Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 08:45 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times

Advertisements

Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVkxffUTq1I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 08:57 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,286,399 times
Trump of the North.

As the resident Albertan and labeled conservative, I'll pass. There is such a thing as too much crazy. Also, unlike the US, the PM has nearly unchecked power.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:37 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Bonne chance mon Kev!

Old 01-19-2017, 10:26 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,053 times
I got to admit... I would not completely write this idea off. I am historically very liberal more based on values vs the actual candidates. In this situation I would want to look at his plat form more before I completely dismissed the idea. So I am not sure I would vote yes... but I am not completely a firm no.

I like Justin. I voted for Justin... but he needs to tone down the nice guy persona a little bit more to ensure that when it comes to trade and business negotiations that the rest of the world knows that we mean business and are not going to be jerked around. Being nice gets you invited to parties.... being respected gets people to take to seriously and know their will be consciences if they rub you the wrong way. Justin with Obama work. Justin with Trump... I am not so sure. Justin is going to have to learn how to convey that he means business.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:32 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I got to admit... I would not completely write this idea off. I am historically very liberal more based on values vs the actual candidates. In this situation I would want to look at his plat form more before I completely dismissed the idea. So I am not sure I would vote yes... but I am not completly a firm no.

I like Justin. I voted for Justin... but he needs to tone down the nice guy persona a little bit more to ensure that when it comes to trade and business negotiations that the rest of the world knows that we mean business and are not going to be jerked around.
For the record, I am not really a partisan of any political party, though I do lean left-centre left.

That said, why do you get the impression that Canada has been jerked around internationally since Justin Trudeau has been PM?

Old 01-19-2017, 10:42 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
I checked with my Conservative friends. No. No bloody way.

I agree with them.

This from someone that knows him well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtWX7ZYl-pQ

Then there is this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuqemytQ5QA

Old 01-19-2017, 01:12 PM

7,679 posts, read 5,525,023 times
Yes, Arlene and Kevin clashed regularly on Dragons Den and as I recall she even walked out once in the middle of taping because she was so upset with him during one of their exchanges. It made for entertaining TV. He never got upset and remained cool and logical. Actually I think Robert Herjavec rather than Arlene was considered the most compassionate Dragon though.

When Mark Burnett decided to duplicate the show in the U.S. with a show called Shark Tank, Kevin and Robert sat in 2 of the 5 Shark chairs while also remaining with Dragons Den for some years. I always thought it a little strange that two Canadians were mentors on a show that celebrated American entrepreneurship. However, I think Robert with his compassion and Kevin with his cold logic and showmanship widened the appeal of the show. I also "get" Kevin's sense of humor although I understand why many people don't.

You can see Kevin in action on Shark Tank on Friday night on CTV or ABC.

Would Kevin make a good political leader? I don't know. I think it would be interesting to hear his unique take on various topics because he may have some good ideas and his ideas would be logically presented and in an "interesting" and entertaining way.

As far as Kevin's business acumen is concerned, well there was a less than favourable article written about that back in 2012: Kevin O'Leary: He's not a billionaire, he just plays one on TV

Old 01-19-2017, 01:19 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
The more i see of this pompous elitist twit Trudeau the more i'm liking O'Leary

Old 01-19-2017, 01:32 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,151,356 times
Don't laugh it off, many did with Trump and before we knew it, there was no doubt he was going to be the GOP nominee. The CPC leadership race is insanely crowded just like the GOP race was and part of why Trump stood out was he was different than the others, not a career politician, and had a recognizable name. If Conservative Party member don't want O'Leary to be the leader, the best is for them to get weaken candidates to drop out and rally around one person who stands the best chance of defeating him or else I wouldn't be surprised to see this go the way of the GOP.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:11 PM

7,679 posts, read 5,525,023 times
Here are some differences between Canada and the U.S.:

- The size of the electorate is small as only paid members of the party can vote. Total membership in political parties in Canada is below 2% compared to the U.S. where "almost one-quarter of Americans identify as Republican party members and can then potentially vote for the nominee."

- Overall voting is over in just one day so a lot less attention is paid to the race.

- Maximum campaign spending limit allowed in Canada is $5 million, but it is unlikely anyone will spend near that amount in this campaign.

- Maximum amount that can be self-financed is $25,000 and $100,000 is needed for the registration fee and a compliance deposit.

- Private donations are limited, and corporate donations are forbidden.

- The media environment is different, low key with limited media attention. In fact, none of the three leadership debates held so far was broadcast on national television, except on CPAC.

Leery about O'Leary? Don't be - Winnipeg Free Press
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada