Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 03:34 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
NASA news=
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/n...ecord-globally
How does global warming affect me here in Montreal? well its mid January and i've yet to use my snow shovel this winter and weather forecast puts daytime high temps above freezing all week.
And here in BC lower mainland we've had a little over a month of the coldest, most icy and snowy winter conditions in 20 years (cold enough that local lakes froze over enough to skate on), streets covered in 4 inches of solid ice (which created the salt fiasco) ..... but it only lasted one month.

Today I think is the last day of our winter conditions and tomorrow is the very beginning of spring weather. I hope. The next couple of weeks ahead is forecasting early spring like weather and once we get past the middle of February all the early spring flowers should be coming up as usual.

This is the forecast for the next 2 weeks for my part of the Fraser basin, daytime temperatures all well above freezing, some sunshine and not too, too much rain:
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/canada/maple-ridge

Oh, what a relief it is.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 03:45 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
And here in BC lower mainland we've had a little over a month of the coldest, most icy and snowy winter conditions in 20 years (cold enough that local lakes froze over enough to skate on), streets covered in 4 inches of solid ice (which created the salt fiasco) ..... but it only lasted one month.

Today I think is the last day of our winter conditions and tomorrow is the very beginning of spring weather. I hope. The next couple of weeks ahead is forecasting early spring like weather and once we get past the middle of February all the early spring flowers should be coming up as usual.

This is the forecast for the next 2 weeks for my part of the Fraser basin, daytime temperatures all well above freezing, some sunshine and not too, too much rain:
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/canada/maple-ridge

Oh, what a relief it is.

Yup. Although we never had any snow that stuck downtown, it has been chilly. However I didn't really mind. The mountains looked incredible on those crips sunny days.

You're right though. I can feel a change today.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:54 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Wildfires happen all over BC, not just southern BC. Yukon, NWT and northern Alberta and Saskatchewan have been hit very hard too. (and Alaska) The fires start in very early spring and continue through summer into late autumn when the rainy season starts.

Thanks. You know, it's always puzzled me why BC was hard-hit by bark beetles and forest fires, while WA State was not. (As if the beetles stayed on the N side of the border, ha!) I first heard about the fires in the early 2000's, from a friend in Nelson. There was no similar crisis, and not a peep about bark beetles in the Seattle newspaper. It made me wonder if the timber industry in WA State was suppressing news about the beetles, and drying of the forests. Maybe now, 10-15 years later, there's more about it in the news in WA, but I never heard anything about fires in Western WA from friends there, either.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanks. You know, it's always puzzled me why BC was hard-hit by bark beetles and forest fires, while WA State was not. (As if the beetles stayed on the N side of the border, ha!) I first heard about the fires in the early 2000's, from a friend in Nelson. There was no similar crisis, and not a peep about bark beetles in the Seattle newspaper. It made me wonder if the timber industry in WA State was suppressing news about the beetles, and drying of the forests. Maybe now, 10-15 years later, there's more about it in the news in WA, but I never heard anything about fires in Western WA from friends there, either.
I don't think the Washington State timber industry has been suppressing news about the beetles, if anything they and other northern states timber industries have been trying to spread the alert about them. Part of the reason you didn't hear much about them in western Washington was because there hadn't been as much beetle activity in the wetter, lower elevation areas west of the Cascades mountain range. It's the parts of Washington east of the Cascades (the driest part of Washington) that has been hardest hit.

But it gets worse. If you look at the 2013 map shown in the article below (click on map) you will see the expansion from 2000 to 2013 of the mountain pine beetles from Alaska and western Canada into Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, S. Dakota, Nevada, Utah, Colorado and since 2013 there is now evidence of them in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas and other parts of the south and east as far as Minnesota (and god knows where else they've reached by now 3 years later since their western range shown on the 2013 map).

It also bears mentioning that they have now all started dining on several other types of trees besides lodgepole pines. Add to that, another startling discovery about them occurred in the summer of 2009 when a massively huge cloud of them that darkened the sky were observed migrating eastwards flying over top of the Rocky mountains. Prior to that nobody had been aware that such huge numbers of them could or would migrate en masse such long distances and at such high elevations. It was thought they migrated singly and in short flights.

Pine Beetle Epidemic - National Geographic Magazine

Western North America isn't the only area where there is an increasingly devastating problem with bark beetles. There are 5 species of southern bark beetles that have been steadily expanding out of Florida into the states north and west of Florida.

Last edited by Zoisite; 01-20-2017 at 01:45 AM..

Old 02-03-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yup. Although we never had any snow that stuck downtown, it has been chilly. However I didn't really mind. The mountains looked incredible on those crips sunny days.

You're right though. I can feel a change today.
Well that didn't last long. Nice snowfall today in the Lower Mainland.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Well that didn't last long. Nice snowfall today in the Lower Mainland.
Yep. Lots of thick white stuff coming down out there. I figure it's a good day for cooking up a big pot of bean stew in the crock pot.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:26 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
At this rate, Vancouver will have a winter like Toronto this year with all the snow we are getting.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Yep. Lots of thick white stuff coming down out there. I figure it's a good day for cooking up a big pot of bean stew in the crock pot.

I'm just glad it happened today and not yesterday, as I had to drive out Maple Ridge, then to Royal Columbian in New West, then back to Maple Ridge, and then back home in downtown Vancouver, all with my wheelchair bound mother.

So thankful her appointment wasn't for today

Old 02-03-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
At this rate, Vancouver will have a winter like Toronto this year with all the snow we are getting.
Well, wait another week or two and we can back at taunting them again.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:56 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Well, wait another week or two and we can back at taunting them again.
I always figured you guys did that on purpose (taunting).

However, here in the middle of nowhere, in the vicinity of Winterpeg, we had two days AND nights in January where the temperature remained above freezing. And we had rain. Pretty unheard of for here. And we had the latest recorded first snowfall but I can't remember exactly what day that was as my husband was in the hospital. But we were having very mild temperatures - as high as 11C, I think - in November, and around 5C in the first week or two of December. And we basically went suddenly from above freezing to -20C and lower from about mid-December to mid January when we had that warm-up. We are back in the deep freeze now though.

As far as climate change, we have had several very rainy seasons. The ground has been saturated for at least two years and we have a large amount of snow and there are fears of a flood again. Nothing ever really dried up last year, which caused a lot of harvest problems. Farmers were reporting record yields on corn crops (100 bushels an acre), but then they had trouble getting out on the field to harvest it. Farmers were doing field work in my area up to the first week of December, not due solely to the wet weather, but also because the unseasonably mild temperatures allowed them to do so.

But it's hard to say how much is seasonal variations and how much is due to climate change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada