Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2016, 10:46 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Have you ever been to the US? There's lots of places in every major city and areas in many states where you can get by just fine in your language of choice, and never have to speak English beyond cursory phrases that we'd use to get by in "resort Spanish".

Yep...and I'm pretty sure that even in Canada there are a lot of people that can get by just fine without speaking English in a place like Richmond BC for example...

Old 12-21-2016, 11:33 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I know of people that actually did become Canadian citizens (passed the test, I do not know how) and do not speak English.....
Lots of them in my area, specifically Russians and Germans.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:50 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
I know of people that actually did become Canadian citizens (passed the test, I do not know how) and do not speak English.....
IDK about Canada, but in the US it's a really easy test. My Russian relatives way back in the day passed it with very minimal English. Also, the gov't publishes a study guide with all the questions. It's hard to miss. "Who was the first President of the USA"? Duh. I must admit, though; if I had to pass Canada's test, I couldn't do it without studying Canuck history. A lot of people from abroad: Anglophone Africa, for ex., already learn US and Brit history in school, so for them, the American exam is a piece of cake.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:29 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
Canada also produces some rather good wines itself, truth be told.

Wine Spectator - Low Membership Price!
What is frustrating though is inter-provincial boundaries on wine. Here in BC we make some incredible wine, as they do in Ontario, but they don't see much of it in Ontario, and we don't see much Ontario wine here in BC.

Last edited by Natnasci; 12-21-2016 at 12:46 PM..

Old 12-21-2016, 12:41 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Lots of them in my area, specifically Russians and Germans.
Are the Canadian citizens? How did they pass the citizen test without English or French? Do people just learn enough to pass, or are they part of a religious group that doesn't intermix much and were born here?

Old 12-21-2016, 03:20 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Are the Canadian citizens? How did they pass the citizen test without English or French? Do people just learn enough to pass, or are they part of a religious group that doesn't intermix much and were born here?
Yes Canadian citizens...do not ask me how they pass the test but they do do somehow.....

Old 12-21-2016, 05:07 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Not, they are not part of a religious group. Language rules used to be less strict - I'm not sure they were enforced at all. Manitoba gets to choose its immigrants and since there are so many here already of Russian-German background, and many Canadan-born people never lost their language, it was never much of an issue in southern Manitoba. This article gives some insight into immigration here, as it used to be. If I have time later, I'll see if I can find other articles.Why Canada needs a flood of immigrants - The Globe and Mail

New language rules came into play in 2012 and since then immigration has slowed quite a bit.

ETA: here is an academic paper that goes into more detail about how Manitoba's provincial nominee program differs http://www.academia.edu/2612117/A_De...ominee_Program

Last edited by netwit; 12-21-2016 at 05:21 PM..

Old 12-21-2016, 05:53 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
We have access now. Free trade doesn't mean countries have to join.
I'm not opposed to a wine-pipeline. Europe has beer pipelines.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Have you ever been to the US? There's lots of places in every major city and areas in many states where you can get by just fine in your language of choice, and never have to speak English beyond cursory phrases that we'd use to get by in "resort Spanish".
That's my point. I don't speak Spanish or Cantonese, so at times it's rather difficult to communicate with US residents. I propose that if Spanish speaking people (who manage just fine in the US) join Canada, they should be fluent in English.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Memorization, I suppose. Fluency in English is a growing problem in post-secondary institutions. Students pass the TOEFL exams, but try reading what they write, or having a conversation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada