Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 06:13 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,620,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambinobetrippin View Post
There's this state agency where I'm at (SLED) that handles expungements. I can pay 25 dollars to get a copy of my records that way. Does that count or do I still have to go to the local police station where I was booked?
Go to the station where you were booked first.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:40 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Because after asking around from what I've read expunged records aren't recognized in Canada since it was a crime committed outside of Canada. As I stated in another post since I gone through a diversion program and didn't even serve any jailtime for the charge I was still "convicted" even though the charges were dropped and expunged after I completed the program.
If there's no record, i.e. the "convicted" record has been expunged, when the Canuck authorities look you up, there'll be nothing there, right? No record. On what basis did that one guy tell you there would be a record? How would they be able to reach back in time with their research, and access a record that no longer exists, but that only existed for a certain window in time?

The only way you can find out for sure is to hire a Canuck immigration lawyer.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:52 PM

34 posts, read 26,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If there's no record, i.e. the "convicted" record has been expunged, when the Canuck authorities look you up, there'll be nothing there, right? No record. On what basis did that one guy tell you there would be a record? How would they be able to reach back in time with their research, and access a record that no longer exists, but that only existed for a certain window in time?

The only way you can find out for sure is to hire a Canuck immigration lawyer.
Well like I said after asking other sources since I gone through a diversion program such as pretrial intervention that still counts as being "convicted" even though I never serve jailtime for the charge and the charge has been dropped by now anyways. I still don't understand it. but that's what I was told.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Well like I said after asking other sources since I gone through a diversion program such as pretrial intervention that still counts as being "convicted" even though I never serve jailtime for the charge and the charge has been dropped by now anyways. I still don't understand it. but that's what I was told.
You were told wrong information. My police officer father said a diversion is not the same as a conviction. My dad said a diversion happens when the crime isn't very serious and it's a second chance. A diversion should not appear on your record, but checking with the station is a good idea.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
You were told wrong information. My police officer father said a diversion is not the same as a conviction. My dad said a diversion happens when the crime isn't very serious and it's a second chance. A diversion should not appear on your record, but checking with the station is a good idea.
After searching online about diversion it's not a form of conviction you're right. So the guy from yahoo answers must not know what he's talking about then.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:37 AM

I'm still going to check and see if my record is actually expunged, but since a diversion doesn't count as a conviction does this means I don't have to apply for criminal rehabilitation then?

Old 01-18-2017, 05:52 PM

I appreciate the people defending me, but I'll ask again. Since I gone through a diversion and it doesn't count as a conviction does this mean I don't have to apply for criminal rehabilitation?

Old 01-18-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I appreciate the people defending me, but I'll ask again. Since I gone through a diversion and it doesn't count as a conviction does this mean I don't have to apply for criminal rehabilitation?
Most likely not.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Most likely not.
So I'm not inadmissible and can apply for a study permit then?

Last edited by Gambinobetrippin; 01-18-2017 at 06:25 PM..

Old 01-18-2017, 06:16 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
So I can apply for a study permit then?
A definitive answer would only be available from someone who recently applied under the same circumstances OR a certified immigration advisor.

Taking your answer from an anonymous, public opinion forum is a recipe for disappointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada