Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 05:53 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,899,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Well, I just read this article a couple days ago. The officer in question is a pretty notorious thug who is no longer a police officer because of a well documented history of police brutality.

Former Officer 728, Stéfanie Trudeau, took man on 'starlight tour,' says complainant - Montreal - CBC News

Beyond that, the "starlight tours" in Saskatoon were by many accounts not a couple of isolated incidents, it's just that those were the ones that the police were caught on. It was reportedly a systemic, known phenomenon that had developed it's own nicknames because of how common the action was. It had been going on for decades.

CBC News In Depth: Aboriginal Canadians
It's shocking that the police officer remained in service for three more years!
That particular police officer was clearly not suitable for the position.

Is the suggestion that 'star-lighting' is prevalent in Canadian police forces, or is this more a problem of individual officers from various locations abusing the position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Reading this thread, it seems like a few Canadians are naive about their own country. The forces of racism and hate do not stop at borders. They run from Nunavut to Tierra del Fuego, from Svalbard to Capetown, from Norilsk to Ovan. Just because Canada does not monitor race statistics does not mean that Canadian people are colorblind and not aware of cultural differences. Banning people from saying hateful crap does not prevent them from thinking it.

Question: How is it okay to differentiate your friends as Russian, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, Chinese, etc, while it is almost taboo to discuss their race? Europeans do this too. They look at facial structure and make assumptions about people's backgrounds based on the shape of their eyes or the thickness of their lips and doing so is perfectly acceptable. God forbid you identify somebody by their skin color though (unless among close friends and then the veil gets lifted).
I must be oblivious. Recently graffiti at a train station was immediately treated as a hate crime and quickly solved. Racial acts in Canada, from my understanding, are rare and swiftly dealt with.

As for thinking 'hate crime' ... thought crime?

I don't think it's a problem to discuss skin colour with people who have a different skin colour.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
In the opposite direction, in Latin America you get nicknames based on your color and they are not meant to be insulting.
Zwart Piet is a nickname that was not meant to be insulting.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:38 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,679,522 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
My partner's calls his best friend in Venezuela Gorda

Sorry random but your post reminded me of her.
Trinidadians are horrible re nick names ... and terms used to refer to people .... ex any one Asian is "the Chini man/ woman".... " cokes"..... "brown skinned fella"... "the white boy"......
everyone has a nice name. For years I only new some of my family or family freinds by these made up names. Most people dont get referred to by their real name. They dont think it is offensive and are not meaning to be.... but it has taken years to get that through to some people I know. The good thing is that when Trinidadians are talking with other Trinidadians they are speaking English differently and fast so people who are not from there often not fully get what they are saying lol. Trinidadians and I think Jamacians often do that when they are trying to tease or poke fun at someone.

I know certain centeral american people would call hispanic freinds that had more oriental shape eyes "chino" .. ex like that group Chino y Nacho.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:49 PM

7,241 posts, read 9,228,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I wish this was true but its not. Not even close. I am sure everyone will agree with the above comment, but that hasn't been my experience here at all. As some on that has lived in NS, Montreal and Toronto I don't see how some one could say such a thing.
Well, I haven't lived in Nova Scotia, Montreal or Toronto. I think it was Bimbim who referenced how he might call a Somali a Somali. I'm not saying racism doesn't exist, to be clear. I'm saying I would describe my BIL as Jamaican. I wouldn't think of describing him as black anymore than I would think of describing a Russian as white. You haven't found that to be the case?

Old 01-15-2017, 10:09 AM

15,106 posts, read 15,737,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The guy in the second video was arrested.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-on-video.html

It was big news here and shocked people at how the hate just flowed. He turned himself in though.
what a tool!

Old 01-15-2017, 10:12 AM

15,106 posts, read 15,737,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Trinidadians are horrible re nick names ... and terms used to refer to people .... ex any one Asian is "the Chini man/ woman".... " cokes"..... "brown skinned fella"... "the white boy"......
everyone has a nice name. For years I only new some of my family or family freinds by these made up names. Most people dont get referred to by their real name. They dont think it is offensive and are not meaning to be.... but it has taken years to get that through to some people I know. The good thing is that when Trinidadians are talking with other Trinidadians they are speaking English differently and fast so people who are not from there often not fully get what they are saying lol. Trinidadians and I think Jamacians often do that when they are trying to tease or poke fun at someone.

I know certain centeral american people would call hispanic freinds that had more oriental shape eyes "chino" .. ex like that group Chino y Nacho.
Speaking of Trini I got a bottle of Angostura Rum Punch as a gift from a colleague at work. Have you had this before? Its got a bit of kick to it!

Old 01-15-2017, 12:44 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,768,566 times
Quote:

Latin Americans are very similar, they have nicknames for everyone and many are not PC. My aunt's nickname is 'gorda,'(fat), there's 'chino' for people who look Asian. My husband's nickname in Portuguese is something similar to 'blackie.' All his friends call him this. I had an uncle who called me 'negrita' when I was younger.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Simple. In the minds of WASP North America, Roman Catholics' primary allegiance is to the Pope, in Vatican City. Only secondarily, do they owe allegiance to the US or Canada. In other words, Roman Catholics will do what the Pope says before they will do what their country asks.

This was a real fear when JFK was elected President. He was a Roman Catholic--would he institute Roman Catholic policies in the United States, where they would, in some cases, conflict with the Bill of Rights? (Separation of church and state being the main worry, but there were others.) Of course, history tells us that JFK did no such thing, but nobody knew that for sure after election night in November, 1960.

Notice that I said "WASP North America." There were a number of White Anglo-Saxon Protestants (WASPs) in both Canada and the US who never rose to the level of the KKK, but outside of neighbourly contacts over the back fence ("Hi, Mrs. O'Leary! Nice day, eh?") and commercial dealings ("Mr. Battaglia's market has the freshest produce"), wanted nothing to do with Catholics. I remember some of my high school buddies being told by their parents that they were not to take their girl of choice to a school dance "because she's Catholic."

That feeling is mostly gone now, and to the vast majority of WASPs, Catholics are just normal people. But the KKK and others like it, are still stuck in the 1950s on this matter.
The history goes back farther than that, it goes back to the anti-Catholic movement in England. It was then brought to the Anericas. Anti-Catholic sentiments for example have always been present in US culture, it is a very anti-Catholic society.

Anything that is out of the WASP umbrella is unacceptable for KKK members.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I 100% agree. I know at least for myself this has become very obvious. I can tell you lost more things going on in some other parts of the world then in Canada for sure. This is a very scary reality because it almost suggests it could be easier for things to fly under the radar in Canada before things get out of control... because too many of us are paying too much attention to other things and are distracted from things going on in our own backyard.

Learn a lesson from us in the US. I remember thinking how unimportant and ridiculous D. Trump was when years back, he was calling Obama a Musilm and fueling the birther movement to discredit his presidency. We ignored all of the 'foolish' people who believed him, and ignored their growing movement. When he ran for Presidency, we laughed. When he was chosen as the Republican front runner, we were shocked but still thought there's no way.'

Now look at us. Pay attention to the crazies, don't ignore them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada