Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 12:57 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That is never going to happen. NEVER.

Long live the Queen!

Maybe not in our lifetime but it will happen I believe. My gut feeling though is after Her Majesty dies, it will fall out of favour even more. Of course this has happened in the past and they have survived but this time it will be much more difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 01:56 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Maybe not in our lifetime but it will happen I believe. My gut feeling though is after Her Majesty dies, it will fall out of favour even more. Of course this has happened in the past and they have survived but this time it will be much more difficult.
It's too bad, I'm a reluctant monarchist who was once a republican. Looking internationally, a constitutional monarchy is a good cultural check against a cult of personality surrounding political leaders. It's why we've historically related to Prime Ministers differently than the Americans have to Presidents, who they have a tendancy to put on pedestals, deify, and view as either an angel or a demon. Thailand has had many military coups, but no dicatator could create a cult of personality when the King already occupied that social role, and he was able to do what he could to promote liberties from his throne. I wonder to if Erdogan could become what he's becoming in Turkey if that country had a monarch. Certainly, I can't see Morocco producing someone like him. At the end of the day though, I don't think monarchs are that important, and I think we'd probably be fine, perhaps even better in some circumstances, if we became a republic. We have plenty of other things, however, that we should be focusing on instead that more important considering how fundamental the Crown is in Canadian law and how hard it would be to do and how little the public cares to do it. That, and as I said, it opens up some threats, making a politician the head of state.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:07 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
It's too bad, I'm a reluctant monarchist who was once a republican. Looking internationally, a constitutional monarchy is a good cultural check against a cult of personality surrounding political leaders. It's why we've historically related to Prime Ministers differently than the Americans have to Presidents, who they have a tendency to put on pedestals, deify, and view as either an angel or a demon. Thailand has had many military coups, but no dictator could create a cult of personality when the King already occupied that social role, and he was able to do what he could to promote liberties from his throne. I wonder to if Erdogan could become what he's becoming in Turkey if that country had a monarch. Certainly, I can't see Morocco producing someone like him. At the end of the day though, I don't think monarchs are that important, and I think we'd probably be fine, perhaps even better in some circumstances, if we became a republic. We have plenty of other things, however, that we should be focusing on instead that more important considering how fundamental the Crown is in Canadian law and how hard it would be to do and how little the public cares to do it. That, and as I said, it opens up some threats, making a politician the head of state.
Ditto. Exactly what I wanted to say

Old 12-07-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
It's too bad, I'm a reluctant monarchist who was once a republican. Looking internationally, a constitutional monarchy is a good cultural check against a cult of personality surrounding political leaders. It's why we've historically related to Prime Ministers differently than the Americans have to Presidents, who they have a tendancy to put on pedestals, deify, and view as either an angel or a demon. Thailand has had many military coups, but no dicatator could create a cult of personality when the King already occupied that social role, and he was able to do what he could to promote liberties from his throne. I wonder to if Erdogan could become what he's becoming in Turkey if that country had a monarch. Certainly, I can't see Morocco producing someone like him. At the end of the day though, I don't think monarchs are that important, and I think we'd probably be fine, perhaps even better in some circumstances, if we became a republic. We have plenty of other things, however, that we should be focusing on instead that more important considering how fundamental the Crown is in Canadian law and how hard it would be to do and how little the public cares to do it. That, and as I said, it opens up some threats, making a politician the head of state.
I do see the good in having a monarchy, politically, and I not anti-monarchy per se. I've just gone from being quite supportive, to seeing the other side.

Perhaps, William and Kate will be that change.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:02 PM

In the spirit of Christmas. Some imposters.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada