Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2017, 05:45 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times

Advertisements

And we don't care about Canada so it's a wash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 05:47 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Because people are entitled to a basic level of human comfort and health no matter where they live..That includes decent shelter that isnt falling apart or full of mold, affordable and healthy food, warm and comfortable clothing and clean and safe drinking water. People are entitled to all of these things in my opinion and they arent getting them in large parts of the north. That is my problem.
Welcome to the world.

You are wrong. You are not entitled to any of those things, with the possible exception of water from a public source. Everything else is on you. Especially in the way you mean, by the government providing a specified level of comfort.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:52 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Welcome to the world.

You are wrong. You are not entitled to any of those things, with the possible exception of water from a public source. Everything else is on you. Especially in the way you mean, by the government providing a specified level of comfort.
Well I disagree and I am entitled to my opinion just as you are entitled to yours. There is no right or wrong.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:59 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Because people are entitled to a basic level of human comfort and health no matter where they live..That includes decent shelter that isnt falling apart or full of mold, affordable and healthy food, warm and comfortable clothing and clean and safe drinking water. People are entitled to all of these things in my opinion and they arent getting them in large parts of the north. That is my problem.
You are right. It IS your problem. You think people are entitled to have other people pay for them to stay in a dead-end evironment that is inhospitable and impractical and lacking in opportunity. That is your problem.

Nobody is forcing them to stay there. They may not have had a choice in being born there but they are choosing to stay there and nobody else is forcing that choice upon them.

If you don't like the conditions of the place they choose to live why aren't you trying to persuade them to abandon their choices instead of trying to persuade other people to encourage and pay for their folly?

Old 02-06-2017, 06:05 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Well I disagree and I am entitled to my opinion just as you are entitled to yours. There is no right or wrong.
You're entitled to your opinion but you aren't entitled to be a nagging pest about it.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:53 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Just quit.

$229M for the highway expansion. That's to connect the 3,500 people of Inuvik to the 900 or so in Tuk.

There's less than 7,000 people in Iqaluit, by far the most populous center in Nunavut. Goose Bay wouldn't exist if it wasn't for NATO and WWII, and has about 7,000 people. Three days by ferry and $64M. That's about $4,500 a head for the port expansion.

Exactly how much largesse by Canadian taxpayers is enough?
What about my Trans Canada highway expansion proposal? Connecting Eastern Canada (~22 million) with Western Canada (~13 million) sounds like a good idea. Currently there is a two lane highway at the worst chokepoint, in other cases there are two separate roads (TC Northern and TC Southern) so usually a total of 4 lanes but higher in city areas.

This just seems inadequate for a relatively wealthy country like Canada. The fault is squarely on Ontario, it has the highest population and highest tax base. Quebec has a decent autoroute system and is expanding controlled access to NB (almost done). Most of the Canadian prairies have four lanes or four laning would be easy in most sections.

The irony is that when Canada was much less populated it was much more ambitious with infrastructure programs. I was reading a book on how they constructed the TC through the Canadian Shield and all the blasting that went on. I also read about how they constructed the railroad to Churchill. Ambitious, hardy souls that were out in -40C weather conquering the north. I believe that had a railroad never been built to Churchill, it would never be built now in this economic climate.

As an American I view Canadians as super tough and outdoorsy, conquering the woods, but I'm beginning to think that was circa 1850 Canadians...

Old 02-07-2017, 12:52 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
there is nothing wrong with that you think, but when you force other taxpayers to pay for that you want, that's when it starts to look wrong.

yes, you can feel entitled to anything, just don't expect others to pay that for you.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:34 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
What about my Trans Canada highway expansion proposal? Connecting Eastern Canada (~22 million) with Western Canada (~13 million) sounds like a good idea. Currently there is a two lane highway at the worst chokepoint, in other cases there are two separate roads (TC Northern and TC Southern) so usually a total of 4 lanes but higher in city areas.
Question: have you ever driven the roads between the Ontario/Manitoba border and Sudbury, Ontario?

Old 02-07-2017, 08:15 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
there is nothing wrong with that you think, but when you force other taxpayers to pay for that you want, that's when it starts to look wrong.

yes, you can feel entitled to anything, just don't expect others to pay that for you.
Well other taxpayers force me to pay for things that I don't want like a military so I guess we are even.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:39 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Question: have you ever driven the roads between the Ontario/Manitoba border and Sudbury, Ontario?
No, why is that important?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada