Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2017, 07:41 PM

525 posts, read 453,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
You mean like the way they treat people who have an Israeli visa in their passports, regardless of their country of origin?

Besides, pretty much any Muslim with serious enough money to matter is too busy feeding at the trough of the US to care.
I'm not sure I understand the argument. I mean, there's nothing I, living in the US, can do if some random "Muslim" country thousands of miles away decides to pull a jerk move, nor does being Muslim mean that I endorse it. Believe me, if I had the power to control every Muslim-majority country, I would change them a LOT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 08:11 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
That's where KLM wants to set the bar. She wants American travelers to be harassed in Muslim countries, but never once has she ranted (among her many rants) about how those countries already treat some foreigners.

Then again, she's expressed concern over travel through the American South because she thinks bad things will happen to her and her husband there. It's kind of bizarre.
Okay, I missed that part. But I took it to mean along the lines of "how would you feel if you were treated that way." I agree that tit for tat is not a good argument.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:28 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
Default ........

Quote:
You mean like the way they treat people who have an Israeli visa in their passports, regardless of their country of origin?

Besides, pretty much any Muslim with serious enough money to matter is too busy feeding at the trough of the US to care.
This is something that really annoys me. I totally dont think people get that all arab or Muslim Nations are not the same and often have very littlw or nothing to do with each other. In what you are saying you fail to mention Isreal does the same thing. You also cant compare Isreal ( that has the motherload of drama going on) with The USA.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:31 PM

Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
I'm not sure I understand the argument. I mean, there's nothing I, living in the US, can do if some random "Muslim" country thousands of miles away decides to pull a jerk move, nor does being Muslim mean that I endorse it. Believe me, if I had the power to control every Muslim-majority country, I would change them a LOT!
This is the stupidity behind this situation..... because want to try to stereotype to justify ignorance and racism.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:35 PM

Default ......

Quote:
That's where KLM wants to set the bar. She wants American travelers to be harassed in Muslim countries, but never once has she ranted (among her many rants) about how those countries already treat some foreigners.

Then again, she's expressed concern over travel through the American South because she thinks bad things will happen to her and her husband there. It's kind of bizarre.
Sometimes people need to experience what ot feels like to be degraded and perscuited before they get how bad it is.

If people in the south of the usa can get away with murdering an unarmed black teenager walking home from school ....... then I am not sure why anyone feels safe there?

Old 02-11-2017, 05:37 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Perhaps not a wall per-se but a tertiary effect nonetheless:

Windsor school board forbids student trips to United States

“Where one person doesn’t go, nobody goes … we want to make sure nobody is excluded,” said public school board spokesman Scott Scantlebury. Howitt said Windsor boasts multicultural schools with students from many different countries. “We’re trying to make prudent decisions.”

Windsor West MP Brian Masse described as “ironic” the fact some of those cancelled trips were for school classes planning to attend Metro Detroit’s Holocaust Memorial Center.

“When ever there was a point in which the world needed to learn about racism and prejudice and the unspeakable truths that need to be spoken,” Masse told the Star. He accuses the Trump administration — less than a month in power — of already building “a virtual wall” between two countries with such close personal and business ties.

Masse said he’s already heard of Canadians being turned back. Family and friends, he said, are refusing to cross the border in the current climate of uncertainty and unpredictability, and he said he’s even heard of Americans unwilling to visit Canada due to fears of what the reception might be at the border on their return trip.

Last edited by BruSan; 02-11-2017 at 05:54 AM..

Old 02-11-2017, 08:17 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
This is something that really annoys me. I totally dont think people get that all arab or Muslim Nations are not the same and often have very littlw or nothing to do with each other. In what you are saying you fail to mention Isreal does the same thing. You also cant compare Isreal ( that has the motherload of drama going on) with The USA.
Actually, yes, virtually all Muslim countries ban anybody with an Israeli visa in their passports from entering. They have that little tidbit in common.

BTW, it should be of interest to all of those who are outraged by the US ban, Europeans feel even more strongly in favor of such a ban than Americans do. They have a more up close and personal view of what is happening with the refugees.

Most Europeans want immigration ban from Muslim-majority countries, poll reveals | The Independent

Old 02-11-2017, 08:24 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Sometimes people need to experience what ot feels like to be degraded and perscuited before they get how bad it is.

If people in the south of the usa can get away with murdering an unarmed black teenager walking home from school ....... then I am not sure why anyone feels safe there?
Bad things can happen anywhere. As I said previously, I think you might just be blown away by the southern hospitality you likely receive in the South. My wife is Colombian and not the fair skinned variety. Nobody has ever been anything except nice to us when we travel down there. The only place where we have ever seen true ugliness was in Chamonix, France, but we'd still go back. One bigoted couple is not indicative of the entire population.

Which unarmed, innocent black kid got murdered and the assailant was let free? Are we talking about Trayvon Martin? If so, IMO Zimmerman should have been sent to jail. However, it was not a case of some innocent little kid walking home from school.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:34 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I can't help feeling that this sounds like blaming the victim. If the women wasn't dressed that way she wouldn't of gotten raped. If the gay couple weren't holding hands they wouldn't of got beaten up etc.

When did simply legally crossing the US border become a provocative act? I would give it more credence if she were from one of the 7 countries banned, but even they have been told if they hold Canadian passports, that they should be fine.

The fact is that many muslims are entering the US. She really had no reason NOT to continue on as normal. If people are going to point fingers at her, what about every other muslim that has entered the US since this mess began?
This is why I said 'IF.'

Unfortunately our democracy is turning into an autocracy, the culture of crossing into the US changed after 9-11, and it will keep changing.

I was just talking to a best friend of mine, She is a White American, her husband is a Turkish LPR. They were supposed to go to a wedding in Cabo but decided not to go, it is too risky.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:37 AM

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Perhaps not a wall per-se but a tertiary effect nonetheless:

Windsor school board forbids student trips to United States

“Where one person doesn’t go, nobody goes … we want to make sure nobody is excluded,” said public school board spokesman Scott Scantlebury. Howitt said Windsor boasts multicultural schools with students from many different countries. “We’re trying to make prudent decisions.”

Windsor West MP Brian Masse described as “ironic” the fact some of those cancelled trips were for school classes planning to attend Metro Detroit’s Holocaust Memorial Center.

“When ever there was a point in which the world needed to learn about racism and prejudice and the unspeakable truths that need to be spoken,” Masse told the Star. He accuses the Trump administration — less than a month in power — of already building “a virtual wall” between two countries with such close personal and business ties.

Masse said he’s already heard of Canadians being turned back. Family and friends, he said, are refusing to cross the border in the current climate of uncertainty and unpredictability, and he said he’s even heard of Americans unwilling to visit Canada due to fears of what the reception might be at the border on their return trip.
I think this is a great move!!! We have Holocaust Museums in our own country and enough people in this country that have come from places effected by race or religious wars that we could off education fron in Canada. I would not my kid to be subjected to this degarding experience....and I am sure no school wants to deal with thr chance certain students could be detained at the boarder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada