a car, sign a legal document, etc?
A person is considered legally an adult at the age of 18. Most, if not all provinces call for drivers to at least 16 before being licenced. Different provinces have different ages for legal alcohol consumption.

With regard to voting, a Canadian citizen may vote once they reached 18. However, people who immigrate to Canada first apply for Permanent Resident's status; they are not permitted to vote. A person must have PR status for at least 3 years before being eligible to apply for citizenship. Only Canadian citizens are permitted to vote or hold a Canadian passport.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:19 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,145,022 times
Quote:
For example, if someone tells me they live 10 miles away, I can picture the distance, but can't picture 10 kilometers.
I lived in Alberta for 22 years and more than not I heard people refer to distances in miles and weight in pounds, height in feet. I honestly couldn't tell you then what my weight was in kilos or height in meters. LOL

Old 02-27-2008, 06:47 PM

Thanks you all for your help! I'd love to live abroad when I get older- hopefully in Canada and also in Germany or Britain, assuming everything works out. Looking forward to the day when I finally get to return to Toronto!

Old 02-27-2008, 07:20 PM

315 posts, read 1,625,224 times
Good luck

And don't worry about the US Presidency. The President doesn't actually have the power to really change the country (campaign speeches aside). All the important decisions (with a very few exceptions) are made by the 535 members of Congress.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:54 PM

Thanks for your help! I'm trying to plan a trip to Vancouver sometime later this year- probably August or September. Anyone have any ideas on what to do around the city? How is the weather?

Old 02-28-2008, 08:19 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,446,783 times
Quote:
Thanks for your help! I'm trying to plan a trip to Vancouver sometime later this year- probably August or September. Anyone have any ideas on what to do around the city? How is the weather?
August and September is typically warm and dry in Vancouver. Unlike the eastern half of this continent, Vancouver summers lack sticky humidity. Temperatures in the mid 20's Celsius, sometimes into the low 30's Celsius during hot spells. Nights are cool. You never need air conditioning in Vancouver in the summer.

There are millions of things to see and do around the city - you'll need a minimum of 3 days if you want to give the basics justice.

There are beaches, mountains, rainforests - people are out swimming, playing beach volleyball, going for walks/jogs along the waterfront, going boating in the ocean inlets that surround the city, going hiking in the mountains/forests a 20 minute drive north of downtown, going mountain biking down said mountains, or just lounging around the city enjoying the restaurants and shops... lots of different neighbourhoods to explore, but you also can head a short distance and be in the middle of the wilderness, or on an island full of cabins and art studios... or on Vancouver Island or in Seattle or partying it up in Whistler. Vancouver in August and September rocks!

I can link my own personal page which shows my own personal take on Vancouver, if that will help at all. It just has a lot of photos and my own take on the city's attractions - whether they're worth it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada